Metalica: Black Album DVD-A?

M

Mega2000

Audioholic
does anyone have this? it might actually be a SACD, but I was wondering it is worth getting. Mainly, is it a good 5.1 mix

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
Mega2000 said:
does anyone have this? it might actually be a SACD, but I was wondering it is worth getting. Mainly, is it a good 5.1 mix

It's DVD-A and it's, OK. It's clearly better than the CD but compared to other DVD-A's, not at the top of the list. I have not listened to it for a while but I remember there not being a lot of use of the surrounds. I think I also felt the bass was not as powerful as the CD version but again it's been a while. I just was not "Wowed" by it. If that makes any sense.

I would recc. getting it just because it's a pretty big improvement over the CD. But, in terms of what DVD-A is capable of, not that impressive.

Shinerman

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I have it- it sounds okay, but as Shinerman says, it's no reference disc. I really like Enter Sandman; they got the mix just right one that one. The rest of the mixes were a bit annoying. I just don't "get" having the lead guitar wandering around the room. :confused:

P

Privateer

Full Audioholic
So why would you want to take a 2CH source and butcher it into a 5.1Mix?

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

I own it and must say it is lacking midrange. The highs are there the bass is ok it just doesn't blend well for me.

I love the original disc but for overall quality on DVD-A I would give it a 2.5 out of 5.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Privateer said:
So why would you want to take a 2CH source and butcher it into a 5.1Mix?
Well, I'd say the idea isn't to butcher it. ;) But obviously that's precised what often occurs. That said, the surround mix is very very effective in Enter Sandman. You hear the little boy saying his prayer and the very ominous sounding Hetfield sounding even more ominous given the different localization. It's hard to explain but very easy to hear.

BTW, I don't really think the Black Album is that great, FWIW. I'm an old school Metallica fan, and haven't really been crazy about anything they did since Newstead joined the band.

B

BGLeduc

Junior Audioholic
I was never really keen on the sound of the CD, and I thought the DVD-A just spread that sound around. The bass was OK, but the rest just did not work for me.

With my ears, gear, and room, I thought the upper mids and highs had a harsh character that I just did not get along with.

I sold it after just a few plays.

BGL

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis