Media Server Questions using PlayFi

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
From what I've found online and here in the forum if the I'm still a bit unclear about several things regarding media servers. I understand the principal of how NAS works but I still don't understand how the music server will work in my system. I thought I was tech savvy but I guess not so much. Ok, so I'm going to try to dumb this down as much as possible so it makes sense to you and I:

What I'm trying to do: I'm trying open the playFi app on my Iphone -> tap Find Media Server -> Stream my WAV/ FLAC files from my hard-drive to my receiver wirelessly from my Iphone.

What I have:
Reciver with PlayFi only
Iphone with PlayFi app
Apple Laptop
A hard-drive filled with mp3 & Flac & WAV files

Question 1: I'm currently not able to create a media server using just my hard-drive and computer, correct?

Question 2: If i buy a device, such as a QNAP TS-251A can I be sure it will be compatible with PlayFi? From what I understand the answer to this question should be YES.
(PlayFi says, "The Play-Fi app is capable of recognizing any Media Server or NAS (Network Attached Storage device) that is broadcasting over your home network, so long as it is set up for open access utilizing standard DLNA profile and protocol [Click to learn what DLNA means] Some DLNA servers that make use of advanced streaming conversion or protection will not be compatible with Play-Fi.")

Question 3: If I do need a special NAS deceive what you would you recommend that is not super complicated?

Lastly, I don't always trust these sites after I read some of the reviews about the products:
https://www.techradar.com/news/the-10-best-nas-devices-reviewed

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
There are multiple free applications that can host all of your media via DLNA. I don't use that functionality so I don't know what features you'd be looking for, but I use Plex and it has built in DLNA. It does a lot more than that so it may be a bit overboard for your needs.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis