Media player for seagate 8tb hard drive advice needed please.

J

john11

Enthusiast
Hi and thanks for reading. I am looking for a local hard drive player for use in home theatre, something that can support an internal 8 tb hard drive via sata port connection.

There are plenty of streamers and hard drive players but most do not support internal drives. They have hard drive support via external usb. Don't want to use usb as it degrades the audio and video.
I plugged an external hard drive into my pc via usb 3 port and used it to watch a movie, then i took the hard drive out of its external enclosure and plugged it straight into the motherboard's sata port, immediatly noticed an increase in picture and sound quality. Think it is something to do with the hard drive sata interface interfering with and processing the sata signals from the hard drive into i2s, then into something else, then the pc's usb processing the i2s into something else. Sorry not a techie, it was all way above me. My feeling is the direct into motherboard solution avoids some of this processing
I am leaning towards a streamer or hard drive player which accepts internal 8 tb hard drive, a high-end quality model with strong processor plenty of ram and features. Any advice please.

Many thanks.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
...Don't want to use usb as it degrades the audio and video....
No.

No it does not.

I'm not sure what shenanigans you think you saw, or maybe you actually had, but a fast USB interface will have no issue with the highest quality video you can possibly throw at it. If you were watching a MOVIE, then it is possible, however unlikely, that your PC has I/O issues and couldn't keep up with the data rates of the content on the drive. This is atypical for a highly compressed movie which is stored on any hard drive. Music will never have such a bottleneck. I have seen some video jumping when my PC has had I/O issues and when I've used underpowered PCs for video playback. I have no such issues with my more recent generation computers or laptops.

I am leaning towards a streamer or hard drive player which accepts internal 8 tb hard drive, a high-end quality model with strong processor plenty of ram and features. Any advice please.
The ONLY media players I was ever really aware of which had a integrated hard drive bay came from Dune HD. So, something like this...

Calling it 'high end' is a bit of an overstatement. You can get much better quality these days from a micro-form-factor computer running Kodi or Plex.

I would go so far to say that Plex is one of the best possible ways to move video around your home (and the world) from a hard drive, depending on what file formats you are using and how it is stored on the hard drive.

If I really just wanted solid playback from a hard drive and wanted it internal, I would just get a home theater PC and call it done.
In reality, I would get a nVidia Shield and plug it in USB and see that the right player has no USB issues.

It's zeroes and ones. USB doesn't care. SATA doesn't care. Neither does your computer. What you said is factually impossible. Impossible. Period. Which isn't to say you don't have other PC issues which are causing some hiccups.

Wiliarsham

Wiliarsham

Audiophyte
Hello. I think you should go to a specialized computer hardware store and find out about it. If they do not have such equipment, then perhaps computer repair services will help you. But I do not recommend buying such used equipment. A year ago, I decided to save on a backup hard drive and bought it on eBay. As a result, it was damaged and quickly failed. I had to contact the hard drive recovery service to recover the data I managed to save on this hard drive.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis