Measuring Speaker Distance From Listening Position

R

REUBEN GABRIEL

Enthusiast
Hi,

Just curious on the appropriate way to do this using a tape measure.

Do I measure from front baffle of speakers to ear level?

Or should I lay the tape measure parallel on the ground and measure from front of speaker to seated position?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

thank you

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Correct, baffle to ear. But if you're doing it by yourself, the floor is fine too.

Measure from the baffle to your seat, add a bit to account for where your head would be.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Subs wouldn't necessarily be set on the actual distance (which is really just another way of saying delay) due the processing time in the sub itself....if your avr has an auto setup routine using a measurement mic you might simply use that instead.

R

REUBEN GABRIEL

Enthusiast
Subs wouldn't necessarily be set on the actual distance (which is really just another way of saying delay) due the processing time in the sub itself....if your avr has an auto setup routine using a measurement mic you might simply use that instead.
thank you. no subs in this room. it's just a basic 3.0 setup as I preferred LCR instead of sound bar. there is only one recliner seat i.e one main listening position.

I did use audyssey but would like to also try manual cal using spl meter out of interest.

regarding placement of spl meter during cal, once I hook it up on a tripod, do i then place the tripod on the seat or do I place the tripod on the floor just behind the recliner?

R

REUBEN GABRIEL

Enthusiast
Correct, baffle to ear. But if you're doing it by yourself, the floor is fine too.

Measure from the baffle to your seat, add a bit to account for where your head would be.
thank you, will do as you have suggested.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
thank you. no subs in this room. it's just a basic 3.0 setup as I preferred LCR instead of sound bar. there is only one recliner seat i.e one main listening position.

I did use audyssey but would like to also try manual cal using spl meter out of interest.

regarding placement of spl meter during cal, once I hook it up on a tripod, do i then place the tripod on the seat or do I place the tripod on the floor just behind the recliner?
Mic should go approximately where your ears are.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis