Measuring Sound Level

Calvert

Calvert

Audioholic
My goal is to determine the difference between a DirecTV television show volume and a DirecTV movie when the AVR is at a set volume. A television show in Dolby sound can be satisfactory at a lower volume than a movie in Dolby sound. After determining this data I hope to determine if it is and how much the AVR volume should be increased for a movie to be at the same level as a television show.

My digital sound level meter is a Radio Shack Cat No 33-2065. I need your guidance in setting the meters controls. The RANGE, DH, RESET (when to reset), MIN, MAX, WEIGHTING and RESPONSE. Plus tips on reading the results.

Maybe I'm chasing my tail. I do not know. Btw, I wear hearing aids. I do understand there is a great difference in how audio is mixed for tv and a movie.

Thanks in advance. I'm a big boy, actually old fart, so I can handle criticism.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
My goal is to determine the difference between a DirecTV television show volume and a DirecTV movie when the AVR is at a set volume. A television show in Dolby sound can be satisfactory at a lower volume than a movie in Dolby sound. After determining this data I hope to determine if it is and how much the AVR volume should be increased for a movie to be at the same level as a television show.

My digital sound level meter is a Radio Shack Cat No 33-2065. I need your guidance in setting the meters controls. The RANGE, DH, RESET (when to reset), MIN, MAX, WEIGHTING and RESPONSE. Plus tips on reading the results.

Maybe I'm chasing my tail. I do not know. Btw, I wear hearing aids. I do understand there is a great difference in how audio is mixed for tv and a movie.

Thanks in advance. I'm a big boy, actually old fart, so I can handle criticism.
Here goes on the criticism! This is a pointless endeavor. Just set the volume to where you like each program and source.

The main reason this is nonsense though is because you are confusing apparent loudness and audio compression.

A program compressed will appear louder as it does have a higher average level, than a less or uncompressed program. This will have a lower average level and seem not as loud, although the peaks may well be as loud or louder. You always in post production have to set the average level to the peaks so that do not cause overload and clipping.

TV programs invariably use more compression than movies.

You will get no help from your meter as it does not have a long enough sustain. Just listening is all that is required for this problem.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Just curious and not meant as criticism... why is this important to you? I would think that your mood would dictate more than anything what volume you want to listen at regardless if it were a movie or a tv show.

Calvert

Calvert

Audioholic
You both are correct. Such comparison is pointless. Not my brightess idea. Thanks.

CASE CLOSED

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis