Measuring Pandora Radio

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
If you haven't heard of Pandora, you should. Pandora is a customizable radio service that is mostly free with commercials or $36 a year for commercial free plus additional features. Have you ever wondered which is better - voting up or down a song? Tom did and he designed an experiment to test it. The next step is up to you.

Discuss "Measuring Pandora Radio" here. Read the article.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for doing this... I like Pandora, but I just recently started using Slacker radio as well, and the verdict is still out on which I like better.

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
I'm not all that persnickity about my Pandora.
I will say this- I think it is a fantastic product.
I have streaming capabilities on my Samsung BD2550- Netflix and Pandora.
The SQ on Pandora is just fine for background listening, which is what I use it for.
Two Trees Up for Pandora!
Now, as to the PQ on my Netflix..............:(

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Audioholic Field Marshall
Interesting. I've only used Pandora from my IPhone (they have a free "app") for generic background music, but for what it is, it mostly gets its tune selection right and the fact that I can plug my phone into something and have an endless music source is great. I am surprised sometimes, however, when I "create" a channel and the performer that I name it for is NOT in the first tune.

The sound isn't great, but I'm not expecting audiophile, just music from a period without interruption, which it does well.

T2T

T2T

Senior Audioholic
I stream Pandora through my Squeezebox devices. Though I've never "fine tuned" my music to the level that this discussion provoked, it does seem like a great investment of time to "build" a station that's somewhat customized to you.

In regards to the quality of Pandora, I think the sound quality I get is a notch or two better than the sound quality I was getting during my trial of Sirius radio. Mainly though, Pandora has opened up my vision to a lot of artists out there that I never would have listened to before I heard them on Pandora. From there, I can go out an buy CDs or listen to further samples from the album to see if I want to buy the whole thing.

I don't use Pandora for critical listening. 60% of the time, I use it each evening as I'm winding down to fall asleep, or if I'm taking an afternoon nap. The other 40% of the time, I'll put it on for some ambient music if we have guests over or if I'm doing work around our house.

S

StphNieuw

Enthusiast
I play it at home via my blueray player, at work via my computer and on my blackberry when I travel. Overall it sounds great, as another person had mentioned, its not audiophile grade but a lot better than my satellite radio or similar online channels. I purchased the $36 year subscription and absolutely love it. The subscription also allows 192k streaming so it certainly is comparable if not better than the average mp3. Overall I'm super happy. Just my 2 cents.

-Stephan

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I've found Pandora to offer the highest sound quality out of any streaming service I tested. I use it daily on my computer system and my family room system. It's as close to CD quality as you are going to find IMO.

bigbassdave

bigbassdave

Full Audioholic
I also purchased the "Pandora One" service that lets you stream at a higher bit rate. Sounds great to me for what it is. For only $36 a year I think its a pretty good deal.

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
I've been paying for pandora one happily for a couple years. Absolutely worth the cash. I listed daily in the office and on the weekends at night on the patio. I go way over the 40 hours per month. Honestly, I'd pay more than they charge. It's that good.

Pat

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
Thanks for doing this... I like Pandora, but I just recently started using Slacker radio as well, and the verdict is still out on which I like better.
I like slacker too, but absolutely hate the stupid obnoxiously loud commercials. Can't stand it so I don't listen much.

Pat

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I've found Pandora to offer the highest sound quality out of any streaming service I tested. I use it daily on my computer system and my family room system. It's as close to CD quality as you are going to find IMO.
Really? I thought the free Pandora service only had 128kbps mono transcoding. IMO Slacker had better quality for the short time that I tried it. I use Last.FM every now and then but I usually just stream from my server at home, that way I can pick whatever I want and determine the quality that I want (I listen at 320kbps as my music gets transcoded in real time).

P

palmharbor

Junior Audioholic
i tunes radio is free

If you go to itunes radio...the music is catagorized by type of music
and there are at least 150 stations from around the world. I use "wiretap pro" and record what I like and it is saved into iTunes. Its simple, free
and you can find the music you like....did I say it was free???

B

bac522

Audiophyte
I'm cheap too, but for a measly $36 bucks a year for zero commercials, unlimited monthly play, and 192kbps bit rate is was worth it! After upgrading to the paid service I found myself asking "why did I wait so long?!?!?"

This is definitely the way to go! Why anyone would buy a song now a days is beyond me...well unless you need to listen to that same song over and over and over constantly! Pandora does a good job of playing your favorite songs, but like a radio station you never know when it's going to play, but it's playing so many of my favorite songs/artist it's even better!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis