C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
Do you guys have any opinions regarding McIntosh Audio's products? What have you guys listened to from them, etc.

Just kind of curious.

-Chad

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
.....my experience with two different McIntosh slave amps tells me I will never power a sub with one....mains, mids, and rears are a different story, but for the money laid out, there are better choices to be had for cleanness AND fullness and presence on the low end....one of the slave amps I used was a MC 2105, and that one would make a pretty good boat anchor with it's tinny distortion, but the MC 2200 is considered to be pretty good....what the 2200 did with subs was pathetic....both are for sale cheap, by the way.......

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
Love em

All of the members of my family own McIntosh products. They aren't the best as far as HiFi goes, there are a ton of super-high end pieces out there, but when it comes to a well built, really good sounding piece of gear, you cant go wrong. Plus I think they look really great.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
mulester7 said:
.....my experience with two different McIntosh slave amps tells me I will never power a sub with one....mains, mids, and rears are a different story, but for the money laid out, there are better choices to be had for cleanness AND fullness and presence on the low end....one of the slave amps I used was a MC 2105, and that one would make a pretty good boat anchor with it's tinny distortion, but the MC 2200 is considered to be pretty good....what the 2200 did with subs was pathetic....both are for sale cheap, by the way.......

How much? I'll buy them

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
.....Mac, how appropriate on the handle considering your preferences....I have entertained thoughts of enriching my son-in-law's system with the 2200....he only has two mains and no surrounds....when my Placette pre comes in, I could also give him my C-26 Mac pre.....his JVC 7.1 receiver could then become a food bowl for his hunting beagles with the top sawed off and the stereo contents removed, (chortle, chortle)....the Mac amps are HEAVY, and attempting to pack either would be a chore I'm not sure I'm up to, as it would surely bring on 2x4 framework....and....there is sentimentality attached to both amps, and I may have spoken too soon....if I did sell one or the other, I would want someone to be within driving distance to be honest...sorry if I did speak too soon....McIntosh is good stuff, but others have met the challenge and risen for sure....just like the game of pro golf was raised a level by Tiger Woods....other pro golfers suddenly had to burn the midnight oil on the driving/practice ranges.....you know what I mean....

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Mule,

Someone asked me if your screen name had anything to do with child or female molestation and what the 7 signified. Kind of scary, don't ya think? Please put this to rest for the feable.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
......Buck, I have been trying to respond for almost an hour, or it seems like that....something is not hooking up right with my computer to the one upstairs by wireless and the other one is the prime unit to the server....the one upstairs does not belong to me, and I would rather not use it....so, I could be depraved or sick, huh?....Buck, I've never had thoughts about quarterbacks past their passing stats....precious little children will enter adulthood carrying no baggage put on them by me, I assure you....I haven't gotten closer than about four feet to a woman in about three years....situation covered........when I was laid off from the mechanical dept at the NLR-UP shop, I took a job in maintenance-of-way, track work, because the wife and kids had the bad habit of wanting to eat when I did....the comrodery (sp-?) ability to get alond with each other out there was high because it was an attitude of all being in Hell together with the work being hard as the smallest tool out there weighed ten pounds or so up to about 100....was good for a college graduate, haha....you bet, my first day at Rock Island in Little Rock I knew I was home....my Daddy told me one time I would probably be better off punching a clock and it stuck, I guess....anyhow, one day I showed a picture I took of my wife who honestly looked like a young, much cuter, Sophia Loren....truth....one guy said, and here's where a nickname got placed on me, "Smith, to have a wife like that you must be hung like a mule"....it appeared surely UP/Omaha had the nickname on file that afternoon....the same friend came over to help me get online when I got my first puter in 2000....he advised hotmail since that was what he had and was used to it, and could show me quickly how to master it....guys, here's my main motto in life...."ask not, get not, assign honor to the request"....someone can tell you how to do something in five minutes what would take you three days to dig out....anyhow, mule was stretched out to one who works with mules....mulester....hold on, it just came to why I started posting here, hahahahaha.....just kidding....I love it here....I have to watch talking too much....I forget to remember that at times, still, though....no proofread, afraid I'll lose it with computer acting up....yeah, I can type decently fast....it don't seem that long to me....IM'ing with online friends builds or recalls typing skills like no other....oh well, from my head to yours......

C

cornelius

Full Audioholic
I like Mac gear. It's maybe not as "hi-fi" as some other, more hi-rez gear, but they do quite well. I remember first hearing solid stade Mac amps at the Hit Factory in NYC, driving a huge pair of Urie Monitors. I never thought I'd see McIntosh in a recording studio, but those amps chugged along day in day out, and sounded very, very good (they slapped the NS-10s all around the room).

A couple of years ago, I swapped out my Arcam Alpha 8 Integrated/8P Power amp - Bi-amp combo for a McIntosh MA 6200 Integrated. I asked the dealer if the Mac will sound better than the Arcam gear (which was very good - especially the Bi-amp setup). He said yes. The sound improvements were pretty stunning. The soundstage really opened up - like pressing a 3-D button. The sound felt effortless, there was better quality bass (and more of it) and the noise floor just dropped - the black background that so many reviewers refer to. The model I have was made in 1991, the last year it was made (it ran from 1978-1991). Julian Hirsch described it as "having no sound of it's own" so it is not a heavily colored piece of gear.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
If i had the scratch I'd buy an amp or integrated in a heartbeat. Love those blue meters! :p

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis