McIntosh MP100 phono preamp vs Parasound JC3 Jr.

Revelation

Revelation

Junior Audioholic
I currently have a NAD 658 pre into a McIntosh MC152 amp. I found every time I switch from CD or streaming to phono, that the volume is much lower with my MM Cartridge. I am considering purchasing either the Parasound JC3 jr or the McIntosh MP100 phono preamp. I talked to one on line store that carry's both and was told the Parasound is cleaner and more open. That the McIntosh has some color. So unless you want the McIntosh color, he recommended the JC3 Jr. as the better preamp. I admire John Curl designs and thought about going in that direction.

However, McIntosh has a reputation of their gear being very quiet. I looked at the specs and its Total Harmonic Distortion is 0.005%. That's pretty darn good. In looking at the Parasound spec, the Total Harmonic Distortion is 0.02%. So clearly, the McIntosh is quieter preamp which is one very important feature. I also like that the MP100 is smaller and I could fit it in my stereo rack a little easier. The MP100 has a 40 db set gain. I like the Parasound has an option of 40, 50, or 60. However on the back of the unit it says MM "Typical 40 db". So I am thinking the set volume on the MP100 should be fine.

Has anyone compared the two units? Though the MP100 is quieter, is there more color than the Parasound. As I have a Grado which has some character, I would prefer a cleaner phono preamp.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You're worrying about low levels of thd with vinyl that exceeds that to begin with? Some pre-amps can adjust volume for specific inputs to make them more in line with other gear. Some phono pre-amps have adjustable gain to help out. I wouldn't put much money into a phono pre in any case. Just turn the volume up for vinyl would be easiest.

Revelation

Revelation

Junior Audioholic
You make sense on one level, but then you read these reviews of high end phono amps where they say how much better the presentation is vs lower end phono preamps. It has me curious

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You make sense on one level, but then you read these reviews of high end phono amps where they say how much better the presentation is vs lower end phono preamps. It has me curious
Most subjective reviews are full of crap, tho. You want some objective reviews of performance, check out those done at audiosciencereview.com would be my suggestion. Adjustability of load and level can be an advantage for an external stage, but if you're just using MM I wouldn't overthink it.

O

OHMisback

Audioholic
When I look at phono preamps, I look for the features I like. There is more than one in my case. Mcintosh is a favorite of mine for a lot of things BUT
their phono section on a scale of 1 - 10 are a sold 6. I've had everyone they ever produced including the EARLY mono series C4 or C8 of the 60s

40db of gain is a little low to tell the truth. I haven't heard "THE" Parasound phono stage you are speaking of. I've used their OB for testing. meh
Decware is a great MM or MI unit, and quiet is an understatement.
People complain about tube equipment. THIS is a work of art in it's simplicity and digs everything out of vinyl or magnetic tape.
There is seldom a used one on the market for a reason. To be able to use direct head playback on a good RtR as an option doubles it's value.
The problem is the 4-6 month wait time for the lifetime warrantee on the hand made units. I have two, they are wonderful after a couple changes.

Herron VTPH-2 is the cream of the crop no matter what you're using up to 10K. It betters many above that number too. IF you can find one, buy it.
If they want 3500.00 you pay it and be darn happy you found it. They are truly the Diamond standard for the money.

I've heard 60K carts with 60k preamps and 500k TT in 2 million dollar rooms. I was about 10K impressed, sippin' my sarsaparilla drink.

I liked my Herron and a cart from Soundsmith that cost 2K (I think) more than thinking about a 60K anything. 60K house maybe.

The match of the cart to the arm to the preamp to the TT to the cables to the main preamp to the power amps to the transducers in the speakers is the
WHOLE magic thing with vinyl. It's not one piece. That Herron is the GLUE that brings wonderful things together. I'll never sell the ONE. They been getting
lost in the mail a LOT. I've heard. I'll fix my own thank you. I have ONE more coming from Australia.
Fingers crossed, 330vac 50hz unit. I don't buy from Australia either. There is a guy in Perth, I hope a monsoon hits only his house, ba$tard. I'm stickin'
pins an a Voodoo doll right now. :)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
However, McIntosh has a reputation of their gear being very quiet. I looked at the specs and its Total Harmonic Distortion is 0.005%. That's pretty darn good. In looking at the Parasound spec, the Total Harmonic Distortion is 0.02%. So clearly, the McIntosh is quieter preamp which is one very important feature. I also like that the MP100 is smaller and I could fit it in my stereo rack a little easier. The MP100 has a 40 db set gain. I like the Parasound has an option of 40, 50, or 60. However on the back of the unit it says MM "Typical 40 db". So I am thinking the set volume on the MP100 should be fine.

Has anyone compared the two units? Though the MP100 is quieter, is there more color than the Parasound. As I have a Grado which has some character, I would prefer a cleaner phono preamp.
Your conclusion on the MP100 being quieter may not be correct based on the published specs.

Take a look:

As you cited, MP100's THD is 0.005%, in the manual it says:
Total Harmonic Distortion
0.005% maximum from 20Hz to 20,000Hz

For the JC3 Jr, it is:
Total Harmonic Distortion < 0.02% at 1kHz

Neither one tell you whether the THD figures are measured at the worse point on the THD Vs output curve. My educated guess though is that the MP100's has much lower THD so in that sense the MP100 should be "cleaner" assuming clean means more transparent.

No on the noise side:

MP100:
Signal To Noise Ratio (CEA490)
MM - 80dB
Voltage Gain
MM - 40dB

JC3 Jr:
Signal to Noise Ratio, 40 dB Setting >85dB, input shorted, IHF A-weighted >80dB, input shorted, unweighted

So the JC3 Jr should be the quieter one.

You can have an amp that has high distortion but very quiet or one that has extremely low distortion but very noisy, so be sure to look at the right specs, and measurements if available.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis