Votes: 9 56.3%
  • YPAO rulez

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters
sudyke

sudyke

Audioholic Intern
Dear Sir.All! :rolleyes:

Which one do you think is better? I was looking at yammies and many people said (wrote) that they are really good in sound, but the mags put the Pios before them! Is the YPAO or the MCACC better? I may be changing my reciever (VSX-814, I bought it 1 week ago :) ) to a yammie, and this is an important question for me because I'm really a newbie in this stuff! I will consider yammies in the same price range!

Thanx for the help, advice, and opinions!
sudyke

BJP

BJP

Audioholic
I don't know much about Pioneer, they don't seem to be very popular. I have a Yamaha HTR-5760 and the YPAO works very well, although the crossover is set high. Yamaha sounds natural and smooth. It was a great buy.

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
I wouldnt let either one make or break my buy.

sudyke

sudyke

Audioholic Intern
How much is an HTR-5760? The 550 is around my budget, but that still doesn't have YPAO! I hear that most people who has/had Pio swears its really good, but those who have only listend to it in some shop say that its not good... IMO. I'm trying to find out the truth... :)

sudyke

sudyke

Audioholic Intern
Shokhead:

Why do you say that? Maybe you are better at speaker setup than me, and have more experience, but I'm just a newbie, and these functions make it easyer for me to get started!

BJP

BJP

Audioholic
sudyke said:
How much is an HTR-5760? The 550 is around my budget, but that still doesn't have YPAO! I hear that most people who has/had Pio swears its really good, but those who have only listend to it in some shop say that its not good... IMO. I'm trying to find out the truth... :)
Mine was $649 CAD, 106,765.57HUF
The HTR-5860 is the replacement for the 5760. I haven't seen the specs on it though.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
All shokhead means is that automatic setup isn't an important feature for him. If you think that YPAO stole from Pioneer
Does that yammie have YPAO (MCACC copied from pio)?
then I think Pioneer owes Harman an apology. ;) Maybe Harman owes one to someone else, I don't know. Also denon has an auto setup, so does Marantz on their new stuff. Outlaw is using some too. I can't say whose is better, maybe that could be a new article one day when Gene or Clint get around to it. Write that one down guys, add it to the bottom of the 20' stack of the to get to's.

I would love to have automatic calibration as a feature, but it wouldn't be a deciding factor for me either. I would still have to break out my meter and toy with settings till I got everything where I wanted them, and I would go with my own settings over the auto ones. It may just be me but I think tweaking is fun.

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
Not sure the Pioneer model you have has a auto calibration feature but if it does, I would not worry about changing receivers based on minor differences is auto calibrations specs and performance. Seems like a waste of time.

Now, if your receiver has no auto calibration feature and you don't want to do it manually, then it might be a good idea to get a receiver with this feature. It does make a pretty big impovement in sound. As far as which auto calibration is better between brands, I don't think you should worry so much about that. Just get a received with the features you want.

Shinerman

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
Not sure you can have a poll that's meaninful on this. Seems to me Yammy owners (and there's a ton on this site) will stuff the ballot. ;)

THe only legit votes should be from people with actual experience with both.

I too have read reviews that said MCACC is very good. I don't think it compared it to YPAO though, but to the auto-cals of some other competitors.

sudyke

sudyke

Audioholic Intern
I don't KNOW who stole from who, I just read somewhere that Pio started the whole stuff. Actually this doesn't really matter!

Shinerman: It does! I'm just waiting to have the 5.1 speaker system so I can actually use it! :)

Takeereasy: I know! I just said that it is for me, because I don't have experience in setting up!

BJP: I only have 400-420USD for recievers, which is around 80,000HUF, and the prices are literaly doubled here! It sux!!! It would be cheaper I guess to order from the States, but the problem is that you use 110V, whereas we use 220-240! :(

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
sudyke said:
I don't KNOW who stole from who, I just read somewhere that Pio started the whole stuff. Actually this doesn't really matter!

Shinerman: It does! I'm just waiting to have the 5.1 speaker system so I can actually use it! :)

Takeereasy: I know! I just said that it is for me, because I don't have experience in setting up!

BJP: I only have 400-420USD for recievers, which is around 80,000HUF, and the prices are literaly doubled here! It sux!!! It would be cheaper I guess to order from the States, but the problem is that you use 110V, whereas we use 220-240! :(
You just sit in your chair with a 40 dollar SPL Meter from RS and setup each speaker to 75-80,more or less.

sudyke

sudyke

Audioholic Intern
Maybe... but here that would be 80$USD but that doesn't really matter!
Are your SVS good?

Can someone list more types of autosetup names other than the ones listed above?
I could expand the poll then!

S

sounduser

Audiophyte
BJP said:
The HTR-5860 is the replacement for the 5760. I haven't seen the specs on it though.
I bought my HTR-5860 for $330.

S

sounduser

Audiophyte
I bought my HTR-5860 for $330 but...

BJP said:
Hello BJP:
I would like to ask you do me a favour since you have a Yamaha HTR-5760. Please redo your YPAO AUTO setup, and pay attention to listen to the test tones during EQUALIZING step & let me know if you can hear any test tones (and from which speaker if not from all). I bought a new HTR-5860 but I found there is no audible test tone when it is doing the auto setup EQUALIZING step. During all other auto setep steps, such as WIRING, SIZE/DISTENCE, I can hear test tones. only equalizing step no test tones.
YAMAHA Owner's Manual page 24 (Auto Setup section) boasts that the "EQUALIZING step: adjusts frequency and levels of each channel's parametric equalizer to reduce coloration across the channels and create a cohesive sound field. This is particularly important if you use different brands or sizes of speakers... or have a room with unique sonic characteristics." YPAO can "equalizing calibration incorporates three parameters... for each of the seven bands in its paraetric equalizer to provide highly precise automatic adjustment of frequency characteristics"
I do not think (and understand how) the equalizer can adjust all these without producing audible test tones. So I would like to verify if it is normal for all other receivers or I just got a receiver with defect.

Please help me to make sure before I send this receiver to Yamaha service center to repair.
Thanks,
Sounduser

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis