MB QUART VS05BE bookshelf speakers - My take and Impressions

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
​Since several people are interested and some are waiting for my take - well, this is
my subjective layman insight. Also, somebody dropped by and began to ask some
questions.:confused: Well, I gave a demo any way.:)

(1) Are they for real?
Yes they are, MB Quart can make some nice home speakers, even Audioholics did a
review on the Alexxa (mid-level) line. The Vera is their former flagship line. They
even build their own drivers.

(2) Is the company MB Quart (Maxxsonics) easy to order from?
Yes, they are - and they even have PayPal. They ship same day. Customer service
even called to make sure that I understood about the color I was getting. They do
use UPS for shipping.
Home Audio, Vera, Bookshelf*| MB Quart

(3) Do they have good packaging?
Yes, they came double boxed - if you buy them, be ready to spend a little time un-
boxing them. The outer box is taped real well - and the origional box has the heavy
staples. The speaker and grills are packed separate in the same box - and the grill
is placed in its own carton

(4) How do they look, and the size, plus the weight?
They look first rate and high-end > the elsberry looks much better in person. The photo
does not do real justice. Elsberry to me looks like a color between light and dark cherry.
The bookshelves are about 15" H x 9" W x 11-1/2 D and weigh about 26 lbs. So. for me
they do not qualify as a white van speaker.:)

A picture from forum member rojo - and that is real metal
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/general-av-discussions/86935-what-new-stuff-have-you-bought-if-you-care-share-thead-64.html#post1021632

(5) Are they really built well?
Well yes, the cabinets are 1 inch thick on all sides - the diameter on the poly caps of the
crossover, is about the size of a quarter, they use what looks to be big (long) metal oxide
resistors. The crossover looks to be 2nd order, with 2 coils, 2 big poly caps and 4 resistors.
The cabinet is lined with foam, and also stuffed with gray fiber-glass like material. I could
only look from the back-side in - the woofer looks different from any woofer that I have seen
and is heavy duty. It does not seem to have the typical magnet, spider or vented pole piece.

I do not like the strange connection terminal, you have to use a hex wrench - which they do
supply to un-screw the terminal to put your wire in. I can fit the banana plugs in and screw
them down tight - you just need wire that is flexable.

(6) Why such a cheap price?
Good question, I do not know. They did have poor marketing in the USA, and the origional
prices do seem a little steep. They seem to want to clear the inventory and may have some
type of tax write off. However, this is a good deal for the consumer.

(7) Why is the shipping expensive?
Good question - however based on the build and sound quality - still a solid deal.

(8) Do they sound like $500 speakers?
No, they do not.

(9) Do they sound like $1000 speakers?
No, they do not.

(10) Do they sound like $1500 speakers?
For me they tend to have a sound resolution with-in a $1500 to $1800 range.

(11) How do they sound?
Different for sure, I have not heard a sound quite like this - and they do not favor any speaker
that I know of.

(12) So, they do not sound like garbage?
No, they are not white van?:)

(13) Well the word is that the Alexxa can sound sort of bright - so, what about the Vera?
They do not sound bright to me. There does not seem to be any lift in the treble up to the
15 khz range. There may be something after 15 khz - however, my ears can not hear past
that. Past measurements of the Vera bigger bookshelf, shows no real boost before 15 khz.
Their titanium dome tweeter, is not a slap in your face and ears tweeter.

(14) Do they have nice bass?
Yes however, there is no Dr. Mushy Boom medicine inside and also no Dr Thumper. The bass
is tight and controlled and articulate - and no bass bump for an illusion. My test sweeps shows
usable bass down to 42 hz. One thing to note - the bass balances with the midrange and highs,
so it will not be as punchy or generous as some other speakers. The speaker is subwoofer friendly.

(15) Do they have a mellow or lush midrange?
Mercy no, what is a lush midrange anyway? A good speaker does not have a so-called personality.
However, some people do look and think of their speakers as an idol!:) If you are looking for a
mellow-yellow sound or polite laid back sound - then move on. Maybe call Dr White Van and get
one of his speakers with no real detail, definition or depth. However, I do understand that they will
have some low resolution speakers.

With the Vera bookshelf, they do tend to sound realistic and life-like. The resolution is really nice.
Their is no Mr. Dark Shadow to help cover and hide poor, and nasty/ugly recordings. Some singers
with a somewhat natural and raspy voice, will come across that way. Poor sources with distortion
will be exposed. >> Old recordings with a boosted treble, and new compressed and loudness war
recordings will be brought to light.

(16) Do they have good imaging with realistic soundstage presentation?
Yes, they do. However, it will not really be like you are on a Star Trek holo-deck. However, their
imaging and soundstage presentation is really nice - it is forward, wide and deep > and no treble
rise to help with the off-axis response, as far as I can tell. They also do really well with a precise
central image - which is nice/good.

(17) OK, how do they sound now?
What are you getting tired? That is a strange question. However, I will answer this way. I was a
little thrown off when I first heard them. They do sound different from any thing that I have heard.
I have owned many, that is many speakers - and these are really transparent and resolve low and
high level detail real well. I am picking up good layers, texture and depth to voices and instruments.
The speaker is cohesive and holds together, from low to mid and high volumes.

What threw me off in the beginning is they are so transparent, so the poor and ugly sources can and
do come to light and can tend to be offensive sounding. It has taken me a couple of days to get use
to this, and get more adjusted - I needed to be broken in some. > However, the bass is starting to
sound a little better after a couple of days. However, keep that to yourself.:D

One thing to note - the speakers do a good job with drums, cymbals, guitar sounds really good. The
piano really tends to stand out, as well as trumpet and other instruments. If you like to hear some
of the instruments vibrate - then this is it.

***Now I will give you one last question

(18) Should people really listen to you?
Man, that is a strong question;) No not really, my ears may be filled with wax - and I am not young
anymore. Remember, audio is subjective and I can not promise or guarantee anything - however for
me, these are some nice speakers and should be considered. Need to note, they are on move-out and
close-out pricing > so no real 30 trial, you can only return if not opened or a defect with-in 30 days.
The warranty is only 30 days. However, need to remember - that speakers tend to hold up well and for
a long time - also a lot of people do buy used and from Ebay and Audiogon with no warranty. And some
buy form Audioholics and AVS classifieds. So, this is still really a good deal and they are new.

Now I am getting tired.

(19) Wait, wait, I have one more question. How are they with home theater?
OK, you got me - Well they are dynamic and really good and can play Loud (they can take it).
Good with all movie sources and not offensive. Play Man of Steel and Star Trek Into Darkness,
that can ring your bell. They are not only dynamic - they also have good movie midrange sound.

(XX) Now I ask the stranger a question: What do you think?
And the stranger answers:
You are wasting your money, and spending too much! You do not need all that wood and metal,
and you do not need thick boxes and a lot of crossover parts. Why spend money on wood veneer
and double boxes and even pay extra shipping?

"I know a company that will deliver for free, and we have expensive speakers with some wood and
no need for bracing or fancy crossovers. The quality is in the drivers, not crossovers or fancy wood.
They are good drivers and do not need large magnets. This company gives good discounts on their
speakers that would sell for $3000. I even have a pair that I will sell you for for $200!"

Now I under stand who you are:) You are from the famous White Van company, checking on the
competition. It is strange because you drove up in a blue van. >> The only reason I let you in is
because you looked hungry and I wanted to show off some good speakers.

Gee, you almost tricked me.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks for this. It's great to see the opinion of someone who has auditioned lots of different speakers hold these in as high regard as I.

I have a question to add. Now that these have passed your audition, do you plan to order the matching center or sub?

For me, these will be an heirloom. Unless I win the lottery, I daresay I'll probably be using these as my mains for life. If the center is still available by the time I've got another 500 bucks to play with, I'll probably jump on it.

​(6) Why such a cheap price?
Good question, I do not know. They did have poor marketing in the USA, and the origional
prices do seem a little steep. They seem to want to clear the inventory and may have some
type of tax write off. However, this is a good deal for the consumer.
I've read that the MB Quart who designed and built this line of home audio speakers 9 or 10 years ago is not the same MB Quart today. In 2005, the MB Quart brand was acquired by Maxxsonics on a fire sale. As I understand it, new MB Quart branded speakers are now made in China. This Vera line is old stock from the time of the bankruptcy / acquisition. But it's only been on closeout pricing since the beginning of February. Given that:

• Vera and Alexxa are the only home audio lines on the MB Quart website
  • both lines seem incomplete (the Alexxa offers no center channel; the Vera VS1B and VS1F seem to be no more either)
  • there appear to be no future models announced
  • the horizontal nav menu at the top of their web pages contain no links to their home audio

I get the impression that Maxxsonics isn't going to be continuing home audio under the MB Quart brand any more.

As a side note, in 2007 when Maxxsonics moved MB Quart production from Germany to China, the former MB Quart engineers in Germany formed a new company, German Maestro. (Why they didn't call it Deutschland Lehrer, I'll never understand. Maybe they thought English and Italian sounded exotic?) Anyway, if you check out the German Maestro website, you can see a lot of the same styling there as was employed with these MB Quart Veras.

Last edited:
Lulimet

Lulimet

Full Audioholic
Great review. I bought a pair and agree with pretty much everything you wrote.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for this. It's great to see the opinion of someone who has auditioned lots of different speakers hold these in as high regard as I.

I have a question to add. Now that these have passed your audition, do you plan to order the matching center or sub?

If the center is still available by the time I've got another 500 bucks to play with, I'll probably jump on it.

I get the impression that Maxxsonics isn't going to be continuing home audio under the MB Quart brand any more.

As a side note, in 2007 when Maxxsonics moved MB Quart production from Germany to China, the former MB Quart engineers in Germany formed a new company, German Maestro. (Why they didn't call it Deutschland Lehrer, I'll never understand. Maybe they thought English and Italian sounded exotic?) Anyway, if you check out the German Maestro website, you can see a lot of the same styling there as was employed with these MB Quart Veras.
Their center channel looks good - and it measures better than a lot of MTM horizontal centers - I am thinking
about it - however, if one has vertical space - the bookshelves are about the same price, the better deal is
to buy them and use one as a center. You have a spare/back-up, if you might have any future problems. Plus,
the vertical bookshelf will blend, balance and pan better.

Maxxsonics looks like they are dropping Home Theater (good engineers tend to hop, skip and jump like disc jockeys)
and are getting into the bluetooth game - that seems to be where the world of ears are heading. > Their bluetooth
stuff looks interesting.

The German Maestro speakers on the website, look to favor the mid-line Alexxa series, with some hint of the Vera.

People who are on a tight budget and want good realistic sound - need to look at the Vera system - also that subwoofer
looks real nice > it may not lift your house off its foundation >> however, it looks to be strong and the word for it on
music is real good.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Cleaning ladies knocked one of my speakers over this morning.

I called the fulfillment center to ask if they had any replacement grilles. They don't. They said they might be able to sell me an individual speaker, though.

They said they've had 9 orders so far this morning, and only have 7 left in elsberry. I'm not sure whether that meant they have 7 pairs, or 7 speakers. But I went ahead and put another pair on my credit card before they sold out. I'll see what I can do to repair this grille and maybe sell it + a new one later. Anyone got a source on gray grille cloth?

I wish I could go home and attend to my precious. This is going to be the longest work day.

Incidentally, I asked and Maxxsonics only has 1 elsberry center channel left. I couldn't justify putting that on the credit card too, though.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Cleaning ladies knocked one of my speakers over this morning.

I called the fulfillment center to ask if they had any replacement grilles. They don't. They said they might be able to sell me an individual speaker, though.

They said they've had 9 orders so far this morning, and only have 7 left in elsberry. I'm not sure whether that meant they have 7 pairs, or 7 speakers. But I went ahead and put another pair on my credit card before they sold out. I'll see what I can do to repair this grille and maybe sell it + a new one later. Anyone got a source on gray grille cloth?
Sorry to hear that - hope you can get some better stands in the future.

Interesting - that these speakers are starting to move fast.:)

I will check some cloth sources - also you can look at different cloth shades.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Also, I would like to mention and note:

If you buy the speakers - look at the back where the metal is screwed in - get a hex wrench,
and check to make sure that the hex screws are tight. They were a little loose on mine. I did
not check them at first, and the sound seemed a little vague >> after I tightened the screws,
the sound did improve, and sounded more full and rich.

T

tdogroeder

Audioholic Intern
I enjoyed reading your review about these and certainly have me wanting to get them over the sierra-2's or philmonitors I was considering and would save me some cash especially over the sierra's.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
tdogroeder: If you've got the money, order this morning. They're close to sold out.

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
I enjoyed reading your review about these and certainly have me wanting to get them over the sierra-2's or philmonitors I was considering and would save me some cash especially over the sierra's.
tdogroeder: If you've got the money, order this morning. They're close to sold out.
tdogroeder, since zieg has not heard Sierras or Phils, it would be interesting if you did some real world comparing.

Lulimet

Lulimet

Full Audioholic
Damn, someone lend me $1000 so I can get the center and another pair of the VS05. :D

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I have already answered you in a PM - with 2 of Dennis Murphy mods, I know that he
does good work - your the only one who can make a decision >> I for one, do not get
caught up in a (bias) retail, or ID pro game.:)

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
Did the alarm clock go off this morning?:)
hahaha, I read a lot more vs posting....I just don't see how someone could come to that conclusion, especially when no comparison was made. You have already alluded to that in your post above.

I have already answered you in a PM - with 2 of Dennis Murphy mods, I know that he
does good work - your the only one who can make a decision >> I for one, do not get
zieg...I commend you for trying to be unbiased, but I wish you would try more ID speakers than you actually do. I would love to see you do actual head to head comparisons...retail vs retail, ID vs ID, retail vs ID.

T

tdogroeder

Audioholic Intern
I'm waiting on wife to get a new job first since hers in ending at the end of the month, but the good thing is she is went to an inteview an hour ago for 2nd time with company and things look and sound promising, so if she gets it I will probably order them.

tdogroeder, since zieg has not heard Sierras or Phils, it would be interesting if you did some real world comparing.
I would love to do that, but I didn't plan on doing anything speaker wise until we decided to move and have a house with a 2 living rooms or a 4th bedroom area that I would dedicate for music.

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
I would love to do that, but I didn't plan on doing anything speaker wise until we decided to move and have a house with a 2 living rooms or a 4th bedroom area that I would dedicate for music.
I wish I had that problem. :)

T

tdogroeder

Audioholic Intern
I read that pm, thanks for answering as I wasn't looking for you to tell me I should go for the mb's.

For the price and the great reviews I don't think I would loose out going with them. I hear about not being biased with whatever speakers manufacturer, you seem like you just want the best quality sound for your budget and I am the same way.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
zieg...I commend you for trying to be unbiased, but I wish you would try more ID speakers than you actually do. I would love to see you do head to head comparisons...retail vs retail, ID vs ID, retail vs ID.
Someone just needs to send the speakers to me.:) I will check them out.

I have done a couple of ID brands in the past.

I also filter through some reviews from some respected ears - and I do tend
to pick up some stuff - and I eat the fish and spit out the bones. > Some so
called giant killers out there - tend not to be that big of a giant >> however
there are some nice speakers out there, on both sides of the so-called fence.

If I am really drawn to a speaker (ID or retail) i will go after it. > And, business is
getting tough out there for both sides, and a lot of retail people are not sleeping.

Certain debates will continue till the end of the world - I do not wish to derail this
new thread.:)

Last edited:
C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
Someone just needs to send the speakers to me.:) I will check them out.

I have done a couple of ID brands in the past.

I also filter through some reviews from some respected ears - and I do tend
to pick up some stuff - and I eat the fish and spit out the bones. > Some so
called giant killers out there - tend not to be that big of a giant >> however
there are some nice speakers out there, on both sides of the so-called fence.

If I am really drawn to a speaker (ID or retail) i will go after it. > And, business is
getting tough out there for both sides, and a lot of retail people are not sleeping.

Certain debates will continue till the end of the world - I do not wish to derail this
new thread.:)
You are very vocal on the forums, so no matter what your tastes are, people look to you for information. I know you don't want to tell people what to buy, but for a lot of people, that is what it ends up being.

One last observation/opinion...
At lower level street prices, especially when a retail item's inventory is being sold off, ID vs retail, the performance vs price ratio is closer between the two general business models. As you move up in pricing, more separation occurs.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis