Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I guess I just have a slight fear of the unknown, especially when I'm getting ready to shell out $1900 and I'm not a techi. I am thinking that Both the Denon and SVS speaker set is returnable for 30 days on Amazon if I'm not able to get it working along with all my other plug-in gear, would that be accurate? Maybe a restocking fee and shipping? My biggest fear is that the SVS speakers may not work when I switch from my TV (HDMI 1) to the projector (HDMI 2), but these threads appear to say it will?
Don't be skeered! It's a little intimidating getting started, but there's a wealth of experience here on the forums. We regularly answer the most rudimentary questions and a bunch of us like to help. I love this hobby, but know how things can get confusing fast. There's a lot of conflicting info out there peppered with plenty of nonsense woo-woo, but you won't find much of that here. These guys are objective and scientific in their approach and have helped me realize some big improvements without wasting money on goofy audiophool claims.

Hang around and don't be shy about asking questions, especially BEFORE you make any major purchases and we can help you sort fact from fantasy.

L

Laro

Audioholic Intern
In trying to answer your question . . .we do use the apps on our Samsumg smart TV, that is Netflix, Prime, You Tube, etc. Not sure if it supports eARC, but there is an HDMI cable that goes from the cable box to the TV. When watching these same apps on our projector, I would suppose they come from our Sony Blu-ray player! As I have said before, the TV and the projector are in the same room with the screen coming down from above by remote over and in front of the TV and using the same BOSE 321 speaker system for both TV and projector. We have no other room or speakers for utilizing a zone 2 HDMI from a possible new AV receiver, but if I did get one, I would need 2 HDMI outs for the TV and projector and hoping the same new SVS speakers would work for both! Hope this helps? Thanks!

L

Laro

Audioholic Intern
Trebdp83,

I answered you yesterday, but it seems to have disappeared? I will be using the apps (Netflix, Prime & You Tube) on my smart Samsung TV and also the same apps that are on my Sony Bly-Ray player when watching my projector. I don't believe my TV as eARC? And as I have stated before, my TV and projector are in the same room using the same Bose speakers. The movie screen comes down by remote in front of the TV.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Noticed your posts in other threads. Really like that screen. I think you could do much worse than to go with the Denon S960H and the SVS speakers and I would give it a shot. I liked the suggestion of going to the Ultras for fronts later if you feel the need to upgrade. Since using two HDMI outputs, I'd stay away from ARC as the TV would potentially hijack the works when trying to use the projector and I would connect all of the external devices directly into the Denon. Having a Samsung TV myself, I'd also recommend a separate streamer for the TV and projector. Blu-ray players are poor streamers in general and have limited apps. The TV has more options but aren't the best. While the Apple TV 4K and Nvidia Shield Pro are great streamers with lots of bells and whistles, I would recommend the more straight forward Roku Ultra. This would give you a unified streaming experience with both the TV and projector and also provide better audio and than from the TV and blu-ray player apps. Whatever you decide, enjoy!

L

Laro

Audioholic Intern
All great advice Trebdp83 and I will keep all that in mind. May I ask what your opinion would be regarding this Sony: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1391694-REG/sony_strdh790_str_dh590_5_2_channel_a_v_receiver.html in lieu of the $700 Denon just to save some $$$. I realize it has only 1 HDMI out, so I would have to use a splitter for my TV and projector. I also read that B&H Photo sells used stuff for new . . . can you shed any light on that? I wouldn't be too keen on that! Reason I am wanting to consider this Sony is to save some bucks, the cabinet is smaller and I read that Denons give out too much heat and I would like to keep this in a rather small cabinet space with a rear fan. I think this also has a rear USB, but not sure I could plug a fan into it? Also, would this Sony be powerful enough to drive the SVS 5.1 Prime Theater System??? Thanks!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I wouldn’t recommend that Sony. It’s slim pickins’ out there, but, if you can find them, I’d take a look at the Sony STR-DN1080 or Onkyo TX-NR696 for around $600. Each have two HDMI outputs. If you go the splitter route, I’d see about a Yamaha TSR-700 from Costco for $400. But, again, supplies are extremely limited. I don’t have any information about B&H Photo’s practices. Happy hunting!

L

Laro

Audioholic Intern
Trebdp83 . . . I have looked at your recommendation of the Sony STR-DN1080 and I really like it. It costs a bit more, but has most everything I need, especially a smaller cabinet and the duel HDMI's. Let me ask though will the fact that the Sony is rated at 6 Ohms and the SVS 5.1 Prime Satellite System I intend to purchase with it is rated at 8 Ohms be a problem? Must they have the same? And would you know if this runs hot and is there a USB hub in the rear to power a fan as I don't think I saw one and not even sure it would act as power if there were one! Just hope if I buy it from B&H Photo, which I would like to do, it won't be a used one! I'm a bit afraid of Onkyo what with them being bought out or going out of business??? Thanks again!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I believe the Sony recommends speakers with an ohm rating of 6-16. The lower the number, the more power demanded of the receiver. While 4 ohm speakers may warm it up, I wouldn't worry at all with 8 ohm speakers. I've never heard of anybody complaining about their Sony running hot. But, there aren't too many Sony users around here. The USB port on the STR-DN1080 is located on the front of the unit with a power rating of 1 A. Not sure about your model TV, but it should have a USB port on the back but may not provide power in standby mode when you are using the projector.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis