Matching receiver for Mordaunt-Short Avant Premier Plus System

L

Lak

Enthusiast
I am in the market for a reciever to go with my Mordaunt Short Avant Premier Plus speakers. Any input would be greaty appreciated.

I could go with Denon AVR-3805(street price $1000) as used in the Audioholics review of Morduant-Short speakers, but not sure if I will be overspending given that I spent under $1500 for these speakers. I am also slightly biased towards Sony STR-DA1000ES(street price $400) Receiver (100 W/Channel, 7.1 Channels) as all my other equipments(TV,DVD,VCR) are all Sony. I could get the STR-DA3000ES(street price $650) but not sure if component video upconversion is worth the $250. Please advice.

Another concern is if I'll accidentally damage my speakers (Output Power 15-80W) using powerful amplifiers rated at 100W/channel or more. Am I better off going with Onkyo TX-SR502 Receiver((75 W/Channel) or similar low power reciever to be sure this doesn't happen. Or is there an option in receivers to limit the power supply to speakers?

Another concern is about the impedance. The power level of these recievers are rated at 6 ohms or 8 ohms. And the speakers are rated at 4 ohms. Is there an issue here?

Here is the spec of the speaker and subwoofer.

MS302(sattellite)/MS304(Center) Technical Specifications
----------------------------------------
Frequency Response:-----100Hz-20kHz
Sensitivity:---------------86dB (1 Watt input)
Impedance (nominal):-----4 Ohms
Output Power:------------15-80W
Mains Voltage:------------N/A
Power Consumption:-------N/A
Drivers:-------------------(1) 3.5” mid/bass
--------------------------(1) 1” tweeter
Crossover Type:-----------Second Order

MS909W(Sub woofer) Technical Specifications
-------------------------------------
Frequency response:-----30Hz – 200Hz
Sensitivty:---------------Line in, 70mV (at max output)
-------------------------Hi Level in, 1.3V (at max output)
Output Power:-----------300W
Power Consumption:------450W
Drivers:------------------300mm Long Throw Aluminium CPC Woofer
X/Over Type:------------Active/Variable from 50 – 200 Hz

This will be my first receiver. Please advice.
Thanks
Lak

Unless you play them really loud you shouldn't damage them. Have you considered some of the slightly lower priced receives (Assuming you want to spend a little less money) like the Yamaha RX-V1400 (MSRP $799) or the Denon 2805 (MSRP $899).

Either of those (and there are a slew of other brands as well) would drive the MS speakers pretty well.

I also wouldn't worry about impedance on those speakers with any of the receivers mentioned here.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis