Matching center and sub to existing JBL's (JBL L166 Horizons as mains)

J

jaustin

Audiophyte
I am setting up a home theater system. To start with, I have some JBL L166 Horizons (great-sounding, old, heavy, large 3-ways - from back when they made them right) as my main speakers and will use some newer, smaller circuit city JBL 2-way bookshelf speakers for the rear speakers. Receiver is a Yamaha rx-v650. I would like some recommendations in matching a sub and center to my existing JBL's. I have read a lot in the forums about the importance of trying to match the center channel to the mains. Where I live, I have circuit city, best buy and an independent with high-end stuff. I would like to spend 150-250 on the center and about 200-300 on the sub - on a budget. Any general thoughts on how I should go about the process? Any recommendations? Many thanks.

WorkerBee

WorkerBee

Junior Audioholic
Jaustin,
I agree with everyone that says the center should match as closely as possible (brandwise). You might scour Audiogon for a used perfect matching center for your mains. I understand matching brands of subs to the speakers is not as important but there is a difference between brands of subs, some actually sounding better than others. Due to my budget on this hobby I went with SVS and HSU was my 2nd choice. I have made a couple used purchases on Audiogon with no problems. If finding this older equipment proves to be a problem then just find something that works....it boils down to what sound good to YOU ;)

J

jaustin

Audiophyte
Thanks for the input. Since mains are circa 1976 with replacement OEM woofers, I don't think there will be any center channel match. It looks like I am just going to have to try to find a store with a return policy, etc. ON the sub, what brands is SVS and HSU - as noted, I am an "audiophyte" and have not bought (or looked at) new equipment in some time.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis