Match Speakers to Amp

H

HGlenn

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I need a new pair of front speakers for my home theater. I don't recall how to choose the correct specs on buying speakers so I do not blow them out or choose inefficiently. Here are the details on my amp:
Pioneer VSX5700s (yes it's old)
Continuous power output of 105 watts per channel,min, at 8ohms

Would spend up to $250 for the pair.  Any suggestions would be helpful.  Thanks.</font>

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
<font color='#000000'>Can't imagine most decent speakers being either over-or underpowered by your receiver unless you have a really big room and need to crank the volume way up, but $250 is...challenging. But while that budget is a long way from high-end, you can still find speakers that don't suck.

Find the recent Consumer Reports issue that did speaker tests &amp; check out their recommendations; also see the &quot;entry-level&quot; models from companies often mentioned here such as Axiom, Paradigm, PSB, and so on. I like Cambridge Soundworks for good modestly priced speakers, too. Infinity gets a bad rap but all of the current models from entry-level to oh-my-God were developed under the watchful eye and ears of Floyd Toole who is one of the gods of speaker design; haven't heard them but they might be worth a listen these days.

And look at buying used. Good way to step up. Kind of like buying a late model BMW when you can't afford new. All you lose is the depreciation!</font>

H

HGlenn

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Thanks all. Much appreciated.</font>

K

Kenwatch

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>I would recommend the Paradigm speakers (Legend or Esprit). They have a very warm natural sound and they are priced decent for their quality ( personally I have a pair of Esprit). If you are not too picky, you can try Athena Technologies(AS-F1). It is not so bad and comes close to your budget. At least give them a try. Good luck !</font>

CyboLynx

CyboLynx

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>i buy used &nbsp;
&nbsp;
....since im on a harsh budget with 2 children a wife and pets &nbsp;
....check out pawn shops garadge saled and papers ....sometimes you can get a nice score ....</font>

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis