Mastering Home Theater

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
21 each is high.
You could use any of these from Monoprice...
...all single cables, not stereo, but good Copper conductor, insulated, etc. ;) I use the High Quality ones for my subs. Good cables.
You could buy old Rat-Shack RCA cables like I'm still using! :p

B

bedelk

Audioholic Intern
What settings do I need to adjust in the menu to account for the Carver taking over the surround channels? I will read the manual, but i'd love some advice/tips/secrets of the pros.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
just run you room correction. let it select your levels and distances. if you don't want room correction on after that, turn it off.

B

bedelk

Audioholic Intern
PLEASE HELP!!! I setup the Carver av 405 last night, making sure to plug it into the correct outlet on my monster power 3600. I was all excited as it sounded excellent, but then i noticed a steady hum coming from the 3 speakers that I connected (FL, C, FR). I decided to troubleshoot to no avail, below is what I tried.

What we know: When powered on the amp does hum a little, but only audible when close.
Troubleshooting:
1) I unplugged every device (7 others) in the Monster Power unit until only the AVR and Carver were left plugged in (buzz remained)
2) I fiddled with the volume level on the AVR, the hum does not change volume, but is audible over dialog on screen (buzz remained) so as to render it unwatchable
3) I moved the Carver to another outlet and tried connecting my phone up through the proper cable. I ran speaker wire to a Bose speaker (from my garage) that I had lying around and here's what I found.
- The speaker does not hum when connected to the Carver when it's powered on
- I plugged in my cell phone (using rca cable adapter) and didn't initially hear the hum, but after a few seconds it was back
- The hum disappears when the RCA plug is disconnected and the carver remains on.

It doesn't appear to be a ground loop as everything started plugged into the same Monster Power 3600. Does anyone have any ideas?

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
It's all RCA interconnects going from the Pioneer to the Carver AV 450. I'm more looking for a suggestion on which ones to purchase (brand, length, etc.) and where to purchase them from? Both the AVR and Amp will be in my 12u rack.

I've seen some on Monoprice for $21/piece... but i'm open to options.
I have the Monoprice RCA's and they work great. I narrowed my options down to either Monoprice or SVS. Both make great RCA cables for pretty cheap. Mine are just 3ft long since all my components are close together.

B

bedelk

Audioholic Intern
Do ground loop isolator RCA cables actually work? Not sure if it's a ground loop, but it's not going away... even after connecting the Monster Power grounding post to the chassis of the Carver AMP

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
PLEASE HELP!!! I setup the Carver av 405 last night, making sure to plug it into the correct outlet on my monster power 3600. I was all excited as it sounded excellent, but then i noticed a steady hum coming from the 3 speakers that I connected (FL, C, FR). I decided to troubleshoot to no avail, below is what I tried.

What we know: When powered on the amp does hum a little, but only audible when close.
Troubleshooting:
1) I unplugged every device (7 others) in the Monster Power unit until only the AVR and Carver were left plugged in (buzz remained)
2) I fiddled with the volume level on the AVR, the hum does not change volume, but is audible over dialog on screen (buzz remained) so as to render it unwatchable
3) I moved the Carver to another outlet and tried connecting my phone up through the proper cable. I ran speaker wire to a Bose speaker (from my garage) that I had lying around and here's what I found.
- The speaker does not hum when connected to the Carver when it's powered on
- I plugged in my cell phone (using rca cable adapter) and didn't initially hear the hum, but after a few seconds it was back
- The hum disappears when the RCA plug is disconnected and the carver remains on.

It doesn't appear to be a ground loop as everything started plugged into the same Monster Power 3600. Does anyone have any ideas?
Maybe the Monster is the problem. I had a Monster power amp years ago that had a hum, and Monters solution was to use a 3 prong to 2 prong adapter. I returned the Brand New amp and never bought Monster again.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

B

bedelk

Audioholic Intern
I"m confused... you're saying that you used a 3 prong to 2 prong adapter where the Monster plugged into the wall? The monster power center that i"m using is not an amp.

B

bedelk

Audioholic Intern
Update... I've made a few upgrades and more are on the way...

BrandModel #Input PowerOutput PowerFreq. ResponseOhms
AVRPioneer EliteSC-LX701N/A760WN/A8
LCR AmplifierANTHEMMCA 3N/A3x200WattsN/A8
Front TowersKlipschR-820-F600W (150W cont.)N/A35Hz-21kHz8
CenterKlipschR-34-C400W (100W cont.)N/A82Hz-21kHz8
Surround/Atmos AmpRotelRKB-D8100N/A8x100 WattsN/A8
SurroundKlipschSynergy S150W (200 W peak)N/A95Hz-23kHz8
Rear SurroundSpeakerCraftLCR360WN/A78Hz-20kHz8
Atmos FrontYamahaNS-IC800140W (50w nominal)N/A50Hz-28kHz8
Atmos RearYamahaNS-IC800140W (50w nominal)N/A50Hz-28kHz8
Sub 1KlipschR-120SW200W RMSN/A29-120HzN/A
Sub 2KlipschR-120SW200W RMSN/A29-120HzN/A

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Did you figure out your hum problem? My money is on that Monster... what is it exactly? Like a power conditioner/surge protector?

B

bedelk

Audioholic Intern
The Carver had been dropped on it's head during shipping and the corner was all bent. This allowed me to send it back. You can see from the above that i'm using the Anthem (3ch) and Rotel (8ch) to power the 11 speajers and there is no HUM. I also believe the CAPS on the Carver were toast.

B

bedelk

Audioholic Intern
Looking at my setup above, should I be looking to replace the speakercraft LCR3 as they are a big departure from the rest of the setup?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Rears are seldom the weak link. I wouldn’t worry about that.
If anything, replace that center with a single bookshelf speaker to eliminate lobing caused by Klipsch’s 2-way mtm design. Upgrade the subs.
Those will have the biggest impact short of replacing your entire front 3 with better speakers overall.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Looking at my setup above, should I be looking to replace the speakercraft LCR3 as they are a big departure from the rest of the setup?
I agree with @ryanosaur. I'd replace those subs first, then look into a better center solution. I'm using a bookshelf for my center channel right now myself.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I have those and they're fine. Or at least one of they LCR models. I think the five. Doesn't matter, those are fine.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis