Massdrop x AKG K7xx Audiophile Headphones?

J

Jfs

Audioholic Intern
I was thinking of these headphones:
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k7xx-massdrop-first-edition-headphones
They are: 'Massdrop x AKG K7xx Audiophile Headphones'

Would like to hear about experiences from people who have listened to these:
- sound and build quality?
How is the comfort on these. From what I have read the ear cups are shallow. Is this a problem? I think
I plan to use these from a computer and a blu-ray player.
I'm not sure of the quality of my computer sound card, as I have only used cheap earbuds. If I need a dac/amp I was thinking of getting the o2 and a dac:
https://www.jdslabs.com/store/#objective-line
Would this be a good choice?

Are these good headphones and amps/dacs for the money? Other choices?

Thanks

Last edited:
E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
The AKG 7XX are the comfort kings. I have heard them with the Mayflower version of the O2 (low gain 1X-3.3X option) and they sounded great. I also have the Massdrop Sennheiser HD-6XX (which are basically the HD-650) and I kept them both. While different, I like them both for their strengths.

The AKG 7XX have a lot going for them but in the end it depends on your listening preferences.

Last edited:
tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
O2DAC is most likely best headphone amp/dac for the price. K7XX and HD6XX are both solid choices and great for the price they go for. I personally prefer Sennheiser for comfort and sound but AKG is not bad in any way.

J

Jfs

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for replies

How much do the HD-6XX go for on Massdrop; are they offered often?
Will the o2 be enough for them?

I like a few genres of music, rock: electric and accoustical, classical, folk. How do these sound with these types of music?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I own AKG K712-Pro [mine were made in Austria]. I strongly suspect that K7XX its very close relative. How close? Is it a nearly a clone? Not sure.
I could tell you that my phones are best ones I own, in both long-term comfort and audio quality.
Few things to keep in mind is a) MassDrop doesn't have returns and b) often these semi-custom headphones "drops" are set to ship in 3 months or so. Way too long for me to way for 10-15% discount.
Chinese made AKG K712-Pro usually went for $280 or so.
My other decent phones are Sens 558 which are only a smidge below 598's. For their price I paid of $80 they are great, but not a comfortable [long-term] as my AGKs

E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
Thanks for replies

How much do the HD-6XX go for on Massdrop; are they offered often?
Will the o2 be enough for them?

I like a few genres of music, rock: electric and accoustical, classical, folk. How do these sound with these types of music?
They go for $199 if a certain number of orders are placed (they usually easily meet that requirement). You can go on Massdrop and request them, the more requests- the sooner they will drop again.

https://www.massdrop.com/audiophile/drops

Yes, the O2 will be enough. Like I said, I tried them with a Mayflower O2 with the lower gain settings and it was enough. The HD 6XX are not that hard to drive. The AKG 7XX require a little more juice and it drove them fine also.

I posted pictures of the O2 version/options I tried in this thread:

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/sennheiser-hd600-300-vs-hd650-375-vs-hifiman-he-400i-219.110517/

BTW the AKG 7XX are currently available for the next 18 hours and will ship out in 2-3 days. I agree with BoredSysAdmin, they are very, very comfortable. I find them much more comfortable than the Sennheiser HD600/650. They also have a more open sound. The AKGs are not as detailed and analytical as the Sennheisers which I also find to have a more forward presentation. I like and enjoy both.

If your source is good either will not disappoint, especially if you haven't heard the other. ;)

Last edited:
J

Jfs

Audioholic Intern
Some have requested a drop on the Sennheiser HD6xx. I added my name to that. I couldn't find a sensitivity for these headphones; what would that be?

I was looking at Mayflower and JDS Labs for the o2/odac combo unit. Do you know if there is any difference or if one is better? I couldn't see the back of the JDS model. I need a USB input from the computer as I want to bypass my sound card. Does the Mayflower version come with a 15 volt power adapter (I read that was better than 12 volt)?
Do any of these have RCA outputs or is that what the jack is for to connect to an adapter?

Can these output a signal from the dac to an external amp; If not I could always get something for that?

They both look like the same power output so should be enough to run these headphones.

Sorry if too many questions.

Joe

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Some have requested a drop on the Sennheiser HD6xx. I added my name to that. I couldn't find a sensitivity for these headphones; what would that be?

I was looking at Mayflower and JDS Labs for the o2/odac combo unit. Do you know if there is any difference or if one is better? I couldn't see the back of the JDS model. I need a USB input from the computer as I want to bypass my sound card. Does the Mayflower version come with a 15 volt power adapter (I read that was better than 12 volt)?
Do any of these have RCA outputs or is that what the jack is for to connect to an adapter?

Can these output a signal from the dac to an external amp; If not I could always get something for that?

They both look like the same power output so should be enough to run these headphones.

Sorry if too many questions.

Joe
Nominal impedance: 300 ohms. Sensitivity at 1kHz: 97dB.
Correction MassDrop AKG K7xx are actually rebranded https://www.amazon.com/AKG-Pro-Audio-Channel-Headphones/dp/B001RCD2DW
As for Sens's HD6xx - their reopened the drop. The issue is shipping day which is mid AUGUST.

Something I've just learned : Goto amazon page for Senns HD600. Find the link for Harmony. Do the call. Get %18 promo code and total price of $235 free ship and 30 days return. Amazon Prime Visa would give you back another 5%. I really starting to smell something rotten about this whole "Drop old crap at high prices on stupid masses" thing...

Last edited:
sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Something I've just learned : Goto amazon page for Senns HD600. Find the link for Harmony. Do the call. Get %18 promo code and total price of $235 free ship and 30 days return. Amazon Prime Visa would give you back another 5%. I really starting to smell something rotten about this whole "Drop old crap at high prices on stupid masses" thing...
That's a great idea as long as you want the HD600 and not the $370 HD650. The HD6XX is reportedly a rebadged HD650 in a different color.

On many other Massdrop items I usually agree with your premise and yes Amazon is sometimes within 10% or so of a Drop price without the wait and other times MD is as much as 40% lower. In this case Massdrop pulled off something really special (40% off) with their relationship with Sennheiser.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
That's a great idea as long as you want the HD600 and not the $370 HD650. The HD6XX is reportedly an HD650 in a different color.

On the other Massdrop items I usually agree with your premise and yes Amazon is sometimes within 10% or so of a Drop price without the wait, but Massdrop has pulled off something special (40% off) with their relationship with Sennheiser.
Mostly agreed. Yes, HD6XX "is" HD650, but $370 is it's current "high" price. They are fairly often sold at cheaper around $300 price.
https://camelcamelcamel.com/Sennheiser-HD-650-Professional-Headphone/product/B00018MSNI
Still not as low as $200. Agreed. That you should consider is than 650 is not necessary better headphone than hd600. they are different from what I heard with HD600 is more neutral/analytical - which for me equals better.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Mostly agreed. Yes, HD6XX "is" HD650, but $370 is it's current "high" price. They are fairly often sold at cheaper around $300 price.
https://camelcamelcamel.com/Sennheiser-HD-650-Professional-Headphone/product/B00018MSNI
Still not as low as $200. Agreed. That you should consider is than 650 is not necessary better headphone than hd600. they are different from what I heard with HD600 is more neutral/analytical - which for me equals better.
Like any speaker "better" is a matter of personal taste. Some cans can be fatiguing
after extended listening while others can be cozy. I chose the 6XX/650 because I wanted an accurate but cozy sound signature for hours of vegged out listening. Again it's personal taste and mood driven.

Last edited:
CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
The HD6XX is reportedly a rebadged HD650 in a different color.
They are. I used to own both & sold the 650s two weeks after I got the HDXX. Could not tell any difference in SQ or tonality. There very good mixing headphones, I use them mostly for work. But I can see why some people prefer other cans that would be a little brighter or bass heavy for music. Like your said really depends on taste.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis