Marvel movies/TV series Discussion Thread

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
There are layers on layers of hidden meanings and deep cut references all through that show. The label on the bottle of wine in ep 1 when translated directly references "House of M". Even the sit-comish dialogue seems to have multiple meanings. A lot of clues pointing toward Mephisto (Marvel's version of Satan himself) being the one behind the scenes pulling the strings right now, manipulating Wanda for some purpose. Agnes (possibly aka "Agatha Harkness", a witch from the comics) references her mysterious offscreen husband Ralph quite often and her bunny's name is "Señor Scratchy". Which is another name for the devil "Old Scratch".

Agnes has several lines throughout the show with meta meanings and deep cut references. One scene where she meets Wanda the first time she does this little hand gesture in front of Wanda while saying "Wanda, charmed!". I see that as a double meaning. As a greeting OR as an observation. As in Wanda has been charmed by someone and isn't completely in control... There are more than a couple of "Devil's in the details" (said Dottie during the 'for the children' meeting) references in the dialogue too. Agnes replies to that line with "That's not the only place he is..." There's a ton of stuff like that littered all through the dialogue. This show is setting up the entire phase 4 for Marvel. This has implications for Dr strange, Spiderman and the Spiderverse, mutants... everything!

I told you guys I'm a huge Marvel nerd!
Dude you know your Marvel history. I'm impressed. Without googling can you tell me which comic Mephisto first appeared in? Also he was a player in the comic version of the Infinity Gauntlet along with some other cosmic heavy hitters that never made the movies.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Dude you know your Marvel history. I'm impressed. Without googling can you tell me which comic Mephisto first appeared in? Also he was a player in the comic version of the Infinity Gauntlet along with some other cosmic heavy hitters that never made the movies.
I want to say he first showed up in a Dr Strange comic, but I'd have to Google to know for sure. You got me there!

Mephisto is the one who was whispering into Thanos' ear the whole time during the Infinity Gauntlet. He's the one who tricked Thanos into taking over and becoming Eternity, I think, causing him to not be wearing the gauntlet right? And yeah, pretty much all of the heavy hitting cosmic beings got involved in that one. It got even crazier in the comics!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm curious as to what was going with the neighbor when Vision comes out of the house. I don't want to say too much, and maybe it's a little too soon since the episode airs, but there has to be something with the what he is doing.
A glitch in the Matrix! I'm not sure what was happening there, but that same scene further reinforces to me that Agnes knows a lot more than she's letting on. She's definitely involved in this somehow. I just don't know exactly how. I think she knows what's going on and she's afraid of something.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I want to say he first showed up in a Dr Strange comic, but I'd have to Google to know for sure. You got me there!

Mephisto is the one who was whispering into Thanos' ear the whole time during the Infinity Gauntlet. He's the one who tricked Thanos into taking over and becoming Eternity, I think, causing him to not be wearing the gauntlet right? And yeah, pretty much all of the heavy hitting cosmic beings got involved in that one. It got even crazier in the comics!
Mephisto first appeared in Silver Surfer back in the 70s when he had his own comic. He was whispering in Thanos ear but eventually attacked Thanos along with Lady Death in the Infinity Gauntlet. You are correct though as Thanos defeated Eternity last and took his place at least for a short while. I have the Infinity Gauntlet series as well as some Surfer books and you do indeed have some Marvel History chops. :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Mephisto first appeared in Silver Surfer back in the 70s when he had his own comic. He was whispering in Thanos ear but eventually attacked Thanos along with Lady Death in the Infinity Gauntlet. You are correct though as Thanos defeated Eternity last and took his place at least for a short while. I have the Infinity Gauntlet series as well as some Surfer books and you do indeed have some Marvel History chops. :)
Thanks, lol. Tho I don't usually wear it like a badge of honor. I'm a little too old to still be this much into comics! I think Eternity is one of the coolest looking cosmic beings.
tumblr_m8ix884oOd1rcp7bmo1_1280.jpg
675224-thanos_takes_on_eternity.jpg
675241-thanoseternia.jpg

It's been quite a while since I read the story but I do have it on digital now and I'm getting the itch to read it again. Adam Warlock and Silver Surfer played such big roles too. I was a little disappointed we didn't get Adam for that, after they teased him in the 2nd Guardians movie. Disappointed, but the movies were so good I didn't care. I think Marvel has nailed the MCU so far. These are true interpretations of the comics. This is a dream come true for a young little Pogre!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I really want them to fold in the Fanastic Four and X-Men in a good way. I would like to see a more faithful physicality to Wolverine and REALLY want them to include Alpha Flight in the MCU and not put Wolverine right into the X-Men. I want a a whole phase dedicated to 1984’s Marvel Superheros Secret Wars. But, there is much to do before that can happen. Oh, and later, how bout’ some love for West Coast Avengers? I enjoy all of it. I keep my Jim Shooter signed copy of Secret Wars in a safe place.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Where’s Ultraman?:confused:

I sold the books already and it looks like I might have just sold the towers! Time to order my center channel!

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Just finished watching Captain Marvel. I'd only seen that one once, and that was in theatre when it came out 2 years ago (yes, its been 2 years already).

I barely remembered what happened in the movie in a specific way, just the general plot of the movie. It was really good.

Now onto #3 in the MCU timeline: Iron Man. After that, only 17 more movies to go :p

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Iron Man was on the docket last night.

I hadn't seen it in quite some time, and it did not disappoint. What a great movie, and the movie that launched the MCU. Hard to believe that it came out almost 13 years ago. Crazy.

It's a shame that the actors have to age (shame we all have to lol). Robert Downey Jr is simply perfect as Iron Man/ Tony Stark. They'll never be able to replace him IMO. Same with Chris Evans as Cap.

Next up on the list: Iron Man 2.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Also, rumor mill has Jon Berenthal returning to reprise his role as Frank Castle (aka The Punisher) in the MCU.

Daredevil (Charlie Cox) is also returning, and apparently making appearances in the upcoming Spider-Man movie as well as the She-Hulk TV show.

Jessica Jones (Krysten Ritter) is also rumored to be coming over as well.

Exciting times for us Marvel/MCU fans.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Also, rumor mill has Jon Berenthal returning to reprise his role as Frank Castle (aka The Punisher) in the MCU.

Daredevil (Charlie Cox) is also returning, and apparently making appearances in the upcoming Spider-Man movie as well as the She-Hulk TV show.

Jessica Jones (Krysten Ritter) is also rumored to be coming over as well.

Exciting times for us Marvel/MCU fans.
I heard about Punny and DD, but didn't know about JJ. I really like Krysten Ritter and think she really sells it as Jessica. The first season was really, really good imo. It started faltering by the end of season 2 but I think season 1 was underrated. The antagonist in S1 is one of the more disturbing and scary bad guys in the MCU, I thought. Great show.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Just finished watching Captain Marvel. I'd only seen that one once, and that was in theatre when it came out 2 years ago (yes, its been 2 years already).

I barely remembered what happened in the movie in a specific way, just the general plot of the movie. It was really good.

Now onto #3 in the MCU timeline: Iron Man. After that, only 17 more movies to go :p
Dang thanks for the reminder I got to watch it. I bought the 3D and bluray version. Maybe this weekend. :)

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I bought many of the Marvel movies in 3D and was really disappointed to find that, when watching the UHD and Disney+ versions, the IMAX scenes were cropped. The only way to see them in their original aspect ratio is on the 3D discs. :confused: Yes, I signed the silly petition. :p Disney played with aspect ratios on "The Mandalorian" and "WandaVision" and I hope they fix the Marvel movies. I still watch my favorite clips from the various Marvel movies every night. Last night, it was Sony Marvel movie "Spiderman: Far From Home. There are some great scenes in that one and Messy Marvin/Ralphy returns!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis