Marvel movies/TV series Discussion Thread

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
It's been a minute since I visited this thread.

Article above aside, I've heard nothing but glowing reviews and positive things about Guardians of The Galaxy III. Some going so far as to say it's the best Marvel movie ever. I'm torn as to whether or not I'm seeing it in theatre. On the one hand, if it's nearly as good as they're saying then I want to see it before home release. On the other hand, I've grown a rabid dislike of seeing movies in commercial theaters, especially since my HT room is way better than any commercial theater I've ever been to.

Tough call. Guess I'll wait a week or so and see what some people I know have to say about it, and decide from there.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Itching to go see GG3 since I saw the first two in theaters. Might be try it in D-Box this time. In other news, Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania will be on Disney+ in two days. I’m curious if IMAX DTS is finally supported with this title. We’ll see.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, and IMAX ratio not for the entirety of the movie like some other titles. :confused:

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Yeah, and IMAX ratio not for the entirety of the movie like some other titles. :confused:
I think Endgame and Infinity War were the only two totally in Imax. CA Civil War had one scene in Imax.
It used to be that the 3D versions were in Imax....not any more.
That's ok, Marvels' about at the bottom of my viewing list since they imploded.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, 3-D versions had selected scenes in IMAX. Shame about the UHD discs. “Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings” and “Dr. Strange in the Multiverse of Madness” are also in IMAX ratio for entire movie run.

Quantumania wasn’t a bad movie but, um, I’d seen it before and was underwhelmed when, spoiler alert, they called it Tron:Legacy. Remember? An a$$hole trapped in the inside brings a schmuck in from the outside to help him get out and unleash his army on the world. Amazing visuals, but a bit slow and Cassie was a f#%kin’ brat. The character was poorly written here and should not have been recast. Scott’s crew was missed here as well.

Last edited:
isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Yeah, 3-D versions had selected scenes in IMAX. Shame about the UHD discs. “Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings” and “Dr. Strange in the Multiverse of Madness” are also in IMAX ratio for entire movie run.
Those are two I don't have...can't bear to watch them again even if they made them in GmaXXX :)

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Screw it, got my GG3 D-BOX tickets. Gonna' be a good time.
Enjoy. I'm still undecided on whether to see it in theatre. My last two theatre experiences (Dr. Strange 2 and Avatar 2) left a bad taste in my mouth. The movies were OK (though, Avatar 2 was very meeehhh), but the terrible seats, over priced snacks, mediocre picture and sound quality, along with the Jack offs in the theater, made the whole experience less than ideal. Watching in the comfort of my HT room is so much more enjoyable in every way.

My son and I were discussing going and seeing it in theatre, but he said he doesn't care to, and he'd rather wait the ~3 months until we can watch it at home. He said if I really want to go see it, he'll come with me though. I'm still mulling it over.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think Endgame and Infinity War were the only two totally in Imax. CA Civil War had one scene in Imax.
It used to be that the 3D versions were in Imax....not any more.
That's ok, Marvels' about at the bottom of my viewing list since they imploded.
I think a lot of the newer movies using 4-8K digital cameras like Arri Alexa, Sony Venice, and Panavision DXL2 are shot 100% in IMAX because these digital cameras are IMAX cameras. But these directors or producers or studio people choose to crop a lot of the scenes to 2.35:1 or 16:9 ratios.

For example, when someone asked Joseph Kosinski how he chose which scenes in “Top Gun Maverick” to shoot in IMAX, he said 100% of the movie was shot in IMAX using the Sony Venice digital camera. But HE chose to crop some of the “personal” scenes because he felt it made the scenes more “INTIMATE”. :eek:

I think these new 4-8K digital IMAX cameras have a feature that allows them to crop to whatever ratio they want. They could choose to keep it in IMAX ratios or 2.39, 1.7, 1.85 or whatever. The beauty of newer digital technologies.

Now if they’re stuck in the stone ages like Christopher Nolan who still uses ANALOG cameras, then he would have to use one analog dinosaur camera for one ratio and another analog IMAX camera. And have shitey DTS-HD audio soundtracks like Tenet. :D

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Ok, just got home from GG3 in D-BOX and variable aspect ratio. Didn’t expect the switch to IMAX ratio in a non IMAX room. Really wish these things were displayed in the IMAX ratio for the duration at this point. If you are a Guardians fan, run, don’t walk to this movie!

I have a soft spot for the Guardian's movies. They stand on their own and have been done well. But, that’s just me. If I could only watch three of the Marvel movies from the current batch, the three Guardians movies would be them. I’ve become a big sap watching these movies. I laughed, I cried and cheered while the D-BOX chair moved like crazy. I may have peed a little bit.

No spoilers here but I will say this movie contains one of my favorite fight scenes of all time! Just one of the best f#%kin’ times I’ve ever had at the movies. Results will vary, of course.
IMG_4100.jpeg

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Enjoy. I'm still undecided on whether to see it in theatre. My last two theatre experiences (Dr. Strange 2 and Avatar 2) left a bad taste in my mouth. The movies were OK (though, Avatar 2 was very meeehhh), but the terrible seats, over priced snacks, mediocre picture and sound quality, along with the Jack offs in the theater, made the whole experience less than ideal. Watching in the comfort of my HT room is so much more enjoyable in every way.

My son and I were discussing going and seeing it in theatre, but he said he doesn't care to, and he'd rather wait the ~3 months until we can watch it at home. He said if I really want to go see it, he'll come with me though. I'm still mulling it over.
This is the exact reason I don't go to theaters anymore. Granted, mine is out of date too, but my office isn't. :)

The people part of the theater is what bugs me. Granted, the one in town is pretty good about that stuff. I didn't have any issues when we took our kids to see Frozen 2, but still. I've been in theaters where teens are just being loud and looking at their phones the whole time. Why even go?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Some theaters are used for socializing rather than real movie watching. I avoid the theater in my area that caters to self important douche bags and go to one in the rougher side of town. Not many people there during weekday matinees.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Ok, just got home from GG3 in D-BOX and variable aspect ratio. Didn’t expect the switch to IMAX ratio in a non IMAX room. Really wish these things were displayed in the IMAX ratio for the duration at this point. If you are a Guardians fan, run, don’t walk to this movie!

I have a soft spot for the Guardian's movies. They stand on their own and have been done well. But, that’s just me. If I could only watch three of the Marvel movies from the current batch, the three Guardians movies would be them. I’ve become a big sap watching these movies. I laughed, I cried and cheered while the D-BOX chair moved like crazy. I may have peed a little bit.

No spoilers here but I will say this movie contains one of my favorite fight scenes of all time! Just one of the best f#%kin’ times I’ve ever had at the movies. Results will vary, of course.
View attachment 62034
Good. Glad you loved it. Will be watching this movie for sure.

Then again, I’ve seen every single Marvels and DC movie ever made. :D

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Good. Glad you loved it. Will be watching this movie for sure.

Then again, I’ve seen every single Marvels and DC movie ever made. :D
What would you say the good to bad ratio is for all those movies? Who made out better, DC or Marvel?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
It was bad, but "Fantastic Four" 1994 was a piece o' flamin' s#%t.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis