Martin logan Odyssey Vs newer esl 8

M

mycrownvico2

Audiophyte
I have the opportunity to get some older Martin Logan Odysseys for $1500 in mint condition. The newer Martin Logan ESL 8 goes for about 2,500 brand new for the pair. Unfortunately I will not be able to audition The Odysseys until I go to purchase them because of the traveling distance, but based on what I've heard from the ESL panels at Best Buy I love the martinlogan sound. So my question is do you think that the odyssey's will offer Superior Sound to the entry-level ESL 8 at the local Magnolia store? The odyssey's have a much larger panel, as they are 6 feet tall, and they also have a 10in woofer as well as an 8 in each cabinet, which should offer more bass response as well.

Thanks

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
How long ago were the Odyssey produced?
Did they say why they are selling them?

Edit: Odyssey produced in 2003.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
this is hearsay. I wish I had a better source, but I have heard that the panels are recommended to be replaced every 15 years according to Martin Logan. You might call them and ask to verify! If so these would be about at that point.

M

mycrownvico2

Audiophyte
I haven't heard that they need to be replaced every 15 years, but I would assume most probably replace them when they hear 1 panel going bad. He said he was selling them because he's upgrading, or going with something else. I will be auditioning them, so I will be able to hear if one sounds off. I've heard stories about some people being able to keep the original panels for a long time, and others have not. I guess that's just depends on how you use them and how they are treated. It sounds like he doesn't use these a whole lot and they are pretty mint..

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I would give Martin Logan customer service a call and talk to them. They have reputation for being very responsive and helpful.
As a minimum I would ask what concerns to have with older models like the odyssey's and also if there were any major improvements for the newer models.

M

mycrownvico2

Audiophyte
These seemed to have been purchased in 2005. According to the owner.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis