Martin Logan impression 11a with room treatments

CuGame

CuGame

Audioholic Intern
My Martin logan 11a is on the way. It build with ARC. Seen my home theater room had install some bass traps and phase coherence. Should I use ARC with it with the treatments or without them?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I don't know anything about M-L's ARC system; however, I believe it is a safe practice to make things as good as you can before running the ARC.
If you feel the need to eliminate the bass traps and coherence treatments, you can try running it without them, but I think it is better to actually fix the room than to fix the signal. Bass traps fix the room and ARC attempts to "fix" the room by altering the signal! I think ARC can make valid improvements, but I would not consider it the first resort if you can accommodate treatments!

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
Set the room up first with your room treatments. The ARC software should be run last. I don't know what the break in period is for the 11a's, but you will more than likely want to run the ARC software again after the speakers have settled in. When my Paradigm speakers had more than 100 hours on them it became obvious that I needed to run it again, and the results confirmed that. Everything has been stable since then.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
We asked Tom from PSA about this a couple years ago over at AVS and he said something to the effect of it might take a second or 2 to break it in but anything beyond that is a myth. It's your ears that break in to the unique signature of a speaker. His word is good enough for me as he knows speakers better than anyone else I have ever talked to.

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
Klipsch Fluance Cambridge

Here's a quote that probably sums it up best:

"The short answer is that a speaker doesn’t need to be broken in. It’s a natural occurrence that happens with use. As a speaker is played, physical changes take place that make the speaker sound better. The upper-mids and highs start to sound warmer and smoother and the low end acquires a bit more punch."

Speakers do sound better after they've been played for hours. And my ears have been broken in for decades, thank you.;)

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Thats from Klipsch tho. They are known for having speakers that sound too bright and harsh. So of course their goto response at the call center would be "Tell customers they get better with time so they won't return them." :)

CuGame

CuGame

Audioholic Intern
As for me after owned the ML BalancedForce 212 for year found that the bass start too vibrated my wall and upstairs. Went back and recalibrate it again , the sub volume went off about 10db.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis