Martin Logan Fresco i with planar mid and tweeter

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I was wondering if anyone knows whether these have decent dispersion for a broad sweetspot.
Magnepan planars have a reputation for "head in a vice" sweetspot, but The Phil3's use a planar mid with good dispersion. Seems like the smaller the driver the better the dispersion?

https://www.soundandvision.com/inwallspeakers/708ml

I'd also appreciate any general comments from anyone who has heard them.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
I was wondering if anyone knows whether these have decent dispersion for a broad sweetspot.
Magnepan planars have a reputation for "head in a vice" sweetspot, but The Phil3's use a planar mid with good dispersion. Seems like the smaller the driver the better the dispersion?

It looks like they're using the BG Neo 8s planar and the BG Neo3 tweeter. There should be no problem with dispersion from either unit, but the placement is very strange. The tweeter will go out of phase with the mid off axis horizontally. So that would restrict the sweet spot. And yes, the smaller the width of driver, the better the horizontal dispersion, and the shorter it is, the greater the vertical dispersion (not necessarily a good thing).

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
It looks like they're using the BG Neo 8s planar and the BG Neo3 tweeter. There should be no problem with dispersion from either unit, but the placement is very strange. The tweeter will go out of phase with the mid off axis horizontally. So that would restrict the sweet spot. And yes, the smaller the width of driver, the better the horizontal dispersion, and the shorter it is, the greater the vertical dispersion (not necessarily a good thing).
Thanks! I just want to make sure I follow!
In the picture below, am I correct in understanding that as long as this speaker (which is left) is toed-in such that the tweeter is pointed straight at the LP (or farther to the right) there would not be a problem?
The wall mounts are hinged to allow pivoting about the vertical axis.
(I think this one with the clear baffle was custom made for an EXPO or something)
Thanks!

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Thanks! I just want to make sure I follow!
In the picture below, am I correct in understanding that as long as this speaker (which is left) is toed-in such that the tweeter is pointed straight at the LP (or farther to the right) there would not be a problem?
The wall mounts are hinged to allow pivoting about the vertical axis.
Thanks!

I assume the response has been optimized for for midpoint between the woofers. Of course, the late arrival reflections will have a suck out at the crossover frequency between the mid and tweet. Sean Olive would never approve.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
LOL, I am still a little concerned that we are not in agreement in the orientation of the speaker when mentioning horizontal or vertical.
When you mention that the response has been optimized for for midpoint between the woofers, I am thinking of that as the mounting height of the speakers.
The speakers mount on both side of the TV like this (ignore the center) and the mount has a pivot to allow toe-in of the side speakers (and tilting up for center):

So what I think I know is that I would want to toe in the side speakers so that they would be pointing straight at me or in front of me (which would essentially be the equivalent of having a simple two way speaker and making sure my ears are on or above the axis of the tweeter to avoid interference from the mid-woofer). Does that resolve the issue, or am I oversimplifying?

Thanks!

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
LOL, I am still a little concerned that we are not in agreement in the orientation of the speaker when mentioning horizontal or vertical.
When you mention that the response has been optimized for for midpoint between the woofers, I am thinking of that as the mounting height of the speakers.
The speakers mount on both side of the TV like this (ignore the center) and the mount has a pivot to allow toe-in of the side speakers (and tilting up for center):

So what I think I know is that I would want to toe in the side speakers so that they would be pointing straight at me or in front of me (which would essentially be the equivalent of having a simple two way speaker and making sure my ears are on or above the axis of the tweeter to avoid interference from the mid-woofer). Does that resolve the issue, or am I oversimplifying?

Thanks!
If the response is optimized for the midpoint between the woofers on axis, then you would want to pivot them toward you. If they were optimized for 15-20 degrees off-axis, then you wouldn't pivot them. But in either case the reflected sound will have a suck out at the crossover region. Whether that's a tiny problem or a big one depends on how important you think late-arrival reflected sound is. Sean thinks it's very important. I'm not so sure. But the side-by-side placement of the tweeter is certainly not optimal.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis