• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Marillion Marbles Concert DVD Giveaway August 2005

Music Video Distributors is hosting a Marillion Marbles DVD Concert Giveaway this month on our forums. They are giving away 4 signed copies from the band to our forum members. To be eligible to win you must vote in our poll and also post relevant input to the following question:

What are the fundamental elements of importance to an excellent concert DVD (ie. video quality, audio quality, extras, interviews, etc)?

We are pleased to be hosting this contest to one of our all time favorite British Rock Bands. If you haven’t heard of Marillion before, we recommend you read:
1) Our Review of the Marbles DVD
2) Our interview of the Band
3) Pick up the recommended titles at the end of our interview :)

The contest ends August 31, 2005. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter.

Last edited by a moderator:
algernon

algernon

Audioholic
Features I like to see in a concert DVD are:
most important: sound quality.
extras and interviews are also interesting to get a deeper look into the performers.

As I had not heard of Marillion before discovering Audioholics, I voted no.
I am a fan of the 70's Progressive Rock: Yes, ELP, Genesis. Which Marillion album would be recommended to listen to first for someone with these tastes?

HookedOnSound

HookedOnSound

Full Audioholic
What are the fundamental elements of importance to an excellent concert DVD (ie. video quality, audio quality, extras, interviews, etc)?
audio quality first,
video quality second

The way I see it is if the video shots are bad you can always close your eyes and listen to just the music instead. I know I can't shutoff my ears :p

I cannot recall hearing the band Marillion before but I am pretty open to all sorts of music, next time I go to a music store I might try to pickup an album (if I don't win the concert DVD)

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Audio quality always has to come first. Preferably in a surround format. Secondly, as with a live concert, I like to be able to see what's going on onstage. So the video quality and the images on the screen are important to me also. It's also a nice bonus to get interviews with the band off stage as well.

I remember Marillion back in the days of Lavender and Kayleih (pretty sure I spelled that wrong, Wordweb help me now). Probably the peak of their commercial success.

mkossler

mkossler

Audioholic
What do I look for in a concert DVD?

• DTS encoding. Hands-down the best, given the right source and transfer. 5.1 or 7.1, I don't give a damn. Once Telarc'd, never the same :)
  • Extras are okay, but I think the Eagles got it right on HFO - concentrate the extras on leading me up to the performance!
  • I don't give a damn about any art, or anything static for that matter- I'm watching video, and expect a multimedia experience.
  • Please, kindly, annihilate the previews! They are relevant for ten minutes. A menu option for trailers is much more attractive, and I really will check them out for cool audio effects.
  • Speaking of previews / trailers, how's about some DTS encoding, people? Okay, I'll settle for DD...

Cheers,

Matty K.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I'm looking for some awesome quality audio. The video is a nice bonus, but if I can sit back, close my eyes and feel like I'm there, then it's a good buy.

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Omigod, I'm nearly peeing myself in excitement here. I want this DVD so bad I can taste it!

Okay, here goes. The single most important element of any concert DVD is the audio. It has to be mixed in 5.1 for starters (and preferably in DTS), and shouldn't be mixed in such a way as to place the listener in the middle of the music. Leave that for studio surround mixes. The live music should be mainly in the front three speakers, with a little bit of echo/reverb in the surrounds. The audience should be heard in the surround channels, not in the front three, and shouldn't be mixed to be too loud. Let the focus be on the music.

As was reported in the review of this DVD, it's difficult to make a concert look good in both the live venue AND for the cameras. Therefore, video is of secondary importance. Still important though. And it should be anamorphic widescreen. I mean, why not? While I can understand the lead singer being on camera a little more than the other band members, I like to see all band members fairly represented on camera. And keep the extreme closeups of the band members to a minimum. I don't want the camera to be so close that I can see a recently popped pimple or gross stuff up someone's nose.

The extras are the next most important thing. Interviews with the band members should not come between songs; leave that for the end, or rather, leave that as a separate extra. Interviews regarding the current tour, the current album, how the sound or musical direction have changed, how certain songs evolved -- stuff like that. Behind the scenes footage is good too. I love seeing what a band is up to in the hour or so leading up to a gig. Other much valued extras would include music videos of the songs from the album that's being toured; stills from the tour programme; a bio of the band and of each band member; a link to an exclusive web page to stream or download exclusive multimedia content. I saw one concert DVD that had interviews with fans -- that's okay, but really not that important. Pages with printed lyrics are okay, but most people who buy a concert DVD are already familiar with the band/album, so it's not really necessary. Maybe a multi-angle feature for selected songs (or even all of them). Leave out the running commentary, though. Too often those lapse into silence while the band simply listen to the gig with the occasional "Hey! I forgot about that bit. That was cool!" popping in. It's generally worthless.

To those who are curious about what Marillion albums to start with, I'd recommend Marbles first. It's widely considered the best of the bunch, although that might be because fans are excited about the newest music released. After Marbles, check out Brave (listen to it in one whole go if you can) and Afraid of Sunlight. To hear Marillion fronted by their old singer Fish, check out Clutching at Straws and Misplaced Childhood (MC in one go if possible, a la Brave). Yeah, I think that's their top five. Although I'll give Season's End an honourable mention.

O please o please o please pick me as one of the winners! I'll be the happiest Marillion fan in the world if I could just get my hands on one of these DVDs! (By the way, is it the single- or double-disc version?) No matter; I'm so juiced about this, I'll happily take anything!

cheers,
supervij

R

Rutlanda

Junior Audioholic
Fingers crossed...

Man its tough to follow supervij! I am happy with a concert DVD when the emphasis is placed on quality audio recorded in such a way as to place the listener in the audience. You really get the whole experience when you are placed in the venue. Audio should be the priority while quality video is a bonus. Thanks for the chance to get a free DVD...this site rocks!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I am a fan of the 70's Progressive Rock: Yes, ELP, Genesis. Which Marillion album would be recommended to listen to first for someone with these tastes?
You have very similar tastes to me so here is my recommendation for you:
1) Brave
2) Strange Engine
3) Holidays in Eden
4) Seasons End
5) Marillion.com

if you want to dabble in their old stuff which sounds very much like Genesis/Peter Gabriel try:
1) Script for a Jesters Tear
2) Misplaced Childhood

IMO this is their best stuff based on a progressive rock taste and for that matter I feel they are the best progressive rock band since Genesis. The great thing is their commercial songs still retain appeal to progressive rock enthusiasts while they also maintain a high WAF :)

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
Both audio and video quality are important. Nothing worse than having a great sounding disc with terrible video and vise-versa.

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
No question that DTS surround is best for Audio.

I would greatly appreciate a DVD concert production where the sound engineering pays attention to the Video portion. If certain instruments are seen on the right side of the stage (and on our screen) those instruments should be heard on speakers to the right and not on the left and certainly not sent 100% to a rear surround speaker (Farewell 1 Tour by the Eagles).

Camera angles of the musicians should always be done with some consideration of the audio output. If it's not possible to switch the sound of instruments from the original set of speakers to one side to a new set of speakers on the other side, because of the new camera angle, then watch the camera angles to keep some degree of logic for the Video/Audio rendition.

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
gene[I said:
What are the fundamental elements of importance to an excellent concert DVD (ie. video quality, audio quality, extras, interviews, etc)?[/I]
First and foremost would have to be Audio quality, no point in watching a concert is you can't enjoy the music!

Video quality comes in at a high second, if you use multiple cameras on a show...make sure they are all the same, it bugs me when different cameras are used, the color is off, white balance is off, use the same cameras :D .

Third would be the structure and flow of the DVD, I have seen some lame concert DVD's, the transitions from song to song are so poor that it is hard to enjoy the DVD, you can never get "pulled into" the concert. And some of the camera shots can make you dizzy with all the "artistic" crap that they do, like using the camera on the boom rig to swoop in on the stage and then out just as fast. And what is it about adding video clips of the audience? I mean I bought the DVD for the band not to see screaming fans.

Extras are a good add on, such as interviews, behind the scene footage, bloopers, and still photos...but I would leave out voce over commentaries.

Just my $.02 I hope I win :D

K

Kurt C.

Audioholic Intern
As others have said, audio quality is my highest priority. DTS with as high resolution as possible. I'm willing to give up some extra features if extra space on the disk is needed for higher resolution audio.

Also, I like concert videos to present the show as I would experience it if I had the best seat in the house. Limit the sweeping camera tricks, special effects etc--if I want that stuff, I'll watch MTV. Just give me a nice view of the musicians doing what they do best--playing music.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Audio Quality, Multiple audio formats, video quality, and extras.
These are my pics in order of importance.

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
Marillion is one of my favorite bands. I just got "live from loreley" & "recital of the script"...awesome. My third disc I ever bought, back in 1988, was "script for jesters tear". I bought it because i liked the packaging and never looked back. That two disc set has probably spent the most time riding my various cd players!!! I saw them in concert in 1991 (i think it was 91) in Cleveland Oh at a small venue (fantasy theater for all you fact checkers) and was one of the best concerts Ive ever seen.

Now to the question...
I love seeing concert DVD's reproduced as if you were at the show. I dont mind interviews but hate when they break up the show with them. A great band, with a great recording, on a great system is like a mini vacation!!! I like multiple camera angles, good resolution, and most of all, great sound!!

A

aarond

Full Audioholic
i will watch a dvd concert or music videos with fair to poor video as long as the audio is great

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
(1) Great surround audio
(2) Clear video

If I get these two I'm happy, but while we are at it:

What I really like is multi-angle so you can switch from band member to band member. It's nice for musicians to focus on an individual to see what there doing.

Interveiws are great as long as there played during the song. (I hate that) Between songs is ok but as an extra is best.

Beer / Jack & Coke...

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
Kurt C. said:
As others have said, audio quality is my highest priority. DTS with as high resolution as possible. I'm willing to give up some extra features if extra space on the disk is needed for higher resolution audio.

Also, I like concert videos to present the show as I would experience it if I had the best seat in the house. Limit the sweeping camera tricks, special effects etc--if I want that stuff, I'll watch MTV. Just give me a nice view of the musicians doing what they do best--playing music.
I agree with Kurt concerning the video quality.
To me, at a concert, Video quality is number 1. When I watch a concert dvd, I want to feel like I am there. Audio is also very important (5.1 etc), BUT...at a real life concert, there are thousands of screaming fans, the artist can be out of tune, the speakers loud as hell, etc, etc.

I want it to be as realistic as possible, not something that has been completely doctored up.
Maybe on a concert dvd have a live verson of the concert, and a doctored up verson..so the consumer can choose which to watch.

Reorx

B

Bobby2x

Junior Audioholic
I think Extras are the best on DVD concert disc's
It really makes a disc stand out!

C

cristeen69

Audiophyte
Giveaway

The most important is audio quality. The second most important is image quality . I like a nice sharp picture . Interviews with the band and backstage clips are very nice extras and would make me more inclined to purchase a concert dvd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis