Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
Ok guys I went to my local audio store this weekend cause Im looking to get a new reciever amongst other things and I looked a a few recievers including the Marantz SR8500 and was wondering youre thoghts on it. I did a lil side by side comparison with a Integra DTR-7.5 and the Marantz SR7500 and as far as music is concerned I thought the Marantz sounded better but keep in mind Im more of a movie guy. So after I went home I looked up some other Marantz recievers and the SR8500 has everything I want and is really the only reciever that I can find with DVI inputs that isnt really expensive. Anythoughts would be great.

Thanks,
Sean

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
If you are interested in DVI inputs and switching I'd wait. There a bunch of receivers coming out with HDMI inputs/switching within the next year. The future is HDMI not DVI.

Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
Duffinator said:
If you are interested in DVI inputs and switching I'd wait. There a bunch of receivers coming out with HDMI inputs/switching within the next year. The future is HDMI not DVI.
Yeah I know that HDMI is the new thing but the reason I even want DVI is cause im a computer nerd to and run my computers through my system. Im more than happy with using Componet and Optical for all my connections.

Sean

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Code:
So after I went home I looked up some other Marantz recievers and the SR8500 has everything I want and is really the only reciever that I can find with DVI inputs that isnt really expensive.  Anythoughts would be great.

Thanks,
Sean
Code:
Isn't really that expensive?
Are they dealing on that receiver now? I thought it couldn't be had for under $1300. I considered it before buying my Denon, but it was brand new. The SR8400's were going for under $500, and I just couldn't bring myself to spend that much on one model year newer. I do like it a ton though.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
That 8500 is one good looking feature laden machine. I just got the 8400 and I love it. The 8500 is better lookng with the more spartan face and has even more features such a s auto speaker setup and THX certification. I say do it. The Marantzes don't have the DSP modes or some features found on many receivers, but they have a great sound and are as easy as pie to set up. Function over form if you will. The remote for my 8400 took a little getting used to but only because it is different than my other remotes. It is awesome and controls every feature on every piece of equipment I use with ease (except for disc skip on my DVD changer but I can program that in when I get some time).

Go with the 8500 and you won't regret it IMO.

T

tuuney

Enthusiast
is it a good comparision between this Martz 8500 and HK 7300?

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
tuuney said:
is it a good comparision between this Martz 8500 and HK 7300?
IMHO, no. The SR8500 is an outstanding unit, but weighs in at 33lbs. The HK7300 tips the scales at over 55lbs. Much larger power supply as well as heat sinks. Now the Marantz SR9600 comes in at 57.3 lbs, but at an msrp of $4100! The SR8500's competition would be the Denon 3805, the Yamaha 2500, the Pioneer Elite 54TX, and Onkyo 901. The HK7300 has the DCDI engine image processing which upconverts all inputs to high-resolution component video - the best on the market.

C

Catdaddy

Junior Audioholic
I bought a Marantz 8500 and found that the Yamaha 5590 that I have had for a couple/few years seemed to outperform it (for me), specially for movie viewing.

If movie viewing is your deal, like it is mine, I would suggest looking at the Yamaha RX-V4600. That is the one I am waiting on, personally. Has HDMI switching, along with all the fancy bells and whistles you would need from a top end receiver .. with a middle range receiver's price.

I actually could have had my hands on a Denon 5803 for just a little north of $1300 and am still kicking myself for passing it up, but I just spent over 3k on a 110 firehawk screen, a RC9500, and an X-10 setup/install for my media room (as a father's day gift) and wouldave incurred all sorts of crap from my wife, which I was contemplating on doing anyways.

In the end though, the fact that Im convinced Yamaha's are best if movie viewing is your thing, and that the 5803 has no DVI or HDMI switching, has me still clamoring for the RX-V4600, over the over-priced (non-yamaha) Denon 4806. The X360 and PS3 are going to be HDMI outputted and it would be nice to have a digital transfer of those to your display, not to mention blu-ray and HD-DVD, which are also imminent.

The price-point for the RX-V4600 is similar to the Marantz SR8500s and it is due any day now.

If you cant wait on a receiver, I would recommend getting a cheaper Yamaha HTR or RX receiver in the interim.

:) j/k Buckeye .. kinda :)

Last edited:
Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
A reciver with HDMI switching is definately going to be a must in a year or so, just think of the list, HDTV Set top box, HD-DVD/Blu-Ray, X-box 360, PS3, all are going to be hdmi...and my poor tv only has one DVI input....darn u technology as soon as we can finally upgrade theres something new out

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis