Marantz SR8400 without sub

M

mrsecman

Audiophyte
Greetings,

I recently purchased a SR8400. This is the first A/V receiver that I have ever owned. How do I configure the system to send all the bass frequencies to the front speakers? I currently have the system configured with the R/L fronts as Large with "no sub". I plan to purchase a sub within the next couple of weeks.

I using a pair speakers from an old vintage Pioneer SX-850 that provides adequate bass at low volume settings and rattles the dishes at half volume. I am a newbie to HT as you can tell. My other system is a NAD 3150 :).

I listen to Jazz 65% of the time.

Thanks In Advance!

T2T

T2T

Senior Audioholic
By keeping your front speakers as "large", you are sending all of the bass to them.

Your jazz is really going to come alive when you add the sub in a few weeks, though.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Sounds like you have done everything correctly so far. You set the mains to LARGE and no sub. Which is what you want.

When you add the sub. Turn it on and choose a crossover frequency. Sounds like a lower crossover frequency will work best due to the size of the Pioneers. Something around 60 or 80hz.

M

mrsecman

Audiophyte
There has to be something else because I hear very little bass coming from the fronts. I do noticed a difference in bass by adjusting the sub freq between 80, 100, and 120hz although I have the sub set to none. This leads me to believe the amp is not sending anything lower than 80hz to the fronts.

Believe me, you can hear a HUGE differnce in bass output between my old NAD 3150 and the 8400. You can feel the bass from the NAD or Pioneer. As matter fact my 30.00 pair of Altec computer speakers hits harder than the 8400.

Any suggestions?

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
mrsecman said:
There has to be something else because I hear very little bass coming from the fronts. I do noticed a difference in bass by adjusting the sub freq between 80, 100, and 120hz although I have the sub set to none. This leads me to believe the amp is not sending anything lower than 80hz to the fronts.

Believe me, you can hear a HUGE differnce in bass output between my old NAD 3150 and the 8400. You can feel the bass from the NAD or Pioneer. As matter fact my 30.00 pair of Altec computer speakers hits harder than the 8400.

Any suggestions?
If you are hearing differences when adjusting the internal crossover from 80-100-120, then it's on. It sounds like setting the sub to "off" is not really setting the sub to "off." There are a few other guys here who own the SR8400, but I think they all have subs. MacManm has one. You may want to ask him. Did you go through the manual and set up a few times? I've read mine several times and am still learning things.

M

mrsecman

Audiophyte
Thanks ... I have read the manual several times (not say I fully understand the differences in all of the surround modes :)

How would one configure the 8400 for 2 channel stereo only?

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
Yeah, I agree with buckeye...if you're hearing differences with the frequency changes, then that sound like the sub is still on. You're sure you tried it with it set to off?

I have the 8400 and love it. There's a couple of ways to set it up to 2 channel. Actually, if you're just listening to a music cd, if you hit "auto" on your remote or with the jog shuttle, it should default to 2 channel since that's the signal it's receiving. There's also a selection for "stereo" (both on the remote and with the jog shuttle) which should do it. Messing with all of the other surround modes is just making the receiver take a 2 channel signal and "convert" it to various surround modes. Another way, and probably the quickest (if you're looking to run a quick check) is to click the button on the lower front side of the face (below the volume button) that says "source direct." This should bypass all bass management and will only play 2 channel signals. Keep in mind though, source direct also bypasses tone adjustment, so you can't adjust the bass and treble. Hope this helps.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis