Marantz SR6015 from Accesories 4 Less

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
Arrived a few mins ago, packed in the typical Marantz/Denon fashion.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Nice man! I have a 6012 running a 7.3.4 layout. It’s been great, love it.

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
Bad news guys, since the 1st night of having the 6015 it’ll randomly power itself off and on in a continuous power cycle regardless of wether it’s powered on and in use or not. I’ve tried a microprocessor reset as well as multiple factory resets to no avail. I’m returning it and already ordered an Emotiva XM1 13.2 and a 6 channel power amp. I’ll pair it with the 5 channel Carver I already have in use. It’s a headache but I do like my equipment to..you know…work and what not. I’m not saying A4L has issues with all of their units but I was genuinely surprised by this. It’s really turned me off to buying anything from that site. Luckily I was able to get the $212 refunded I spent on another MultiEQ-X license so at least that worked out. Oh well, I’ve been wanting to go 7.4.6 for a while so here’s my excuse. I’ll make a new thread once the Emo arrives

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
A4L’s tech support’s answer was that it’s being overdriven and I should either add a power amp or buy a more powerful AVR. Clearly this isn’t a thermal protection issue. I could see if this happened watching a movie at reference levels but to have it happen while it’s entirely shut down for the night isn’t logical in terms of it being a thermal issue. In addition I would assume the SR6015 shouldn’t have issues driving two pairs of ML Motion 4 top front and top rear speakers, I mean if that’s the power limit here we have other issues

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Bad news guys, since the 1st night of having the 6015 it’ll randomly power itself off and on in a continuous power cycle regardless of wether it’s powered on and in use or not. I’ve tried a microprocessor reset as well as multiple factory resets to no avail. I’m returning it and already ordered an Emotiva XM1 13.2 and a 6 channel power amp. I’ll pair it with the 5 channel Carver I already have in use. It’s a headache but I do like my equipment to..you know…work and what not. I’m not saying A4L has issues with all of their units but I was genuinely surprised by this. It’s really turned me off to buying anything from that site. Luckily I was able to get the $212 refunded I spent on another MultiEQ-X license so at least that worked out. Oh well, I’ve been wanting to go 7.4.6 for a while so here’s my excuse. I’ll make a new thread once the Emo arrives
That is why I would never buy a refurb AVR or AVP. I would bet when they tested it, it worked fine, and they assumed it was an open box or other return.
Even if it was serviced, other components can get stressed and show up later. I have always thought it highly risky to purchase from Accessories for less.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That is why I would never buy a refurb AVR or AVP. I would bet when they tested it, it worked fine, and they assumed it was an open box or other return.
Even if it was serviced, other components can get stressed and show up later. I have always thought it highly risky to purchase from Accessories for less.
Well I bought from them and am still using the same avr 5 years later. In that time I can only recall seeing problems like this twice, with this being the second one I can recall. Plus it looks like they're taking care of it, no?

Now I certainly haven't seen every thread and don't know how many others there may be, but it's not like there are reports of a rash of lemons coming from AC4L. If there are folks are being pretty quiet about it.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Well I bought from them and am still using the same avr 5 years later. In that time I can only recall seeing problems like this twice, with this being the second one I can recall. Plus it looks like they're taking care of it, no?

Now I certainly haven't seen every thread and don't know how many others there may be, but it's not like there are reports of a rash of lemons coming from AC4L. If there are folks are being pretty quiet about it.
It seems to me we have had excess reports of faulty units. This is bound to happen, as there will be an underlying number of units returned for intermittent faults. No one can find these faults if the unit functions fine on the test bench. You can not find a fault while the unit works fine. The it is shipped to the customer and the fault promptly shows up. If you are lucky to get a perfect open box return then you will have good results most likely. So it all comes down to how much of a gambler you are.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

:D

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
The one thing I wasn’t too impressed with was that after expressing my disappointment at buying a $1500 paper weight and that I would be ordering an Emo Pre/Pro and power amp they immediately tried to sell me on a Marantz AV7706. I worked in sales for years, when I had an upset client who clearly stated they wanted a refund I would do everything possible to get them a refund, not upsell them in the same interaction. They did however accept the return, my Emo was ordered at 0510 this morning and it already shipped out. I can’t by any means complain about their return process but I do believe TLS guy has a very good point, I’m sure they power them on briefly and run a basic function test but it’s still a gamble.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
It seems to me we have had excess reports of faulty units. This is bound to happen, as there will be an underlying number of units returned for intermittent faults. No one can find these faults if the unit functions fine on the test bench. You can not find a fault while the unit works fine. The it is shipped to the customer and the fault promptly shows up. If you are lucky to get a perfect open box return then you will have good results most likely. So it all comes down to how much of a gambler you are.
I agree. Any time you buy almost anything electrical, or electronic, it's a gamble => even Brand New Out of the Box! That's why a reasonable Warranty is should be of concern. It used to be the Warranties for new electrical goods was only 30 days in the US as I remember, and that made them far cheaper than in Canada where 1 year is standard. I wonder if it's still like that on Consumer goods.

Like @Pogre , I have rolled the dice at times with Open Box purchases quite a few times and have zero issues. And I've bought brand new stuff that failed immediately. So it's all a gamble.

In August of 2016 I bought a used Denon AVR-S900W locally from a guy who moved from a house to an apartment. He bought it new from Best Buy just a couple of months before. It failed a couple of days after I got it home and set it up. Thankfully I had gotten the receipt and the seller met me at the Warranty Depot. Denon honored the warranty. It popped a power transistor as I remember. The Tech said it was unusual for him to see that. I was concerned that I'd "bought a lemon" but here it is almost 6 years later and it's works well every day in the Man Cave / Junk Room. (I use it much more than my Denon AVR-X4400H Atmos setup in the Games Room, or my 5.1 Sony STR-DN1050 Receiver in the Family Room. Both of these have worked flawlessly since new.) The moral of the story is you never know. It's all a gamble, so it just boils down to your risk profile.

In life, you just roll the dice, and take your chances. ;)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've bought a number of receivers from them, including my current AV7705. Never had an issue personally with anything from them.

I have only had one fail, which ended up being for one of my customers. They did not have the same model to replace it and they replaced it with the newer model for free.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis