Marantz SACD 30n Network SACD Player Review

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The Marantz SACD 30n is a networking SACD player capable of delivering high-resolution playback performance of SACD and CDs while also serving as a networking streamer with USB DAC function and can even eliminate the need for a preamplifier. In this detailed review, we do a series of objective bench tests and subjective listening tests to determine if it sounds as good as it looks. With a variable line level output, can the SACD 30n eliminate the need for a preamp and just be directly connected to your power amp? We discuss this in the review.

Model30n-hero.jpg

Read: Marantz SACD 30n Network SACD Player Review

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The Marantz SACD 30n is a networking SACD player capable of delivering high-resolution playback performance of SACD and CDs while also serving as a networking streamer with USB DAC function and can even eliminate the need for a preamplifier. In this detailed review, we do a series of objective bench tests and subjective listening tests to determine if it sounds as good as it looks. With a variable line level output, can the SACD 30n eliminate the need for a preamp and just be directly connected to your power amp? We discuss this in the review.

View attachment 60462

Read: Marantz SACD 30n Network SACD Player Review
Great write up, Gene. Thank you!

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Nice dream machine ! Good work as usual, Gene.
Your Latest Trick” is one of my go-to tracks for evaluating anything...fantastic choice !

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Insightful review as usual. The one question I have relates to TIDAL and HEOS. As a Model 40N owner I was surprised to learn that it can't resolve all of the details. Is this a known limitation of HEOS? I find the app to be basic, but it works well enough. I don't believe you are referring to MQA Tidal? I would also be curious it this is the case for other HD formats from sources like Amazon Music HD etc?

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Good review Gene and as an owner of the Marantz 'Ruby' SACD player I find living without XLR outputs to be no big deal. But then my run to my line stage is only a half-meter.

D

DT Audio

Audiophyte
Thanks Gene for the review! Can you elaborate on the Tidal/Heos issue that affected sound quality? Was that MQA?
Thank you!
DT

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
So, 3K doesn’t get you the second unfolding of Tidal’s MQA? Not that it matters as it’s not really lossless hi- res for those who care. Didn’t try Amazon Music Unlimited Ultra HD for 24/192 tracks?

I'd think anybody with a newer Denon/Marantz processor or receiver could save a fortune and simply use the built in HEOS app for streaming Amazon Ultra HD. Yamaha owners can use MusicCast to stream hi-res from Qobuz. Frankly, they kinda’ set the standard for music streaming quality.

Denon got me many years ago when I wanted a CD/DVD-AUDIO/SACD player to match my Denon AVR. Just not falling for that nonsense anymore when far less expensive options exist with no discernible loss of quality. Sony’s UBP-X800M2 is a far less expensive option for those wanting CD, DVD-AUDIO, SACD, and UHD blu-ray disc support when their AVR already has it’s own USB and network streaming capabilities.

A

amco

Audiophyte
As a long term SACD fan, above all to enjoy Music with Surround Sound, I can`t imagine why anyone would invest $1000s in an SACD player that ditches the unique advance of SACDs over CDs, that is Surround Sound !?!?!

By the way, I avoid using the term 5.1 that effectively is a late 90s term for technology that failed consumer acceptance due to cabling and installation complexities, and boredom with helicopters circling in the lounge room. For me, Surround Sound is the exploitation of whatever system configuration from traditional 5.1 or 7.1, through Atmos, through Soundbars and now through to new dsp-based active loudspeakers to produce a Surround Sound that for me can be best described by just 2 words: improved MUSICAL PRESENCE !!!

Stereo at best delivers amazing sound in a sweet spot, that nevertheless feels like standing in the doorway to a great concert hall, while an even half good Surround Sound reproduction generates a feeling of PRESENCE throughout my lounge room. I have neither the time nor patience for Sweet Spots, as I want to enjoy my music wherever with family and friends in my open space lounge/dining area. Hence my lament for a $1000s SACD player ditching Surround Sound, what a tragedy ! BTW; I play all my stereo CDs and streaming using NEO6 surround simulation with a Yamaha AVR via 5.2 speakers, and the results are always very pleasing, again with just so much enhanced PRESENCE over stereo. Goodbye Stereo! PS: Goodbye MQA :D:D:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis