Marantz SA-KI Pearl SACD Player

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Marantz's high end offerings have impressed us in the past. The new line gets away from the unique gold styling that so caught our eye for the more traditional black with blue lights that has been adopted by just about everyone. According to Marantz, they have a "silk-black" finish but that may not be enough to have this gear stand out. The SA-KI Pearl SACD Player is a $3,000 unit that can play stereo SACDs, CD, and CD-R/RW and is compatible with CD-DA, MP3, and WMA files. Of course, the unit is completely overbuilt but is it enough to justify the cost?

Discuss "Marantz SA-KI Pearl SACD Player" here. Read the article.

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
Beautiful for sure! But no multi-channel output for SACD…seriously?

cwall99

cwall99

Full Audioholic
I know. I wonder if you can tell the difference between its sound and the sound from my $170 Oppo. Hmmmmmm.... It'd be cool as heck to see any number of double-blind listening tests along that line.

Tests I'd like to see done:

• Can you tell the difference between an Oppo and a device like this Marantz? (Don't get me wrong, I think Marantz is da bomb, but I just wonder sometimes about where the line of diminishing returns is).
  • Can you hear the difference a $2000 power cord makes?
  • Or a $2000 interconnect?
  • Or super-expensive speaker wire?

Of course, you can also buy their $50 compilation CD. At least when I registered my B&Ws, I got the compilation disk for free.

Here's what I want to see Marantz do, speaking in terms of them being iconoclastic designers: bring back that totally awesome horizontal tuning dial on their receivers. That was cool.

Last edited:
P

PeterWhite

Audioholic
I know. I wonder if you can tell the difference between its sound and the sound from my $170 Oppo. Hmmmmmm.... It'd be cool as heck to see any number of double-blind listening tests along that line.

Tests I'd like to see done:

• Can you tell the difference between an Oppo and a device like this Marantz? (Don't get me wrong, I think Marantz is da bomb, but I just wonder sometimes about where the line of diminishing returns is).
  • Can you hear the difference a $2000 power cord makes?
  • Or a $2000 interconnect?
  • Or super-expensive speaker wire?

Of course, you can also buy their $50 compilation CD. At least when I registered my B&Ws, I got the compilation disk for free.

Here's what I want to see Marantz do, speaking in terms of them being iconoclastic designers: bring back that totally awesome horizontal tuning dial on their receivers. That was cool.
The dial was very cool. But the real killer feature was the oscilloscope on the high end tuners like the 10b and the 20. I always wanted one of those. Trouble was, by the time I could afford them, FM was so bad compared to CDs, and the programming (at least around Boston) was just awful, so what was the point?

P

PeterWhite

Audioholic
I just read the review. What a silly device! It plays SACD, but not DVD-A or DVD-V. No HDMI outputs. And only left & right analog outputs.

I guess you could show it to your friends, but if so, you'd want to hope they don't ask any probing questions about it. ;-)

J

junchoon

Enthusiast
how would this new Marantz SA-KI Pearl compare with the Sony SCD-XA5400ES, sound wise? since the Pearl have no XLR or MCH via HDMI like the Sony, please compare sound quality via RCAs.

i know the Pearl has MP3, CD-DA, and wav support while the Sony has DSD support.

imho, usd$3k is no small change but certainly not BIG buck for the Marantz, but the Sony at usd$1.5k seems to be a better deal.

cheers,
wps

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I had an a/v dealer tell me the other day that the Yamaha RX-V3800 sounds a lot better with the blue power cord, I asked how much it was and he said he'd make me a deal at $100 or something. I laughed on inside and said "really?, gotta go to work now".

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Help me out here. I checked my calendar and I see that today is not April 1st. I also checked the year on my calendar while I was there and it was not 1999. If today were April 1st, I could understand the article. If the year were 1999, I could understand the product. This would be state of the art in 1999.

Seriously, a few common audio formats and stereo SACD only??? For $3K??? DVD/SACD players for a few hundred bucks have more capabilities than this and I'm sure offer equivalent sound quality.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
That is the sort of vanity product with NO merit, catering to fools with more money than sense.

The only benefit of SACD over CD is the ability to handle more than two channels. An opportunity this unit seems to pass up for tweaks of no proven benefit.

This is just the sort of unit that needs to sit on the shelves, so that Marantz and there ilk, can go to work and really develop innovative products in the customer's interest.

tbergman

tbergman

Full Audioholic
I do not think I am the target audience when this runs twice as much as I bought my car for, 5 years ago...

T

Tod

Audioholic
Preface: I actually have no opinion, have never really bothered to directly compare a specific CD recording to SACD (multi or 2-channel) in any sort of critical (even sighted) listening tests, and am just playing devil's advocate. Seems though that people are jumping all over a product for no reason.

1. Why not multi-channel? Um, most SACD players out there (especially those catering to rich audiophiles, who seem to be the main ones even worrying about SACD any more) are only 2 channels. Most rich audiophiles only use 2 channels.

2. Why $3000? Related to above. Don't freak out over a $3k player from Marantz. Go to Audiogon and freak out over those ones. And note that they are almost all 2-channel as well. Think how much the players would cost with an additional 3.1 channels!

3. Why only SACD instead of universal? I've personally had some universal players, and I would want none of them for a 2-channel, music-only system. Built for primarily video, the other functions can be annoying. DVD audio in particular is bad, since it has menu displays that are way easier with a monitor or something. Skip it and give me a simple music player. I am about to get the Oppo for the HT/multi room, but have 2 other universal players sitting in the closet rather than use them in my 2-channel room.

4. Why SACD instead of blu-ray (from review)? Catalog titles. It will be years until blu-ray is a viable option for building an actual library with things like classical music. There are a few tokens out there, mostly either operas or off-brand orchestral recordings. I have ~1000 CDs, and haven't the slightest fear that I wasted all my money on them because now I'll just want the blu-ray version. It will never freaking exist. SACD is what you've got if you want an upgrade (either resolution if it matters to you, or multi-channel sound if you buy another player).

I wouldn't buy this particular player. I would however buy a nice SACD player for somewhat less money. NAD seems to make a good one, and it's 5.1 in case I feel like moving it between systems. The Marantz isn't the one for me. But that doesn't mean it shouldn't exist, particularly as a relatively conservative version within a product category when compared to almost any other dedicated SACD player. In fact, it's well in line with the price and number of channels of Marantz's previous top-of-the-line SACD players. Diminishing returns? Most likely. Returns period? Well, maybe...

A

allargon

Audioholic General
My issue with it is that it plays mp3 rather than Blu-Ray, DVD, DVD-A or HD DVD. Seriously, someone buying a $3k SACD player is interested in playing mp3's on their high fidelity system? I don't think so! :rolleyes:

tbergman

tbergman

Full Audioholic
The more I think about it, the more I wish I had the idea, I'm sure it is a very high quality piece of equipment; better than players at a fraction of the price? Probably not, but if people want to buy it, good for them, but more so, good for Marantz. The profit margin on this has to be huge, they're just making money off people with huge amounts of disposible income and why not?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I thought SACD & DVD-A are becoming extinct with the gradual increased interest in blu-ray concerts?:D

Have you guys seen Dave Mathews blu-ray & Celine Dion BD in TrueHD?

What about Sheryl Crow BD and Heart BD in DTS-HD MA?

AWESOME!:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The more I think about it, the more I wish I had the idea, I'm sure it is a very high quality piece of equipment; better than players at a fraction of the price? Probably not, but if people want to buy it, good for them, but more so, good for Marantz. The profit margin on this has to be huge, they're just making money off people with huge amounts of disposible income and why not?
Yeah, but it's only $3K.

If I had disposable income and wanted to help the economy, I would get a $20K Krell or Mark Levinson.:D

P

PeterWhite

Audioholic
I thought SACD & DVD-A are becoming extinct with the gradual increased interest in blu-ray concerts?:D
Shouldn't matter. Plenty of people have those discs in their collections. It can't add very much to the cost of a player to include compatibility with SACD and DVD-A.

C

ChunkyDark

Full Audioholic
I only spent 3k on my entire 7.1 HT system (including htpc)!

Personally I'd rather just get the new Oppo and donate the other 2.5k to the local food pantry.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis