Marantz SA 14S1 Traverse unit same as M30

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
I looked up the replacement traverse unit for the SA 14S1 and it says it is no longer available. The M30 which is still available has the same item number #31901000500AD. That should be the same thing and is available. I would think they would change the number if it was different. Anybody have an insight on this?

Thanks,

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not sure what a traverse unit means. The SA14S1 is a cd/sacd player and the M30 is an integrated amp from what I see, tho. Do you mean the SACD 30N? Looks like the 30N has updated features (network, etc). Maybe since it's a unique item in their lineup they kept the same item number?

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
Yes. I did mean the SACD 30N. A transverse unit is the replacement laser with the chassis around it. I'll try to call Marantz since they have been pretty helpful. I just want a backup so it can last. I had a Denon DVD3910 since 2008 and just replaced the laser once. That was a good one. Thanks

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
Yes. I did mean the SACD 30N. A transverse unit is the replacement laser with the chassis around it. I'll try to call Marantz since they have been pretty helpful. I just want a backup so it can last. I had a Denon DVD3910 since 2008 and just replaced the laser once. That was a good one. Thanks

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Ask them whether it requires a special instal code. When I had this problem on a Panasonic player I did it correctly, but it would not work. I found out you had to enter a code. At first Panasonic would not send me a code, as I was not an authorized service center. However Panasonic don't have any authorized service centers. I did get a code out of them in the end, and it worked.

In this day and age servicing is not as simple as it may seem.

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
Thanks for the info. I will ask if the code is needed. I really do like the sacd player. The first two Analogue Productions Steely Dan sacd's sound really good. I can' wait for The Royal Scam to be released.

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
The phone in said they do not know about service parts.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The phone in said they do not know about service parts.
Marantz parts are handled by Encompass. Good luck with them. They are an absolute PITA do deal with and not really competent. In fact I would say they have no clue.

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
I'm sure you are right. I did look at both pictures of each and they look exactly the same. Might be worth a try since they are OEM. I bought a Chinese laser for my Denon and it did not last too long. I will eventually figure this out. I don't give up easy. And I like the SA 14S. Pretty good player.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I'm sure you are right. I did look at both pictures of each and they look exactly the same. Might be worth a try since they are OEM. I bought a Chinese laser for my Denon and it did not last too long. I will eventually figure this out. I don't give up easy. And I like the SA 14S. Pretty good player.
I think you are worrying too much. I have only had one transport fail and that was that Panasonic BD player. I have six players hooked up right now, and a couple are pretty old, and working fine.

What I am just starting to run into is some old CDs starting not to play properly. CDs don't seem as durable as LPs. The CDs look absolutely fine to the eye. But obviously the silver layer must be deteriorating.

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
I think you are right about worrying too much. I had an old Mobil Fidelity gold cd of the Moody Blues Days of the Future Past fail. Good thing I downloaded it to my computer. I burned a blank cd and it sounded great.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis