O

outsider

Audioholic
looking at getting a replacement for my aging Yamaha receiver....something more modern.
so far I have come down to 2:
Marantz 7001 and Rotel 1057.

the speakers are B&W CM-6, CM-C, CM-2

based on the speaker being B&W I am leaning more towards the Rotel, but I know the Marantz can sound good, too.

does anyone have experience with these 2 receivers?
thoughts?
the receiver would be used more for watching movies and TV, but at the same time I more interested in their musical performance.

some other considerations include Pioneer Elite and Denon, but I've never really cared much for the Denon sound, and the last time I listened to a Pioneer receiver I was very unimpressed....

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
just know that there is a rotel 1058 model about to be released ... though I don't know when.

F

FguerraG

Junior Audioholic
just know that there is a rotel 1058 model about to be released ... though I don't know when.

Correct it's suposed to be released sometime this year and it will include some sort of HD scaler but it's also said that it will cost around $2000.00

looking at the Marantz specs for that price looks like a great option.

also don't let the marketing get to you although Rotel + B&W look beautiful together there are lot of brands out there that can make your B&W's sing.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I was in the same boat just a few weeks ago. I did look at Rotel and Marantz among a million others. I decided to go with the Emotiva LMC-1/LPA-1 as their stuff has been getting rave reviews and this combo for $808 with free shipping. Plus, the amp weighs over 60 lbs! I'm still waiting on the preamp so don't have any personal experience with the Emotiva yet, but it's still worth a look for low-cost separates.

Between Marantz and Rotel, I'd probably lean Rotel as I feel their power is cleaner and bit more neutral. You can always buy both and return the loser. I do have a question. Why aren't you considering separates?

D

dotVIBE

Junior Audioholic
And what happens when You throw NAD into the Rotel/Marantz sweepstakes? I ask because I'll be building my old man a system soon (I don't have that kinda money unfortunately ;)).

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
NAD's are on the warm side. Given those three, I'd probably go with Rotel, NAD, Marantz in that order. Try and find a local place where you and your old man can hear these.

D

dotVIBE

Junior Audioholic
You know, we'll get the speakers all set up nicely, and then have the audio guy come in and play all three those for us inside the new house. That kinda money, I want to get the right thing. BTW, it is big money down here in africa land. About double what you guys pay stateside.

I sure like the look of Rotel's 10 series though. But the NAD master series also looks seriously sweet!

O

outsider

Audioholic
You can always buy both and return the loser. I do have a question. Why aren't you considering separates?
I have considered separates, but at this point they aren't in the budget. Originally I had planned to go with Rotel because of their separates, but when you add up the processor ($1699), amp ($999), and tuner ($499) the retail cost comes out to $3197. Granted, if I walk into my local shop and ask for one of each they will probably give me a package deal, but it's not going to be a significant savings.
So, basically, at this point in time I can afford a nice receiver and I have limited myself to what the local dealer has available. Fortunately they sell some nice products from Rotel, Marantz, Denon, Pioneer Elite, and the very unaffordable Krell.

C

cfrizz

Senior Audioholic
Out of all those choices, I would go with Rotel. Well made product that lasts for years. With an emphasis on music vs HT.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Out of all those choices, I would go with Rotel. Well made product that lasts for years. With an emphasis on music vs HT.
The Marantz corporate motto is "Because music matters..." :cool:

Seriously, both will give you excellent results. IMO, the Rotels are a bit more sturdy feeling and have similar feature levels so I would say it is like choosing between a Porsche and a Ferrari. They will both do the job well but in slightly different ways. I have heard B&Ws on both Marantz and Rotel and they sound great with either. Me personally, I'd probably go with the Rotel. I got a really good deal on my 8300, otherwise I would probably have a Rotel right now.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
The Emotiva LMC-1/LPA-1 separates sell for under $1K. Audioholics did a review of it and nothing but good things to say. Probably a good alternative to a receiver. My combo arrives today :D

D

dotVIBE

Junior Audioholic
Dang. I sure wish they had an emotiva dealer in South Africa.

roidefromage

roidefromage

Enthusiast
How about Emotiva?

I just replaced my beloved Marantz SR800 receiver with the Emotive LPA-1 and LMC-1. The power and clarity difference is amazing in the digital realm. The analog inputs are a bit trickier, but overall, to go to separates for such a cheap price is such a find. It was worth it to me to invest my research time.

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
MARANTZ would be my choice with your speakers. B&W's are power hungry.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I have considered separates, but at this point they aren't in the budget. Originally I had planned to go with Rotel because of their separates, but when you add up the processor ($1699), amp ($999), and tuner ($499) the retail cost comes out to $3197.
From the budget, it looks like you're looking at the Rotel RMB-1075. I paid $900 for mine from an authorized dealer just walking in off the street. Add the Integra DTC-9.8 processor for $1600 (or less) and save the $500 on a tuner since the Integra includes the tuner. For details on this processors audio and video capability, see the AH review thread, but it blows away the Rotel pre/pros. You could be out the door with the amp and the latest, greatest pre/pro for under $2500.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
looking at getting a replacement for my aging Yamaha receiver....something more modern.
so far I have come down to 2:
Marantz 7001 and Rotel 1057.

the speakers are B&W CM-6, CM-C, CM-2

based on the speaker being B&W I am leaning more towards the Rotel, but I know the Marantz can sound good, too.

does anyone have experience with these 2 receivers?
thoughts?
the receiver would be used more for watching movies and TV, but at the same time I more interested in their musical performance.

some other considerations include Pioneer Elite and Denon, but I've never really cared much for the Denon sound, and the last time I listened to a Pioneer receiver I was very unimpressed....

One or two post up, DBooger and posters have some shut down issues with Marantz. An indication to buy another brand?

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I just replaced my beloved Marantz SR800 receiver with the Emotive LPA-1 and LMC-1. The power and clarity difference is amazing in the digital realm. The analog inputs are a bit trickier, but overall, to go to separates for such a cheap price is such a find. It was worth it to me to invest my research time.
After spending all weekend listening to the Emotiva, I can second the above. I've done quite a bit of searching and auditioning and no receiver comes close to the Emotiva combo in the sub $1k category. The LPA-1 puts out more than enough power. I was deciding between Magnepans and Mordaunt-Short for speakers; both are power-hungry speakers and need a 4-Ohm amp. The LPA-1 pushed both without breaking a sweat and with plenty of headroom. The LMC-1 is amazingly simple which I really like. The stock remote stinks, but who uses stock remotes :D My only complaint is the LPA-1 is so dang heavy that it was a bear to get onto the shelf.

If I had to choose between a Rotel or Marantz receiver, I'd probably go Rotel. The build quality is just better on their stuff IMO. Although, I decided to stick with the Mordaunt-Short speakers which is a division of Marantz if I'm not mistaken and they're darn good speakers.

O

outsider

Audioholic
well, I made it down to my dealer yesterday for some auditioning.
they no longer sell Marantz due to potential quality issues and are instead carrying Pioneer Elite.

so, I compared the Elite VSX-84TXSi vs the 2 Rotel receivers....and I much preferred the Elite. It just sounded better; much more musical. The Rotel units sounded cool without much midrange while the Elites had nice midrange without being too much. Overall, they were the nicer sounding receivers.

Now I just have to wait for the 92 or 94 to come in so they will have a unit to sell me (the 84 on display had been spoken for)

Also, the Elite DVD players seemed to be top-notch. Pioneer is doing a great job at the moment....be sure to give them a look.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Pioneer more musical? LOL. Sorry, but I actually laughed when I read that, especially compared to the likes of Rotel. Marantz has had quality issues early on in their product releases recently, but so does every company.

Pioneer also settled a class action suit against them for the major quality issues with their disc players...I would never buy a player from them.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis