Marantz Network Audio Players?

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
These look like versatility galore. Any here have any experience with any of these concepts? Seems like a great way to get hi-res from computer, stream or NAS to home theatre's audio output.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I looked into those (Pioneer, Denon, Marantz, Cambridge Audio etc.) and decided there was nothing to gain and they seemed understandably overpriced. If you already own a mid range to high end AVR or prepro you already have all the functions except for the Asynchronous USB DAC. I ended up getting a few USB DAC including the Oppo HA-1 that cost more but at least they don't give me the feeling of just having an extension of my prepro.

selden

selden

Audioholic
Standalone audio streamers are interim solutions for those who do not yet have AVRs or pre/pros with that functionality already built into them. I'd consider them the modern equivalent of the separate AM/FM tuners which used to be readily available for hifi systems a few decades ago. Unfortunately, I suspect their viability will be even shorter. One of their omissions is that they do not support video streaming. Similar audio (and static image) streaming functionality is provided in most current AVRs and pre/pro models, including those available from D+M.

Alternatively, if your current receiver has HDMI inputs, one can add extensive streaming support for both audio and video by getting a Blu-ray player like those from Sony or Oppo. Sony's streaming support is somewhat more versatile than what's available in other BDPs. Other solutions are available in the form of AppleTV, Roku, and other HDMI-connected streamers.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I have a Bluesound Vault and of course only use it for streaming music. I absolutely love it because I run it off my Android tablet and don't need to have my PC on to enjoy music. It's on my Ethernet home network, and my DSL wireless/Ethernet router is always on, though it really doesn't even need that because it's streaming from it's own hard drive and out through RCA outputs to the receiver. I got it for $100 more than a new Bluesound Node, but worth it because I already used it for ripping a couple of CD's that fell in the door at Christmas. Didn't even have to fire up the PC for that. A Node, would.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis