Marantz NA6005 vs. NA7004

J

Jimmy Sees

Audiophyte
Has anyone in this forum actually used the Marantz NA (digital players) I have the opportunity to purchase either the NA6005 or the NA7004 for the same price and can use some feedback.
I also auditioned the NA8005 but that's twice as much in price in my neck of the woods
Jim

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Haven't used either, but at a glance they're both using the same DAC (Cirrus CS4398), HDAM circuitry, etc., so I wouldn't expect much practical difference in most respects. However, the NA6005 has built in WiFi and Bluetooth that gives it a leg up for convenience.

J

Jimmy Sees

Audiophyte
Thanks Steve, I thought the NA7004 may have had a leg up on the 6005 on the internals, but Wifi & BT do come in handy

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm entertaining the NA8005. I did not think the NA7004 was still available; and, even though the NA6005 has wireless/Bluetooth/FM features it does not have digital inputs as found on the 8005. Also, do you really need wireless since you have AirPlay and will likely connect unit to LAN.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I know the OP is asking for feedback on the Marantz unit but I can't resist recommending a less costly (e.g. Cambridge Audio DAC magic plus), or a touch more expensive but better DACs such as the HA-1. My logic is that for network (internal or external) streaming, FM, etc., most AVRs as well as many choices of low cost add on devices can do it. As sterling shoote mentioned, there is Airplay too. So if one is serious about using external DACs, that typically make little audible difference (compared to mid/high end AVRs) to those without golden or highly discerning ears, should consider avoiding the one box solution such as the Marantz NA models and similar Pioneer models.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Thanks to PENG for mentioning AirPlay. With the purchase of an Airport
Express for about $150; thereafter, connecting it to a wireless router/modem and to receiver or pre/pro, you can enjoy iTunes and music library wirelessly from laptop to HT using AirPlay. This does pretty much everything that the NA 6005 does, up or down sampling everything to 16/44.1. And you can operate from your iPad or IPhone with Apple Remote App or iTunes App on those devices. It appears thus that the only advantage for the NA 6005 would be for its DAC, which can deliver hi-res audio. Thing is, can anybody distinguish 24/192 from 16/44.1? At any rate, like you, I am still thinking about the Marantz products; but, the more I think about it the more I think about just upgrading to an OPPO 105D. With it I will truly be able to enjoy what I can not enjoy now, namely multi-channel SACDs, as well as have a nice usb DAC.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis