Marantz Introduces New Plasma Displays

Marantz America introduced three new plasma display monitors at CEDIA. The three new monitors, scheduled for delivery in fall 2004, include two HD models: the 50-inch PD5050D (SRP: $10,999) and the 42-inch PD4250D (SRP: $8,999), as well as the high-value enhanced definition 42-inch PD4230D (SRP: $5,999). All three models feature an elegant black bezel design, a new user-friendly on-screen display, remote controls with discrete input selection and HDMI connectivity. I took a close look at the EDTV resolution PD4230D and was truly impressed with its picture quality. For a non-HD display, that monitor was clear and crisp, obviously possessing excellent scaling capabilities.

See the Full Report

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
Priced a tad on the high side for a display that needs mounts/stands, tuner and audio......compared to other products on the market anyway. Their site doesn't give any specs on contrast ratio and the like...just kind of curious who is manufacturing their glass. The nameplate may sell some units but at their price point they're going to have to have a superior PQ to Fujitsu etal.

Mort

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Should be headlined:

Marantz repackages another companies plasma display and adds several thousand dollars to the price tag so you to can be screwed - but can happily say "I bought a Marantz product!"

After years of seeing less than thorough engineering from Marantz all the way through their products I am pretty much fed up with them. They have a long way to go before I will believe that their engineering is even remotely close to what Yamaha has accomplished in the last few years.

42" for 9 grand??? Come on, the 40" NEC LCD panels are about half that! No burn in worries and about 10 years of operation... Marantz just doesn't make sense to me.

S

Smaug

Marantz = NEC

Hey,

I remember reading somewhere that NEC makes the Marantz LCD screens, don't know about their Plasma screens though.

And while NEC make some of the best screens out there, I can't see why you'd spend $9k on a plasma screen.

If you cruise through lots of gear that's out there, you'll find a limited number of manufacturers - it's not surprising in the least when companies take the glass from Matsu****a (Panasonic), Fujitsu/Hitachi, NEC (Pioneer), Samsung, or LG and build a device around the panel.

You'd be surprised (or not) at the big name companies that don't make their own projectors, DVD players, etc...

To me it's what they do with it after they get the glass that counts (whose boards and chipsets they use, or do they make their own). And price is always an issue, sure, but we have to examine to see if it's justified. Anyone can get a cheaper product - I don't think that's the point.

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
I agree on circuitry being probably the major factor in producing good PQ on any given glass. Buying a product that is cheaper and better is the real point. At their price point, Marantz is up against some pretty well regarded displays that have a track record of reliability and PQ with a lower MSRP. I, for one, am looking forward to viewing their product.

Mort

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis