Marantz CD63 KI-Sig Skipping

A

aladdinsane

Audiophyte
Hi,

I've got a Marantz CD63 KI-Sig CD player and it is skipping randomly on every cd I play in it.

It's not going crazy skipping but it is skipping for like 1 second at a time maybe every 2 to 3 tracks on average.

I've tried a CD Lens cleaner and cleaning the actual CD's but it's not made any difference.

Has anyone got any suggestions please? Would a service and general clean up solve this? How much is this likely to cost in the UK?

Many Thanks

Keith

A

aladdinsane

Audiophyte
If I can't get this CD player working properly again how do you think a Marantz CD 7300 would compare?

I've heard good things about it. It retails for less than the CD63 KI-Sig did £350 versus £500 but the CD63 KI-Sig is a much older product.

W

Wyngdh

Audioholic Intern
It may need a good service. When I've had problems with mine, I've used "Dust-off" (compressed air in a can), very gently. It helped. The CD63MKII tends to be a very sensitive player - I recently added the Denon 2910 universal player as I wanted to venture into the world of DVD-A and SACD. I found this player to be quite robust - I had a disk that persistently skipped on the Marantz. It doesn't on the Denon. But I still believe the CD63KMII to be a superior player (old technology or not).

A

aladdinsane

Audiophyte
Hi,

Thanks for your help Wyngdh.

I bought the CD63 KI-Sig 2nd hand on Ebay so I wasn't wanting to spend anymore money on it than I already have done. Not knowing the history of the player I could have spent quite a lot of money to get it fixed.

I could have maybe fixed it with the "Dust-Off" method but I wasn't confident that if I did this the fault would be gone for any great length of time. It could of been OK for a few weeks or months then reappeared.

So in the end I contacted the seller and we have agreed a refund.

Today I purchased a Marantz CD7300 ex-display model from a shop with a 3 year warranty. Being ex-display they sold me the unit 1/2 price, so I'm happy.

I had a quick compare of the 2 CD players and it is VERY hard to spot any difference between them. So hard im not sure if one actually exists!

Incase it's not had much use yet I've left it playing a CD on Repeat to "run-in" whilst im not using it.

I must say it's was a shame the KI-Sig skipped as I was extremely pleased with the sound of this partnered with my Arcam Delta 290 Amp and Rogers LS7t speakers. Thankfully the signs look good that the CD7300 will be a worthy replacement.

Keith

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis