B

BWguy

Junior Audioholic
Has anyone had the opportunity to listen to this prepro? Initial comments seem to indicate it is much improved over the 8801 for 2 channel music. It has also been been mentioned that perhaps a higher end amp (Classe, Krell or Mcintosh) is needed in order to hear the improvements (compared to something like the Rotel 1095). Any opinions on the sound quality of the 8802 and if a higher end amp is necessary?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Their marketing will tell you similar so called "much improved" when they launch the 8803 in 2016/17. Just re-read their marketing documents about the 8801 you will know what I am talking about. There is really no end to this. I guess whether you will hear the difference depends mostly on the individual, that is youself. I have not heard the 8802 and there is no point to do it because it will be next impossible for me to compare it to my 8801 unless I have them both side by side and spend a full day to set them up for a fair comparison. That is not going to happen for many reasons.

If someone reports hearing a difference without spending time to do a fair and true side by side, then I would ignore it because it would have no credibility. Subjectively, over long term listening, I do feel my HA-1 preamp sounds better than the 8801, though any difference I think I heard is so subtle I won't pass even side by side sighted test. So likewise, it is possible that a higher end amp could reveal the difference between the 8802 and 8801, though theoretically unlikely due to other limitations, such as human's ability.

YMMV for sure.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It's definitely more fun to have a higher end pre-pro, amp, and speakers.

But opinions will vary.

I don't think the most expensive amps will improve anything, but you probably don't want something cheap if you can easily help it.

I see nothing wrong with Rotel, Adcom, Sunfire, Parasound Classic, and Outlaw (especially the ones made by ATI) and I don't think Krell, McIntosh, or Classe will improve the sound any.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I really don't know how much of SQ improvement I expect by upgrading to the AV8802, but I am going to upgrade myself

I would keep my DHC 80.3 Integra Pre/Pro, but building my room from scratch so want to try the latest codecs and I plan on going full 4K projector. AV8802 is going to be my next purchase as soon as HDCP 2.2 is fully integrated. DTS:X is a firmware upgrade so not worried about that.

witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic
I am looking at the Onkyo 5530 vs Marantz 8802. It is about half the price but no Audyssey.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I am looking at the Onkyo 5530 vs Marantz 8802. It is about half the price but no Audyssey.
I would not spend $2500 on an Onkyo, especially since it doesn't have Audyssey XT32 that an $800 Denon X4000 has.

Last edited:
Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I am sure there are many things to compare/contrast between the two, but implementation of HDCP 2.2 on Onkyo is 12Mb/s vs the 18 it should be at full bandwidth HDCP 2.2. Do not expect 4:4:4 color with the Onkyo. On a side note, even today's TVs and projectors does not do 4:4:4 color yet.

witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic
I have not heard either unit so I appreciate the advice. I may just have to sit on the sidelines until 2016 and see how these new formats play out. I have a pretty good local dealer who swears by Onkyo over Marantz but I think that is more got HT than for music.

I am using a Sunfire TG3 in my HT and really like the sound and the Sonic Holography feature for 2 channel stereo.
I use a Parasound Z Preamp in my office system and it is crazy good for how small and inexpensive it is.
Maybe I just get an Oppo 105 for now and play it through the pre-outs in my Sunfire as it has better dacs and video processing.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Has anyone had the opportunity to listen to this prepro? Initial comments seem to indicate it is much improved over the 8801 for 2 channel music. It has also been been mentioned that perhaps a higher end amp (Classe, Krell or Mcintosh) is needed in order to hear the improvements (compared to something like the Rotel 1095). Any opinions on the sound quality of the 8802 and if a higher end amp is necessary?
I would leave Krell out of your high end amp choices, they are not what people think they are. High priced "Yes". Can't commend on Classe or Mcintosh listened to them but never owned one. There are better amps out there then Krell. Best amps I've ever owned where http://www.powermodules.com/

Although these http://www.powermodules.com/mb-500.html are discontinued I can get a great price on them so I am thinking about picking up a couple of them.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would leave Krell out of your high end amp choices, they are not what people think they are. High priced "Yes". Can't commend on Classe or Mcintosh listened to them but never owned one. There are better amps out there then Krell. Best amps I've ever owned where http://www.powermodules.com/

Although these http://www.powermodules.com/mb-500.html are discontinued I can get a great price on them so I am thinking about picking up a couple of them.
Better amps in terms of sound quality or build quality or just in terms of more powerful?

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Was going to wait to pick it up, but got too good a deal to pass up. Will give my impressions once I have played around with it. Only have my poor man Halo A51 A21 amps, but I am sure they will do ok :) excited to have a new toy. I am sure I won't be quite as excited to send it back for the HDCP 2.2 hardware upgrade.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai

As soon as I get off my butt and take it out of my Trunk :) I hate having reconnect all my gear, but love it once it's set up.

:)

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Hi Cos, what was your assessment of the 8802 compared to the 8801?
I didn't have the 8801, I had the Integra 80.3, used the AV7005 a long time ago. My overall impression is that there is definitely a perceived difference (in my opinion in SQ in 2 channel). I absolutely love the AV8802, easy setup, sounds good, all the options I could want. Hope to get Atmos set up right after I get done sending it back to Marantz for the HDCP 2.2 upgrade (starts june 1st) the AV8802A units are already hitting retailers with the HDCP built in by the way

elwaylite

elwaylite

Audioholic
I love my 7702, vs the 4520ci SVR I was using, for several reasons, but I can't say I spent $2000 for a SQ improvement. That being said, SQ improvement wasn't my intention for buying it.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Very nice review, but where do you stop even if you believe the reviewer did hear a real improvement in 2 ch music vs his 8801? I mean, one can be almost certain that when the 8803 is out in two years, he will report similar improvements. For me, if I were interested in the newest features right now, I would definitely go back to AVR and use it for everything but serious 2 ch music listening.

Congrats to Cos, you now own a prepro that is second to none, probably remain so for at least two more years!:D

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Very nice review, but where do you stop even if you believe the reviewer did hear a real improvement in 2 ch music vs his 8801? I mean, one can be almost certain that when the 8803 is out in two years, he will report similar improvements. For me, if I were interested in the newest features right now, I would definitely go back to AVR and use it for everything but serious 2 ch music listening.

Congrats to Cos, you now own a prepro that is second to none, probably remain so for at least two more years!:D
/Agreed, well at least for 6 more months who knows what's on the pipeline.

At the end of the day I got a good deal on the unit, I am happy with it, and I am very careful to note the perceived vs actual difference between the 80.3 and 8802 on 2 channel
There was no scientific testing involved.
8802 vs 8801 I don't have a clue on performance differences, but it has to be a point of diminishing returns where you can not hear the difference. I take the reviewers comments on the improvement with a grain of salt and a spoonful of skepticism. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis