Marantz 7706 HDMI port inop

S

slim4511

Audiophyte
My 7706 stopped processing my Satellite TV signal. I traced it back to a bad HDMI port #1 (cab/sat). I’m now running the signal through HDMI2 and it’s working fine. Question: is there any downside to using it this way, other than having one less available port for use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Any hdmi port will work. Have you tried a factory/microprocessor reset to see if that might resolve it?

S

slim4511

Audiophyte
I did not try a reset since using a different port worked for me. May be worth a try. Thanks

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I did not try a reset since using a different port worked for me. May be worth a try. Thanks

Just keep in mind it will wipe out your settings/Audyssey setup.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
My 7706 stopped processing my Satellite TV signal. I traced it back to a bad HDMI port #1 (cab/sat). I’m now running the signal through HDMI2 and it’s working fine. Question: is there any downside to using it this way, other than having one less available port for use?

That is new and expensive unit. An HDMI port going out on a unit this new is a bad omen, unless you were abusing that port plugging and unplugging it repeatedly, or had a lot of cable stress on it. This could well be a sign of this HDMI board heading for failure.

If you don't think you had a hand in this, I would get hold of Marantz and ask them to replace this board under warranty. You should not be having HDMI board problems on a unit this new. If this were my unit, I would be raising a ruckus until I got satisfaction, and got the problem corrected.

S

slim4511

Audiophyte
I’m confident I didn’t have a hand in its issues. The unit sits in a cabinet with no movement of cables or otherwise. It’s about 1.5 years old. Need to determine if it’s still under warranty.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Even if under warranty, they'll generally ask you to try a reset so might want to just get that out of the way....

ps alternate sources/devices might be an idea too

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I’m confident I didn’t have a hand in its issues. The unit sits in a cabinet with no movement of cables or otherwise. It’s about 1.5 years old. Need to determine if it’s still under warranty.

In that case do a hard reset. If that does not cure it, then you need to push Marantz to fix it. We have had these posts over the years. First it is one port and then another and in time the whole HDMI board is down. So I would not let this slide, particularly with a unit of that value.

The only other issue I raise, since it is in a cabinet, are you sure you have the required spacing for ventilation?

S

slim4511

Audiophyte
Yeah I have an AC Infinity fan set at 90’ and it never goes on. It’s a cool running pre/pro.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Yeah I have an AC Infinity fan set at 90’ and it never goes on. It’s a cool running pre/pro.

Yes, my 7705 runs very cool as well.

If the reset does not fix it, then I think that HDMI board should be replaced. Push Marantz to do it.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

I agree with TLSG that you should push Marantz to replace the board, unless it miraculously cures itself between now and then, or after a factory reset. The 7706 should still be within the 3-5 years warranty (depending on your country I assume) as it hasn't been that old from launch date.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

If it sits in a cabinet, even if you have at 6 to 8 inches clearance all around, it will not run very cool. I have had quite a few Marantz and Denon (its cousins) units in the past and almost use them with external fans. Temperature on the outside of the case is not the same as inside where that hot HDMI board is sitting and you cannot rely on the temperature of the spot where the AC Infinity fan is mounted. The right way to do it is to have the fan on full time as long as the unit is powered on, except for standby.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
As long as it's under 3 years (US) and purchased from an Authorized Marantz Dealer, you should be fine. If it were me, and the reset doesn't fix it, my next call would be to them to replace the board.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

If it sits in a cabinet, even if you have at 6 to 8 inches clearance all around, it will not run very cool. I have had quite a few Marantz and Denon (its cousins) units in the past and almost use them with external fans. Temperature on the outside of the case is not the same as inside where that hot HDMI board is sitting and you cannot rely on the temperature of the spot where the AC Infinity fan is mounted. The right way to do it is to have the fan on full time as long as the unit is powered on, except for standby.
Not sure a fan is required. My 7705 runs very cool, and is barely warm to the touch. There are no major sources of heat.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis