Manual Pull-Down Screen

WorldLeader

WorldLeader

Full Audioholic
Hey follow Audioholics!

I am in a situation where I need a nice screen but can't really accommodate a fixed screen solution. I know that they are all supposed to be better, and you should avoid manual pull-down screens, but I really don't have a choice.

I am planning on buying the Optoma HD70 PJ and ceiling mounting it from about 13-14 feet from the wall with the screen. I'm probably looking at a 120" screen, given the throw distances and zoom, etc.

What are some good brands that have manual pull-down screens? I think that the combination of some ambient light during the day and a big screen will warrant a grey screen. I have browsed through Da-lite's offerings and see some that might work, but what other brands should I consider.

I want to keep the price on par with the quality of the PJ, so no $800 screens with a $900 PJ :p

Thanks!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
At that screen size, I would avoid a grey screen. That is, you are going to have brightness issues in a non-theater black environment as it is and a screen that is retro reflective may be a good choice, but may still cause some headaches with quality from the viewing position. 120" diagonal is about a 13-14 foot viewing distance - minimum.

Depending on ambient light... I might avoid grey or go down in size if I was going to use grey. Otherwise, I would shoot for a positive gain 1.3/1.4 gain screen to raise the brightness levels for that size screen.

Overall though, with a manual screen you often have very limited choices in the budget world and may find only 1.0 gain matte white screens in the $100 range and only a few options in the $200 range.

Yes, building a fixed frame screen, or buying one is better, but I am aware that it isn't always possible. So, I would go cheap - until such time as you can find a good tab-tensioned screen on eBay. I got my tab-tensioned 106" diagonal electric screen for 700 bucks on eBay. MSRP: $4,000 Yes, there are deals to be had if you wait patiently and keep looking.

Anyway - the big 3 tend to be excellent: Stewart ($$$), DaLite ($$), and Draper ($$). But, with a manual screen it is hard to go wrong in manufacturing and cheap is the way I recommend. You WILL get waves in the material eventually from all that I have seen.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis