Manfrotto Veloce V DSLR and Laptop Backpack

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
Manfrotto Veloce V Backpack Review
MB SB390-5BB​

The Manfrotto Veloce V Backpack is a relatively small bag that can hold everything I need. The few requirements I needed in a bag:
  • Ability to carry my laptop (13.3" MBP)
  • Easy access to my DSLR (D5000 w/ 18-200mm)
  • Room for additional lenses (70-300mm, 35mm 1.8)
  • Ability to attach tripod
  • 2 strap backpack design
  • As stylish as a camera bag can be

Ergonomics, Comfort, and Styling

The bag itself is pretty comfortable to wear, even when it's fully loaded with equipment. I haven't worn it for very long durations yet, but the bag does a good job of supporting all of the weight. I found that my previous bag (Lowepro SlingShot AW100) was very uncomfortable to wear because of it's single strap sling design. I prefer the 2 strap backpack design even though it's at the expense of being able to quickly access equipment.

Having a laptop in the rear compartment of the bag makes it a little awkward because of how rigid the bag gets, but it's not a deal breaker as the back padding is still comfortable and I won't be carry around my laptop most of the time. The ability to carry my laptop was mainly for travel purposes to cut down on the amount of bags that I have to bring.

To open the quick access compartment, you need to unlatch a metal buckle. The buckle adds some nice styling, although it rattles sometimes.

Storage

In the picture, the bag is holding my D5000 with 18-200 lens, 18-55 kit lens, 55-200 ED VR, Klipsch Image X10i's in carrying case, 13.3" MacBook Pro with charger and a lens pen. The side pockets have extra batteries, memory cards and remotes. I won't be carrying the 18-55 or 55-200, it was just for storage demonstration purposes.

As you can see in the image, there is still plenty of room for other things. The tall pocket inside the bag is for a 15" or smaller folded tripod or monopod. Manfrotto makes a few that fit inside, but I can't seem to find them anywhere. Until I get a small tripod, I can use it for other things I need to carry.

For some odd reason, you can't take out all of the dividers. It's probably to maintain a little structural integrity. There is a plus shaped divider made up of one tall section and 2 removable side pieces. You can take those out, and from there you can fold down the top divider that goes to the quick access compartment. The tall compartment for the tripod is completely sewn in except for where it connects to the bottom of the bag.

Usage
The only way to access your equipment without opening up the entire bag is through the easy access hatch in the top. It only opens to that one compartment. To get to anything else in the bag, you need to take the bag off and unzip it. The zippers are behind the straps so that someone can't unzip your bag and take things out without you knowing.

Easy access compartment (sorry it's blurry, I wasn't using my camera :D)

The bag comes with 2 straps so that you can attach a large tripod to the outside.

Summary
The Manfrotto Veloce V is great mix of a transport bag and a day bag. It's ideal for someone who doesn't need to be constantly changing lenses or taking equipment out. You can quickly access anything in the top compartment, but it'll take a few seconds to get anything else from the bag. Compared to other bags that can also hold a laptop and a dslr, this is one of the more compact ones. Others can hold more, but at the expense of size and portability.

My only gripes are that the buckle rattles sometimes and that the interior should have different possible layouts. The color of the interior material should also be bright like the other ones I've seen. A waterproof cover would also be nice.

The bag retails for $100, and comes in black, brown, and white. I bought it for $70 from amazon.

Product Link:
http://www.manfrotto.com/product/8615.85655.17668.0.0/MB+SB390-5BB/_/Veloce_V_Backpack_Black
Amazon Link:
http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-MB-SB390-5BB-VELOCE-Backpack/dp/B004TA6Y8O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308954055&sr=8-1

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis