Making dipole subs work in small room?

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
<font color='#000000'>My knowledge of acoustics is nearly nil, so naturally I have a possibly wacky idea here based on some pretty superficial knowledge. Or maybe it's brilliant in a Zen &quot;beginners' mind&quot; kind of way. You decide...

According to diplole speaker gurus, a dipole sub needs to be about 4 feet from the wall at least to work properly.

I have read that adding diffusion panels to a small room makes the room acoustically &quot;larger&quot;.

So, my simple-minded conclusion is that diffusion panels placed on the wall behind the subs might possibly allow them to be placed closer to the rear wall in a small room by artificially increasing the apparant acoustical space from speaker to wall.

Am I taking the &quot;enlarging&quot; effect of diffusion too literally, or am I onto something worth trying?

I asked this on a DIY board (Parts Express) and except for a nice hint on cheap prototyping was greeted with silence.

On a totally unrelated note, I'm picking up my new Delta table saw tomorrow from Sears. Tired of fighting the limitations of a little benchtop unit. Like I said elsewhere, it's really all about acquiring tools!
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
<font color='#000000'>OK, so maybe it wasn't one of my brightest ideas!</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis