E

English210

Audioholic
I have 25 year old Infinity's that need upgrading. I have recently added PSB Synchrony S surrounds, and a Synchrony 2C center to have 7.1.
I read a lot about keeping the 'voicing' the same across the front, leading me to think Synchrony fronts are my best option. I am not quite convinced for my 2-channel listening that they are the best, though. I've heard some higher priced speakers that I have liked more, but then I'm concerned about the voicing issue. I've liked the new CM10's, Focal 1028's (loved that tweeter!!), Vandersteens....and I've thoroughly confused myself. Plus there are other speakers I'd like to try..

What are the thoughts out there on the necessity of sticking with like-for-like speakers across the front?? I do have an option on a deal for some Synchrony 2's, and I have a good sub, so bass isn't a concern. WAF is a concern, and the Synch 2's are very good for that. Most of the other speakers I've liked would require placement further into the room than my significantly better half would like.

I'm trying to convince my wife to let me have another room we hardly use to build a 2-channel system, but that would require a whole new level of $$ outlay.... ;)

Yes, I'm an addict....:)

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
It really depends. If you're a critical listener then you may notice a difference during movies and/or TV shows if there are any panning sound across the front soundstage. However, I noticed you said 2-channel listening. If you aren't doing any multi-channel music listening and it will be restricted to 2.0 and if you aren't too picky about such things for movie/TV watching than having a mismatched center and surrounds could work just fine.

Ldooderrino

Ldooderrino

Audiophyte
I'd keep things tidy and drop a pair of Synchrony Ones in the front stage.

E

English210

Audioholic
BWguy, I did too, but I'm concerned about the voicing with the PSB's I have. The CM10's may not give me all I want in a 2-channel set up where I'm more critical/active in my listening, and integration with my center might not be good - it might be fine, but it's an expensive gamble. I liked the CM10's, but the room I heard them in is opposite to the room I have - it is very 'dead', with lots of treatments, where my room is currently very live, with limited treatment option because it is the family room. So that's another concern with my speaker shopping in general. I almost bought a pair of display-model ML Motion 40's at BB over the weekend, just to try 'something', but I resisted since they wouldn't be either a match to the PSB's I have, or a big enough step up for 2 channel.

E

English210

Audioholic
I'd keep things tidy and drop a pair of Synchrony Ones in the front stage.
That has been my thought for a while, but I'm just not convinced by them for 2-channel. I've listened a fair amount at my dealer, who is happy to give me his iPad and have at it with all the material I want, but the environment is once again very different from mine at home. They wouldn't have as good WAF as the smaller 2's, which is where I'm leaning IF I decide to pursue a separate room for 2-channel. I don't do much multi-channel music listening as of now, but I'm thinking with a better sound, I'll be more inclined to listen than I am now.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I have 25 year old Infinity's that need upgrading. I have recently added PSB Synchrony S surrounds, and a Synchrony 2C center to have 7.1.
I read a lot about keeping the 'voicing' the same across the front, leading me to think Synchrony fronts are my best option. I am not quite convinced for my 2-channel listening that they are the best, though. I've heard some higher priced speakers that I have liked more, but then I'm concerned about the voicing issue. I've liked the new CM10's, Focal 1028's (loved that tweeter!!), Vandersteens....and I've thoroughly confused myself. Plus there are other speakers I'd like to try..

What are the thoughts out there on the necessity of sticking with like-for-like speakers across the front?? I do have an option on a deal for some Synchrony 2's, and I have a good sub, so bass isn't a concern. WAF is a concern, and the Synch 2's are very good for that. Most of the other speakers I've liked would require placement further into the room than my significantly better half would like.

I'm trying to convince my wife to let me have another room we hardly use to build a 2-channel system, but that would require a whole new level of $$ outlay.... ;)

Yes, I'm an addict....:)
You've auditioned the Synchronys at a dealer's showroom and you didn't lik ethem? Could it be the acoustic environment they are in?

E

English210

Audioholic
You've auditioned the Synchronys at a dealer's showroom and you didn't lik ethem? Could it be the acoustic environment they are in?
I did like them. It's weird, actually..I've heard them a couple of times, and on occasion I get a 'sense' of a veiled sound, but not always. The environment is very different from mine at home, basically a completely open space. I heard some Vandersteen Treos at the same dealer in another room, well treated with Ayre electronics, and was impressed with the staging, far better than the PSB's, but maybe that was environment and electronics. If I was closer to having the $$ in hand, I'd have asked to move the Synchrony's into that room and compare, but don't want to do that until I'm ready to pull a trigger. So, I've listened to CM10's (liked them, impressive staging, far better than the 9's which left me cold), 804's and 803's (804's in a bad setup similar to the Synchronys, so judgement withheld, 803's I liked, but they're too big really), and Focal 1028Be's. Those were in a room most similar to mine, but jammed a little tighter into the corners than I would have expected. Loved the detail in that tweeter, heard some new details in my recordings that were great, but they seemed to have less of a sound stage (placement?).

So I've liked all I've heard, but for different reasons. Ideally, the bank balance would support auditions of each in my room, one after the other until I got it right, but that's not an option, obviously. None have been 'all there' for me....yet...hence my other thread. Perhaps I can find the 'style' or 'philosophy' of speaker design that flips my switch and helps me narrow my search.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So I've liked all I've heard...
That's pretty much my sentiments with almost all the speakers I've heard in my house. The antithesis could be said with a lot of speakers I've heard at stores and dealers. :D

Environment and setup is crucial.

So when I hear people passing judgement about speakers they've only heard at stores, I definitely take it with a grain of salt. :D

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I did like them. It's weird, actually..I've heard them a couple of times, and on occasion I get a 'sense' of a veiled sound, but not always. The environment is very different from mine at home, basically a completely open space. I heard some Vandersteen Treos at the same dealer in another room, well treated with Ayre electronics, and was impressed with the staging, far better than the PSB's, but maybe that was environment and electronics. If I was closer to having the $$ in hand, I'd have asked to move the Synchrony's into that room and compare, but don't want to do that until I'm ready to pull a trigger. So, I've listened to CM10's (liked them, impressive staging, far better than the 9's which left me cold), 804's and 803's (804's in a bad setup similar to the Synchronys, so judgement withheld, 803's I liked, but they're too big really), and Focal 1028Be's. Those were in a room most similar to mine, but jammed a little tighter into the corners than I would have expected. Loved the detail in that tweeter, heard some new details in my recordings that were great, but they seemed to have less of a sound stage (placement?).

So I've liked all I've heard, but for different reasons. Ideally, the bank balance would support auditions of each in my room, one after the other until I got it right, but that's not an option, obviously. None have been 'all there' for me....yet...hence my other thread. Perhaps I can find the 'style' or 'philosophy' of speaker design that flips my switch and helps me narrow my search.
If you are seriou sabout purchasing tehm and yu have purchased form that store before, maybe an in house demo could be arranged.

E

English210

Audioholic
Yes, possibly. I guess I'm trying to narrow the field as much as I can before doing that. Hence my other thread about how to 'use' measurements as a predictor of performance, and this one about 'voicing' of non-PSB's with the rest of my PSB speakers.

connieflyer

connieflyer

Audioholic
The dealer that I have used in the past, would "rent" a pair of speakers to serious buyers, over a weekend to try them out. I did this with my purchase of PSB's and it was very helpful. He just did a pending sale on my credit card, and then if I brought them back the following week, he tore it up. As it was, I liked them in home, and just called and told him to put the slip through.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis