magnepan suggestions please

S

Scumfrog

Junior Audioholic
My wife is willing to put speaks in HER living room under one condition: Keep it neat! I am looking at the Magnepan wall mounted speakers. What are your thoughts on these speaks and what would you pair them with-cd player, amplification, cables, sub(?). I am on a budget, so I am certainly open to used/clearence/open box etc. Let's hear your suggestions for a Maggie (wall mount only please) based system with a max budget of $2k! Thanks in advance and good listening!
Scumfrog

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
Maggies are really good and accurate and their transients are unmatched.

O

O'Shag

Junior Audioholic
Quad ESL63 Electrostatic speakers

The magnepans are good. But if you are looking for a truly exceptional electrostatic loudspeaker, may I suggest you research the possibility of a second hand pair of Quads (of Huntington Park, England). The particular model you should investigate at are the ESL63, made up until the end of the 1980s. They are the successor to the ESL57 model which was in production from the fifties to the late seventies. The newer model 988s are well out of your range, and you'll pay $7 or $8k for a second hand pair.

Quads (dubbed Walker's Wonder after their designer Sir Peter Walker) are very well known in the audiophile community, and are generally considered to be one of the very best speakers ever made. They are the quintessential speaker that puts the music right there in front of you (because of their unique design which produces pristine midrange and highs) The downside is that they are delicate and are intolerant of mediocre electronics. Also they will not produce enough bass power for HT requirements. They are exceptional in the midrange and high end. I encourage you to do some research on the net as an introduction to them.

If you end up interested, they will not be easy to find as they are highly prized, but if your lucky you might be able to nab a pair in good fettle for about $1,500.00.

S

Scumfrog

Junior Audioholic
I thank both of you for your informative responses. I am, in all likelihood, going to go with the Maggies that can be mounted on the wall. My wife does not want a "shrine to audio"' in her living room:(. I plan on reinforcing the bass with some kind of subwoofer-something tight and musical. Suggestions?
Thanks for the great responses.
good listening...Scumfrog

U

Unregistered

Scumfrog,

There's an interesting thread about those speakers over on the avsforum. Most reports are pretty positive (some are ecstatic). A pair are $399, the whole 5.1 set-up around $1000.

One thing to keep in mind, Maggies like a good clean power source.

You may want to check out / post your question on the Avs forum (speakers forum).

www.avsforum.com

Have fun.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis