Magnepan 3.7i with Mcintosh MC452 - anyone

A

audiojunky

Audiophyte
Opinion needed for new possible amp

Currently running 3.7i's with the new Rotel RB 1590 Amp. Very pleased with it but have always wanted a Mcintosh and now considering a MC452. My son wants my Rotel anyway to drive his magnepans.

I am a little concerned that the Mac will be a bit low on power using the 4 ohm taps at 450 watt/channel.

The Rotel is a very powerfull amp that was conservitively rated at 350 watts/channel but in testing the unit delivered around 805 watts/channel into 4 ohms.
Tested by Hi-Fi-News-11-2015-Test-Rotel-RC-1590-RB-1590.pdf

My question is - anyone running a set of Magnepan 3.7i on the Mcintosh MC 452
My room size is 16' x 20' x 8' high.

I am currently steaming music from Tidal through a Mcintosh MB50 directly to the Rotel. The MB50 as a preamp requires me to run the volume around 50-60% for most music to reach my volume liking.

It is hard to believe the MC450 would not be enough amp.
Maybe best to leave well enough alone as I dont expect to hear much difference in sound quality. (The Mac Products are just so nice)

Thanks in advance

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

The odds of finding someone else using the same combination of rare, high-end equipment will be – well, rare.

Not sure I understand the concern with power ratings though. The Maggies’ sensitive rating is very average. A good 100 watt amp should be able to drive them just fine, unless your idea of “volume liking” is rock-concert levels. So yes, it’s hard to believe that the MC450 wouldn’t be enough amp.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Sen = 86dB/w/m

If distance is 16FT away, the speaker would need about 200W to produce 95dB, 250W to produce 96dB, 315W to produce 97dB, 400W to produce 98dB, 500W to produce 99dB.

Off topic, I can't believe Magnepan only gives a 1 YR warranty on the tweeter. :eek:

I also notice that Magnepan doesn't give a "power rating" like most companies.

Knowing that tweeters are usually the first drivers to blow, I would be very cautious with too much power and too much volume. :D

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
When I owned Maggies (mid-eighties) I drove them with Threshold amps but I see no reason why the Mac 452 wouldn't do just fine. It's a great amp that garners accolades where ever it roams.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Wayne, there is nothing 'rare' about Maggies or Mcintosh .......
They're relatively small production and owned by a relative few I think was the point. We'll see how many around here that have that combo comment....

It'd be interesting to know the OP's actual listening levels at what distance tho....50-60% on the volume dial doesn't tell a lot.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
They're relatively small production and owned by a relative few I think was the point. We'll see how many around here that have that combo comment.....
gotcha, understood, but in the grand scheme of the market to which they 'play in' they are not at all 'rare'. Both actually a strong 'cult' following .......

A

audiojunky

Audiophyte
Thank for the opinions. Took a while for responses to show up so I quit looking. I posted this only because of the concern that Maggies and Mcintosh dont pair well as stated on some other forums. (I think this is probably non-sense) but dont have experience with Mac's and the whole autoformer thing. The Rotel is definitely up to the job as I dont listen to music that loud. Just was not sure if the Mac would live long on the 8 ohm taps.

I believe that much of the stuff posted is blown out of proportion anyway. I am sure the MC 452 would perform for many years with the Maggies attached to the 8 ohm taps as opposed to the 4 ohm taps.

Again the only reason this would be done is if the volume levels were not comparable to what I am getting out of the Rotel.

A

audiojunky

Audiophyte
OK - I bit the bullet and got the MC 452. Sounds great and has plenty of power. Really about the same output as the Rotel. Does not seem to matter which Taps I use 8 or 4 ohm. I am running the magnepans on the the 4 ohm taps since they are 4 ohm speakers. The amp really does not get warm. I listen the the speakers with output meters indicating at around 10 watts per channel in hold mode. (45 watts is getting a bit loud.) I am around 8-9 feet from the speakers for reference so not very loud.

It goes to show that you really cant go by everything you read on the internet. (I would say Magnepans and McIntosh are a great match provided they are pair correctly)

By the way I got this unit as a last amp purchase just in case I move up in speaker requirement.

Thanks for the replys.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Congrats on the Mac, agreed on your comment re internet.......a lot of 'fake news' !

Enjoy your great combo in good health !

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
OK - I bit the bullet and got the MC 452. Sounds great and has plenty of power. Really about the same output as the Rotel. Does not seem to matter which Taps I use 8 or 4 ohm. I am running the magnepans on the the 4 ohm taps since they are 4 ohm speakers. The amp really does not get warm. I listen the the speakers with output meters indicating at around 10 watts per channel in hold mode. (45 watts is getting a bit loud.) I am around 8-9 feet from the speakers for reference so not very loud.

It goes to show that you really cant go by everything you read on the internet. (I would say Magnepans and McIntosh are a great match provided they are pair correctly)

By the way I got this unit as a last amp purchase just in case I move up in speaker requirement.

Thanks for the replys.
You want to use the 4 ohm taps. Maggies are just under 4 ohms. Using the 8 ohm tap will halve the power available to those speakers.

highfigh

highfigh

Thanks for the replys.
That's the problem with basing the buying decision on maximum power ratings- unless you'll actually operate the system at maximum power on a regular basis, it doesn't matter. If you normally operate at the 10W level, it could be argued that 100W is excessive unless the music you listen to contains peaks that cause your amp to clip. Neither amp, the Rotel or Mac, would have problems averaging 10W.

Also, I have never heard Maggies described as 'Made for high SPL listening'.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Power is usually overrated in most cases, but it sells.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
You want to use the 4 ohm taps. Maggies are just under 4 ohms. Using the 8 ohm tap will halve the power available to those speakers.
I thought Mac's 'autoformer' technology provided the same power regardless ??

Yep, just checked Mac's website, power is 450 watts on all three taps , 2, 4, or 8 ohm.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Power is usually overrated in most cases, but it sells.
That may be, but you have to admit that a system with enough power output to recreate music in a realistic way is a lot more impressive than one that limps though music, sounding like a cheap radio. However, a low-power system with great speakers can provide everything needed except extreme SPL, as long as it's operated within its limits.

highfigh

highfigh

Yep, just checked Mac's website, power is 450 watts on all three taps , 2, 4, or 8 ohm.
Into each respective load, yes but into the wrong load, it's not.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord

Into each respective load, yes but into the wrong load, it's not.
that wasn't the point.......
I read it again and came to the same conclusion. Now what?

If you don’t match the impedance of the speakers to the taps on the Mc amp there’s a chance you will not get rated power. Is that not what you’re talking about? If not perhaps you could clear things up.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis