Magnavox/Phillips CD player?

R

RickH

Junior Audioholic
I recently picked up a Manavox cd player....manufactured in August of 1985.
It weighs right around 20 pounds and sports a large heat sink on the rear and
a large power supply. On the bottom of the unit it says that it is made in Belgium. This is why I assume it is a Philips player?? Everything works great
and it sounds very musical to me versus a lot of the "new" technology.
I am using the front end of a Sony TA 4650 and an onkyo M504 Amp with it.
Is it my imagination,or is it possible this 26 year old "Boat anchor" has the
ability to sound better than most of the newer players I own,(HK& Rotel)
Anybody know anything about the technology behind this unit. It's the first cd player Iv'e ever seen with a cast metal transport tray!!

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
What is the Model #. I Have had 3 Belgium made Philips/Magnavox CD players all from the 80's. They are very good for a few reasons. They have swing arm transports, you will notice by the strange cuts in the loading tray. They are reseliant, though they should be weighing anything between 15-20 pounds. The lasers have glass lenses, which make them easier to clean and they don't warp. It also features the TDA 1541 DAC. These players can be modified as well. One of the modifications is to remove the oversampling feature which many view to be detrimental to the sound quality. They often have stand-alone DAC's based on the TDA 1541, which by the way was made by Philips as well as the transport.

Does the player have a digital output?

R

RickH

Junior Audioholic
magnavox cd player

My player is a model FD2040SL12

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The model # will be on the front, that is a serial # that you posted. Doing a search for a serial # would be like looking for a needle in a hay stack. The model number may start with FD, CD, or CDB then it will be accompanied by a 3-4 digit number.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
RickH said:
Is it my imagination,or is it possible this 26 year old "Boat anchor" has the
ability to sound better than most of the newer players I own,(HK& Rotel)

Most likely it is your first assumption:D

They did a pretty good job way back then. Well understood even then.

The mind can and does play tricks on us all the time. Knowing when is the difficult part.:D

ChrisJam

ChrisJam

Full Audioholic
mtrycrafts said:
The mind can and does play tricks on us all the time. Knowing when is the difficult part.:D
If I've learned one thing from you, mtry, it's this.

BTW, going back to the imaging thread I recently resurrected in the loudspeaker forum, yes, my gf is a keeper. :p

To others: Sorry for the brief thread-hijacking. I now return control of your browser back to you. :D <-- Sorry, I just had an "Outer Limits" moment.

Chris

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis