Made my own smoker!

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
I recently stole an idea from a cable cooking show on how to make your own smoker and damn if it didn't work!

I took a large (18" diam.) terra cotta flower pot and an equally large but shallower one for the top. I put a small electric hot plate in the big pot with the cord out the hole in the bottom. I set the pot on some spare floor tiles. The whole thing cost about a hundred bucks including the pots. You could do it for less with smaller pots.

On top of the hot plate went a small pan for wood and a Weber replacement grill rack for the meat. A meat thermometer went in the hole in the top pot to measure air temperature.

I did a dry run to adjust the hot plate to maintani about 210-220 degrees. As a trial I used a 2lb. boneless turkey breast which I brined for 36 hours. I smofed it for about four to five hours with cherry wood. For a first try it was excellent. It was a little salty but thoroughly and evenly smoked. Next I'm gonna try some salmon recipes I found. My goal is to convince the wife to let me do Thanksgiving on it if I get good enough. Worth a try and you never have to add more charcoal. :cool:

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Sounds like something that would bring a big smile to Alton Brown's face. :D

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
There is a good chance it was Alton Brown. I like the show - he's kind of a 'cooking twith science' guy and that makes it interesting.

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
It's Mr. Wizard's World with food...got to love it! :D

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
Yes it was Alton Brown. I felt a bit like McGuyver except I was being chased by spies.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis