M&K V-3B worth fixing?

F

firpo22

Audiophyte
I have an approx 20 year old M&K V-3B sub. I have lost all documention and can't find much on Google. The problem is that the volume control on the back is messed up. The sub cuts out if you bump the control and it only seems to have two settings - off or all the way on. It's too much for my living room. I need to get it fixed, but I was wondering if it was worth it. Does anyone know if this is a quality sub? Are the newer subs a lot better?
To give you an idea of the overall quality of my system - I have a pair of Magnepan MG IIIs, powered by a Hafler 500. Thank you for any info you can provide.

P

Pat D

Audioholic
The question is whether your sub is capable of doing what you want it to do. If so, it's worth fixing. I don't know anything about your sub.

Volume controls get dirty over time. My first inclination is to suggest you clean it with contact cleaner, TV cleaner, or even WD40. See if that helps.

If not, it should be an easy item for a competent repairman to replace.

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
Have you tried contacting M+K? That would be the first resource I would try. Of course me being the teckie type I would have already dis-assembled the sub and tried cleaning if not replacing that pot. :cool:

F

firpo22

Audiophyte
I took your advice and tried to clean the volume control and at least now I can turn it down. It still cuts out ocassionally so I will have to take it in for repair, but at least it is sorta working now. Thanks again for your help.

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
I simple pot replacement might be in order. If you're the teckie type you might want to give it a try. :cool:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis