M&K V 125 salvageable? Blown?

B

brianman2

Audiophyte
I have a M&K V 125 sub. A few nights ago I noticed a loud humming. I adjusted the levels, no change in hum. I disconnected the sub, no change. I moved it to several different ac outlets, still hummed.
After reconnecting it and deciding I could live with it for a while by unplugging when not in use, I noticed it started sounding like it was "thumping" at high levels. Not sure how to describe this other than the sound I hear at redlights when someone is playing loud hip hop and it sounds like the trunk of the car is coming apart.
Does it sound like the sub is blown?
Should I try replacing the driver?
Any help would be appreciated.

B

bandit

Audioholic
The humming could be a bad capacitor in the subs power supply. The caps job is to "smooth" the DC power that is fed to the output drivers in the amp as well as store energy for their use. I had a amp that did the same thing... and it was the bad capacitors. As far as the thumping is concerned, it is hard to say without hearing it, but if you have a raw driver somewhere perhaps you could connect that to the amp and see if it behaves the same, helping you to isoloate the problem to the speaker or the amplifier.

Good luck,

Bandit. :cool:

B

brianman2

Audiophyte
Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I will try that with the driver to see if I can isolate the problem
As far as the capacitor goes, is that something that can be replaced or would that mean the sub is totaled.
Thanks again

B

bandit

Audioholic
Depends on you I guess- or if you know someone that understands whats involved. I fixed mine for about 20 bucks in parts, but I've worked in the elecronics industry for years... Thinking about it you could also have a bridge recifier problem causing the hum.. None if these means a total - its just finding the right person to work on it if you aren't comftorable with it. There are also several good subwoofer plate amplifiers available on the net. Just do a google search on subwoofer plate amplifier....

Good luck,

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
brianman2 said:
Thanks for the reply. I will try that with the driver to see if I can isolate the problem
As far as the capacitor goes, is that something that can be replaced or would that mean the sub is totaled.
Thanks again
How long have you had the sub? It may still be under waranty. Call M&K with you problem and have the model and serial # ready to give them.

Here is the phone #(818)-701-7010

Leave your sub unplugged, if it is a bad cap it can start a fire.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
bandit said:
Depends on you I guess- or if you know someone that understands whats involved. I fixed mine for about 20 bucks in parts, but I've worked in the elecronics industry for years... Thinking about it you could also have a bridge recifier problem causing the hum.. None if these means a total - its just finding the right person to work on it if you aren't comftorable with it. There are also several good subwoofer plate amplifiers available on the net. Just do a google search on subwoofer plate amplifier....

Good luck,

M&K has very specialized amplifier designs, and they make there own amps. Finding one that would work well would be tricky, and finding one that would fit is down right impossible.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
Either call M&K or email them. Their pretty helpful and quick to respond.

www.mksound.com

There is a link there with all the email addresses.

Jack

majorloser

majorloser

I second the opinion to use M&K's service department. They offer a 5 year warranty on the amp and a 10 year warranty on the driver. And they are a very reputable company.

At the very least it's worth the price of a telephone call.

Miller & Kreisel Sound Corporation
9207 Eton Ave.
Chatsworth CA 91311
818-701-7010 FAX: 818-701-0369

B

bandit

Audioholic
The others have given some good advice here... its probably best to go to the manufacturer first. By nature I tend to try and do it myself first... but given the what you have going on, M&K technical support is a great place to start.

ps. Years ago - probably before subwoofers were popular, I owned an M&K. Sadly when I moved I sold it along with a pair of Dahlquist 9C's for not nearly enough money because I didn't have room for it all... M&K has been in business a very long time - and I'm sure their support is partly responsible for their longevity.

Good luck

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis