Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
A few months ago I picked up an Atlantic Technology 372BPM THX 15” subwoofer for $100 followed by the 12” version for $60. Both have performed well in unison with my sealed Mirage BPS-400 and for $160 with the help of REW & MiniDSP the performance has been fantastic. Needless to say THX speakers never excited me but recently I put together a two channel system just for music which leaves my 5.4.4 Atmos system only used for gaming and movies. Tonight I bought the complete M&K 750THX MKII setup off Mercari for $270 shipped to my door. I figure for under $300 it’s worth it to see if I enjoy THX speakers as much as their subs. I’ve seen the exact same L/C/R without the surrounds sell for $720 shipped on flea bay and apparently a pair new from M&K is $1400. I’ve always thought the THX logo was gimmicky in terms of speaker cable and subwoofer cables but from what I can gather they do undergo specific types of performance tests in relation to their speakers and subwoofers. The system arrives in a few days and I’ll post my thoughts once I have some time to set them up and dial things in. Mind you I’m replacing a Mirage OMD based system with the M&K speakers and I’ve loved Mirage for years now. It always seems like no matter what brand I buy to re-sell I’ll tell myself “I’m going to give these a shot” and within a week or so I’ve listed the new speakers and put my OMD’s back in their place.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I see M&K speakers on craigslist all the time and have been curious about them for a while. They're generally not cheap either. I'd be interested to hear your opinion on them.

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
298DAED3-3493-47F8-B086-1F9C03543FE1.jpeg
450AEACE-6203-4FFE-AD00-4AC5A20B717C.jpeg
60B2AC29-E351-48CF-A6E2-D5D0B4A5BC29.jpeg

So here’s the speakers. I’m waiting on stands to arrive today from Amazon for the mains as the way I have them now has them mounted way too high but it was my only option.

B

Bruce53

Full Audioholic
I've owned M&K speakers since 2003. I originally thought they were awesome. They are good, esp. for movies, not as much for music, but I did not have the top level ones. Now that I've been exposed to many different brands, the ones that I've had really do not compare for music, esp. the Salks. My whole system will still be M&K other than the Salks because I do not think that the surrounds and height speakers matter as much as the LCR.

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
I’m going to write a detailed review by next week now that I’m doing some good cinema/gaming this weekend. I setup a two channel system so this is solely for games/movies. I’ve been using either bipolar or omnipolar speakers for years now with a few breaks in between for the random Def Tech or Martin Logan or another random brand I buy to resell but I truly got used to the broad soundstage of the Mirage’s. That being said watching 13 hours in Atmos the scenes where there are 7.62x39mm rounds zipping by you are far more detailed and I feel spatially accurate than the Mirage’s. I’ve got meaningful bass output from 15hz-200hz so I always felt like having large towers for mains and surrounds was a waste as everything is crossed over at 80-100hz. Mid next week I’ll post REW measurements and an in depth review.

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
So I’m going to take REW graphs this weekend or early this week but for the time being my system consists of the following

AVR - Denon x4300h w/ a Marantz 200 WPC monoblock for my CC and a 4 channel Adcom 125 WPC for the 4 height layer speakers. The Denon runs the mains and surrounds
Mains - M&K LCR 750THX MKII; sealed cabinet with dual 5.25” midrange drivers and a 1” tweeter
Center - M&K Center 750THX MKII; sealed cabinet with dual 5.25” midrange drivers and a 1” tweeter
Surrounds - M&K Sur550 THXMKII; sealed cabinet with a single 5.25” midrange and a 1” tweeter
Front height - Definitive Technology ProCinema 1000; sealed satellite with a 5.25” BDSS midrange and 1” pure aluminum dome tweeter
Top middle - Definitive Technology ProCinema 1000
Subwoofers & MiniDSP 2x4 - Mirage BPS-400 (2x 12” sealed drivers) Dayton Audio Titanic MK II 10” sealed and an Atlantic Technology BPM272 12” THX Select sealed.

I’m using a bit of mix match for subs as I’m in the process of re-doing my entire 1960’s wood paneled basement and have discovered whoever originally constructed it just randomly placed the studs so it’s turned into much more of a project than I had anticipated and is going to take at least another month so my current 5.4.3 setup is temporary. That being said the subs are +/-5dB from 12hz to 200hz.

My MLP is 9ft from my TV. The left and right mains are 8.2’ from me, 6” from the rear wall and about 6’ apart. The center channel is directly below the tv, about 1.5’ from the rear wall and angled upwards towards my ears and 6.5’ from me. The mains have the tweeters at ear level and are slightly towed in towards my shoulder area when seated. Each surround channel is 18” from the wall and 4.3’ away from the MLP at 90 degrees and fire towards the MLP. My front heights are 9.2’ from me and as high as my 8’ ceilings allow with mounts and are angled slightly down towards the MLP with the top middles being 4.9’ from me and angled down at 45 degrees towards the MLP. Both height layer speakers are the same distance apart as the mains are. I have done extensive listening and between an 80hz, 100hz or 120hz crossover have found 120hz to work the best. I’ve had no issues with localization and in my specific acoustical environment so far it’s been the most optimal setting in regards to listening pleasure. All subs are level matched to 75dB as are all speakers using a calibrated decibel meter set at slow response and C weighting.

The M&K left and right mains reside on 22” MDF speaker stands on each side of my tv. When I initially decided I wanted to experiment with changing my system from all towers (as far as the mains and surrounds) I was a bit hesitant but even with using larger speakers like my Mirage OMD-28’s and OMD-15’s for surrounds, OMD-5’s for height layer and an OMD-C2 for a center, I crossed everything over at 100hz so I don’t feel like I’m really giving up a lot in terms of dynamics. I’ve setup a dedicated two channel system which allows my Atmos system to be used solely for movies and video games. After the long process of packing away my OMD’s for the basement overhaul I unpacked and setup the M&K speakers I had bought for $270 shipped to my door. I was surprised at the weight of the 750’s and even the smaller 550’s. They appear very well built and the cabinets are all sealed. They use a metal type grill which doesn’t feel cheap or flimsy, however I removed all of them for my listening.

After getting the speakers placed I ran Audyssey through the Multi EQ app on my phone and found it set an 80hz crossover all around with 60hz for the height layer. I initially set everything at 80hz and after a few days changed it to 100hz and a few days later 120hz as I mentioned. I limited frequency correction to 300hz and loaded the new calibration to my Denon after verifying that all channels were at 75dB.

First I watched a few scenes in 13 Hours via my LG UBMK-90 4K UHD player in native Atmos. The M&K’s throw up a huge soundstage and if anything I’ve become so accustomed to the Mirage OMD/OM series sound that going to a direct radiating speaker system has exposed A LOT of detail in movies I’ve seen dozens of times that I was missing. When the outpost is attacked by 60mm mortars the direct radiating ProCinema 1000’s really gave the impression of substantial ordinance descending onto your position (I spent 18 months in Iraq during OIF with the 82nd 1st/504th and have heard this plenty of times so I do have a reference point), in conjunction with the mains and surrounds and overall presence and impact of AK-47/74, PKM, RPG-7 and DsHK 12.7mmx108mm fire was output in a way I never heard from any combination of Mirage speakers I’ve used over the years. I had my doubts in terms of the CC as the OMD-C2 and even the OM-C2 are 30+lb center channels that retailed for a pretty penny and have never failed to impress me. The M&K CC is identical to the mains except that it’s used horizontally. The smaller 5.25” drivers and 1” tweeter are a mirror image of the 750THX mains. After about 30 mins of usage however my concerns melted away. Dialogue was clear and accurate with no distortion or sharpness on the “S” type words and it imaged directly from the center of my screen. Over the next weekend and following days I watched about 15 different 4K UHD discs all with either native Atmos or DTS:X soundtracks and found the M&K’s had no issues playing at ear piercing levels with no audible distortion. The action on stage is always represented acoustically in what I can best describe as a realistic manner. Watching John Wick 3, during the shootout in the market with Hallie Berry there are a few scenes where he or she ejects an empty magazine and releases the slide to chamber a round and this was very audible and clear even in the midst of a crescendo of 9mm, .45caliber and 10mm weapons fire. The end battle in the Continental Hotel where the enemy shooters are utilizing suppressed 9mm Hecker-Koch MP5A2 sub machine guns was represented very close to what that particular weapons system sounds like. It’s sonic signature is extremely muffled due to an integral suppressor and on film when it’s used the sound effect utilized is always either too loud, too soft or completely unrealistic, however in this specific movie it has one of the best sound mixes in relation to firearms sounds I’ve ever heard in my life and therefore I always use it to gauge if a particular speaker setup is to my liking or not. The playback of the 12 gauge shotgun firing was impactful and clear without being boomy or muddy. I than watched Ford Vs. Ferrari and was blown away by the clearness and accuracy of the action during the end movie Le Mans race in more than one scene. During one of the scenes your given an in car point of view and everything from the induction noise on the massive mid mounted V8 to the trailing but still audible opponent cars was present in my room in a way I’ve never heard, even using OMD-15 towers and OM-10 towers in the surround channels. I don’t want to ramble for too long, but my overall feelings on the M&K 750THX MKII setup is 9.5 out of 10 stars. For $270 I don’t think there’s a speaker system that exists that compares but when you get into the original retail territory (the 750’s are currently $1400/pr so you’re talking $2100 just for the L/C/R) there are plenty of other brands I would buy. Now that being said given the sound quality I’ve experienced thus far I would have no problem paying $700-$1000 for all 5 speakers but $3000? No way. However used and retail pricing aside it’s a very well built and engineered series of speakers from a company whose products I’ve never owned before

Please note I’ve never typed a mini review before and if it sucks or is amateurish it’s because I am indeed just an amateur. I will post REW graphs as soon as I get the time!

Last edited:
J

JengaHit

Audioholic
Nice review. Thank you for your service. Interesting comparisons.

My relative has a 5.1 M&K system comprising five ~18-yr-old LCR-45s and a 10"M&K sub, driven by an equally old Sony ES AVR (100wx5). Due to WAF the front and rear L/Rs are ceiling-mounted in the room corners and the center is on a shelf above the TV. Not ideal placement. Still, for such small speakers (4" woofer w/1" tweeter) I'm impressed with how big a soundstage they throw, and how loud they'll play without distortion (his space is ~2400 cubic ft). Their dispersion is quite wide. They sound smooth with just enough detail and excellent dialogue intelligibility. Also noticed after setting his center vertically upright from a laying-on-its-side position the soundstage became more cohesive. Soundstage could be deeper, but not sure if this is due to placement compromises. Overall, a nice little pkg that has served him well. With the bargain price you paid for newer and larger M&Ks, sounds as if you're set.

I also had OMD-15s. After an electrical spike blew their tweeters I replaced them with Hsu CCB-8s. I had the same problem with the Mirages. Loved the huge soundstage and "listen-anywhere" stable stereo image, but had trouble with dialogue intelligibility. Was always turning up the volume to understand dialogue. The CCB-8s, with just two speakers, solved that problem while also creating huge and deep soundstaging and a similar super-wide sweet spot for multiple listeners. On the right movie like Kong: Skull Island the imaging is razor sharp with sound FX wrapping to the sides of my room. With their neutrality they're also great for both movies and music.

J

JengaHit

Audioholic
Forgot to mention that when I was in the movie business and had occasion to sit in on some mix sessions it wasn't unusual to see M&K speakers.

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
Forgot to mention that when I was in the movie business and had occasion to sit in on some mix sessions it wasn't unusual to see M&K speakers.
Really? That’s very interesting! Judging by my experience with them so far I’m not surprised they would be utilized in a professional reference type manner.

J

JengaHit

Audioholic
The company was on the brink 12 or 13 yrs ago and rescued by new investors. The reconstituted company manufactures in Denmark with Scan-speak cones. That and their professional-market focus probably accounts for their price premium. You got a great deal.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@JengaHit what drivers did M&K use vs MK Sound? Wouldn't that affect design or did they do that as well? My general take on the "new" MK is it isn't as good but have seen little. Ken Kreisel went his own way with new designs afaik. I can see older studios maybe using M&K, tho....they did help define THX standards in the first place.

J

JengaHit

Audioholic
@JengaHit what drivers did M&K use vs MK Sound? Wouldn't that affect design or did they do that as well? My general take on the "new" MK is it isn't as good but have seen little. Ken Kreisel went his own way with new designs afaik. I can see older studios maybe using M&K, tho....they did help define THX standards in the first place.
I know the old M&K manufactured in the US but not sure where they sourced their drivers from. Don't really know if they fundamentally changed their design with the new company. Skywalker Ranch and Dolby used M&K back in the day. Sony in Culver City uses JBL professional speakers. But there are also a lot of small and medium-sized sound post facilities in LA servicing different clients with varying budgets; blockbuster feature films aren't the only clients. There's TV, indie films, music videos, advertising (consumer products and services, film/TV trailers & promos), corporate video, etc. Wouldn't be surprised to see different speaker brands in use across various facilities.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis