J

jsped

Audiophyte
Hi Everyone,

I have a Luxman R-113 that I bought around 1988. It's just starting to drop the right channel after about 10 minutes. I doubt that I can get it fixed.

Anyway, my problem is that I love the amp. (It has a very natural full sound. Not tweaking is required.) I just tried a Denon AVR-3600, and it sounds good, but it missing the natural and musical sound of the Luxman. Even my non-criticial wife agrees.

So, if any of you have experience with the Luxman R-series and have found something that sounds similar, please let me know. I'm looking for a basic 2-channel reciever. The less features the better. The main requirement is a natural full sound that doesn't need to be tweaked. My luxman reminds me of my tube guitar amps verse solid state amps.

In general, I'm a newbie to audio equipment. I found what I like the first time around. So please keep that in mind if you respond. Also, price is an object. I'd rather not spend more than $600, but I don't know the market.

Thanks.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Jsped;

I am very familiar with the old Luxman receivers. Great Stuff! If I can make a recommendation, the A120mkii from Onix over at AV123 is a solid contender. Its a basic integrated 2CH amp, doesn't have a tuner and only a basic remote that controls volume but it sounds phenomenal especially for its asking price.

J

jsped

Audiophyte
Hi Gene,

Thanks for the lead! It looks like what I looking for. It's currently back-ordered, so I'll bookmark it.

While just surfing ebay came across two brands - Jolida and Dared. Any thoughts on these brands? Although, I really need A & B speakers. (The looking is actually becoming fun.)

Thanks.

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
The Jolida will more than likely sound closer to the type of sound you are looking for. BTW there are many posters on this site who will say that all amps sound the same and refer you to DBT. Listen to your and your SO's own ears. :cool:

J

jsped

Audiophyte
Quick update:

There were some settings off on the Denon AVR-3600. After correctiing them, it sounds excellent. It definitely sounds better than the AVR-1601 that I previously tried. The AVR-3600 was very generously given to me by a family member who wasn't using it any more. I lucked out. Although it's a little big for the shelf, I feel fortunate to have it.

Anyway, thanks for the advice.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis