M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
Eliminating lumber could be due to supply issues. The whole bloody continent is short on supply of building materials. A 2x4 stud that was $2 is over $8 up here now and a $20 sheet of OSB is $50! We've talked to builders who have had the material costs for a new home increase by $100,000.
As a custom wood shop and a small manufacturer, I am totally feeling this. I don't buy from the big box stores but have major distributors. I start my opening lines to my sales reps with "You can stop laughing any time now, but do you have any of XXX in stock and what is the crazy price today?"

I do a lot of short run manufacturing for one of my customers. They have a long term contract that is great but also not great in that is locks in prices to their end customer. I feel like I've spent half of the last 3 weeks analyzing the material price changes and the impact to my customer. But because of their contract, I develop options for them because they can't just raise their prices. Total time killer, but it's why they keep sending me work. I take care of them in times like this.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I don't deal with Lowes simply because the last few times I've gone in and asked for someone they act like I'm interfering with their day and just try to blow me off.

I also dealt with them on a corporate level for work and they're equally stupid.

I'll go there for something specific that I need quickly, but that's about it.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Just watched a great video by Home RenoVision DIY explaining the current dilemma in the supply chain in easy to understand terms. Covered in the first 14 minutes. His next video examines what materials are available with recommendations on renovations that can be done now. Low tech presentation but great information.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis