G

greystoke

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Hi All! I'm a new user and like what I see so far.
Since I hav'nt spent any time looking at archives on this site, I'll just jump into the deep end and ask a question that myself and plenty other &quot;laymen&quot; would like a anwer to.
Paragon; Was [ or is ] it a actual bonifide brand? And if so, any hints on finding out model specs? And if not, does anyone want to comment on the stories of the infamous &quot;Van Salesmen&quot; that seem to cloud my previous attempts to legitimize a set of speakers that I bought cheaply in a pawn shop and am quite happy with?
Thanx, Greystoke
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
<font color='#000080'>I'm not sure you'll want to hear this, but there is no company I know of called Paragon that sells speakers.

Both myself and either Gene or Steve (can't remember which) have been approached with the white van scam (and, no they're not always white).

Basically, these are basement built speakers made with cheap parts and with no real acoustic properties. Most likely they we not designed, they were &quot;assembled&quot;.

Check out this website for more information.

As for specs - there are none, so you won't find any.</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>Thanks for the link hawke, I know a friend of mine who got scammed despite my warnings to him. Let us also not forget the infamous DAK catalog and its BSR, dbx scam.</font>

<font color='#000080'>You might want to read those reviews again. If paragon ever was a company, it isn't now and I don't see a single vendor listed on any of the 9 reviews. All are &quot;private sale&quot; or direct from factory (since there is no factory I suppose this means 'white van'). The Dynaudio drivers he refers to were more likely Dynalab Audio speakers - another nonexistent company.

They are part of the white van scam as documented by hundreds of web posts on the subject, as are PSD, Energy Acoustic, Acoustic Image, Dahltons, Digital Designs, Dodd Digital, Paradyme, and Dynalab Audio Technologies speakers.

Remember, AudioReview is just a place for owners to comment. For all we know some of the white van scam people went in there and posted their own &quot;reviews&quot;.

Buyer beware.</font>

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
<font color='#000000'>Hawke

I did a google search on Paragon after reading your last post and I&quot;m seeing conflicting info... &nbsp; If they are indeed a van speaker, than they have really but some effort into making it appear ligit.

Here's a link that sasy its a scam

http://www.soundreproduction.com/discuss....29.html

Here's a link that &quot;looks' legit

http://www.balanced.com/reviews/reviews/tav_5.html &nbsp;
(The regents is in the reviewers equipemnt list)

www.visi.com/~asm/Newsletters/asmFeb95.PDF</font>

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
<font color='#000000'>hawke

This last thought, &nbsp;It may have been at one time a legit company &nbsp;that has gone out of business and the name has &nbsp;picked up by the van crowd.</font>

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
greystoke : <font color='#000000'>Hi All! I'm a new user and like what I see so far.
Since I hav'nt spent any time looking at archives on this site, I'll just jump into the deep end and ask a question that myself and plenty other &quot;laymen&quot; would like a anwer to.
Paragon; Was [ or is ] it a actual bonifide brand? And if so, any hints on finding out model specs? And if not, does anyone want to comment on the stories of the infamous &quot;Van Salesmen&quot; that seem to cloud my previous attempts to legitimize a set of speakers that I bought cheaply in a pawn shop and am quite happy with?
Thanx, Greystoke
</font>
<font color='#000000'>I don't know if this is what your asking but, Paragon was the model name of a speaker that JBL used to make. I don't know if it was a brand.
I know someone who bought a pair of speakers from a van in South Phila. When he told the rest of us audiofools we laughed. The speakers were absolute garbage. He ended up pawning them. He now has a pair of Harbeth monitors. Are you from Philly? I hope you didn't buy them. &nbsp;I wouldn't wish that dreck on anyone.</font>

<font color='#000080'>What'll get your goat even more is the fact that aside form some random trademark similarity issues, they aren't really being prosecuted - as what they're doing is essentially legal (assuming they file their taxes).

It's the poor uninformed person who gets ripped off - thinking they are buying something that's high-performance.</font>

G

greystoke

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Thanx people for the info on &quot;Paragon&quot; speakers. I'm a little confused still because of the negative remarks that the particular pair I have don't exhibit at all. They're covered with that Fender 80's-90's 'M80' grey felt , about 4' tall,2- 8&quot; speakers 1 above the other in the middle, a louvered tweeter/horn? above and a bass port below w/grills on 8&quot; speakers and a suspect/cheap glued on Paragon logo. Probaly 1x1' front to back. I should have checked speaker brand when retrieving toys that my son inserted in port before I raised them outa reach. I did'nt pay much for them and to these admittedly jaded ears, they sound great!
Now... I've got a pair of GBL's-Just kidding!
Rick P. from B.C.</font>

G

greystoke

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>PS/ Paragon...Nope,not from Philly [Did'nt W.C. Fields say something 'bout that?] I forgot to mention- My above described speakers have some heft to them; on the order of 40-50 lbs. each. I 'm not that naive to equate weight to quality [Particle board/et al]; but for a supposedly rip-off
burn; They do appear well constructed. {Ergo felt covering?]
Again, Yours, Rick P.</font>

G

greystoke

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>PPs...Darn i messed up &amp; used my name instead of alias; Rick P. IS greystoke. And a good question it seems to me,is: Does anybody had a audio experience with these Paragon Pups or is it hearsay? Last question on this matter.
greystoke</font>

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>This is not cut in stone, but every speaker I have any knowledge of with grey felt or any kind of felt covering was designed to be a PA/DJ speaker. No value judgement. Just information.
</font>

G

greystoke

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>
Well; I went out there again; And you might as well capture your shadow! [ala Peter Pan} Lots 'o' hits but not ONE tangible site or hint about Paragon. The smoke that whoever generated seems to me {for a fly by night company} a lot of work for an attempt at reputation or hoodwinking. I'm totaly bugged. It's almost like 'there they were' and now a cover-up is in progress. I'm not suggesting the hand of the government...yet! Wait a min., I've got a ring at the door....whaa!... Paragon?, sure, Huh?...UUUrk!
Transmission Ends</font>

CyboLynx

CyboLynx

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>dude ...open them up ....see whats what inside ....im always opening speakers up to see whats inside ...

</font>

G

greystoke

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Dear Cybo-Licks:
Le-vi-ty; [n.] An attempt at humor characterized by it's light content that when successful,does'nt draw unfair critisisms from fans of the 'diceman'- that unholy progeny of Don Rickles and my ex mother-in-law. Any fair people that would like to stick to the spirit of this forum?
Rick P. from B.C.</font>

<font color='#000080'>I think CyboLynx just changed subjects on you and asked for you to open them up and see what was inside.

I am also curious as to what's inside. Any way you can post or email pictures?</font>

CyboLynx

CyboLynx

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>hey greystoke i wasnt refering to just rip them appart ...

i was just saying that you could open them up and inspect the insides look at the Xover and the drivers ...is there bracing in them ? whats the wiring like in there ...

thats all dude no harm in inspection

infact i have a set of speakers that are huge in size that im modifying ...adding bracing and soldering heavier gage wire</font>

G

greystoke

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Dear Cybolynx and others: Sorry I got defensive and all.Sensitivity is usually a foreign emotion with me. Yes I'll certainly take some interior shots of 'em' when my father-in-law finishes my new lp and gear cabinetry project- Everything will have to be disconnected and re-hooked then; so I'll kill the proverbal 2 birds when it's done. I'll need some help in posting same. I've got a digital camera but I'm pretty green on the posting of images. Once again I apologise for over reacting.
Greystoke</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis