M

mikey d

Junior Audioholic
do you guys use the loudness modes?

sometimes they sound good some times not.
when loudness is on for movies my sub kicks out way more LFE but sometimes i get some bad side effects with it on especially with music

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I never use them (I don't even think my receiver has this). Shouldn't even be an option if you ask me.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
Loudness is designed for "low volume" listening...it boosts the bass since bass is less apparent at low volumes. On some systems it's called "night listening" or something like that.

I don't use them at all. If i want more bass, i do so via my sub controls and EQ...

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
My receiver doesn't even have a 'loundess' button. The last receiver I owned with a loudness button was a circa '96 Onky TX-SV525 and I never used it.

Late Night or 'midnight mode' on a receiver is generally dynamic compression and not a loudness mode (and only works on Dolby Digital). I use compression all the time - especially late at night.

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
The last time I saw a "loudness" button was on my first receiver. It was a circa 1980'ish MCS....(JC Penney brand)

T

thundergust

Audioholic Intern
i think i have a loudness and a midnight setting...so i assume loudness just crank up the bass?

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
No...the "midnight loudness" applies dynamic compression. It makes everything closer to one volume, so you lose the large dynamic swings that happen in movies, but you can actually watch them and hear what's going on at a lower level.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
mikey d said:
do you guys use the loudness modes?

sometimes they sound good some times not.
when loudness is on for movies my sub kicks out way more LFE but sometimes i get some bad side effects with it on especially with music
You must have an older AVR. Those old loudness buttons would boost the bass and treble for low level listening due to rolloff at lower volumes. You should switch it off if listening at moderate to loud levels, as this will only add distortion to the output.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis